Problem with Courtesy light delay kit

Hi,

I purchased the courtesy light delay kit (SC June 2004) from Jaycar for my car and I tested it with a 12v power supply and it didn't work and then I tested it with a car battery and the Q1 mosfet exploded.

I am trying to figure out how exactly to use it. I tested it with a 12v light bulb in parallel with the supply and it blew. All the components look in the right places and there seems nothing else wrong with it.

Anyone have this article they could possibly look up for me and let me know how it is supposed to be wired?

Cheers, Craig.

Reply to
Craig

I would have thought you would get a reprint of the article with the kit. Contact Jaycar to check.

If not, you can buy it here

someone

This is the original article;

I suspect that when you tested it on the car battery you connected the terminals (which are intended to connect in parallel with the door switches) directly across the battery. Correct?

Such action will place the MOSFET directly across the battery and is guaranteed to cause it to explode. The whole idea of the MOSFET is that it acts as a switch which remains closed for a short delay period after the door switches are open thus maintaining the interior lights ON. Since it simply duplicates the door switches the MOSFET is effectively in series with the lamps and the battery thus completing the circuit. The MOSFET is never connected in parallel with the battery.

Just read the instructions.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Thanks for the reply.

I have thoroughly read the article but still having trouble. I replaced Q1 with a new one. I connected it to the car door switch and it doesn't work. The light just goes on and off normally.

Thanks.

Reply to
Matt

Thanks anyway. I replaced the optocoupler and it works now.

Reply to
Craig