Problem with Courtesy light delay kit

I purchased the courtesy light delay kit (SC June 2004) from Jaycar for
my car and I tested it with a 12v power supply and it didn't work and
then I tested it with a car battery and the Q1 mosfet exploded.

I am trying to figure out how exactly to use it. I tested it with a 12v
light bulb in parallel with the supply and it blew. All the components
look in the right places and there seems nothing else wrong with it.

Anyone have this article they could possibly look up for me and let me
know how it is supposed to be wired?

Cheers,
Craig.

Re: Problem with Courtesy light delay kit

I would have thought you would get a reprint of the article with the kit.
Contact Jaycar to check.

If not, you can buy it here
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_101664/article.html

Re: Problem with Courtesy light delay kit

This is the original article;
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_101664/article.html

I suspect that when you tested it on the car battery you connected the
terminals (which are intended to connect in parallel with the door
switches) directly across the battery. Correct?

Such action will place the MOSFET directly across the battery and is
guaranteed to cause it to explode. The whole idea of the MOSFET is
that it acts as a switch which remains closed for a short delay period
after the door switches are open thus maintaining the interior lights
ON. Since it simply duplicates the door switches the MOSFET is
effectively in series with the lamps and the battery thus completing
the circuit. The MOSFET is never connected in parallel with the
battery.

Just read the instructions.

Re: Problem with Courtesy light delay kit

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 06:57:25 GMT, Ross Herbert

Thanks for the reply.

I have thoroughly read the article but still having trouble.
I replaced Q1 with a new one.
I connected it to the car door switch and it doesn't work. The light
just goes on and off normally.

Thanks.

Re: Problem with Courtesy light delay kit

Thanks anyway. I replaced the optocoupler and it works now.

Site Timeline