Private Caller......

Sorry it's a little ' off topic '. I'm getting at least six calls a day on
my landline with ' Private Caller'.....displaying. Listening closely, the
line is silent. No tone at all. I let it dial out once to see what would
happen.......Nothing. Now I just hang up. Ideas anyone?

Many thanks.....

Re: Private Caller......

Well the latest two scam telephone calls I've received have related to
either:

 "We are the microsoft security department and your computer has a
virus so we need to access it"

or:

 " We can save you up to 40% on you electricity bill - all you need to
do is buy this box and plug it into any power point"

Had several of both calls (on both our landlines) in the last couple
of weeks.  All India based by the sound of it.

Perhaps a new use for call centres!!!!
--
Sell your surplus electronic components at
http://ozcomponents.com

voip
  speak to your telco if it continues and have it filtered

--

Re: Private Caller......

I've been told those calls were automated calls to determine if a resident
was home for future calls. We get them often.

I wondered if they were just error calls - the telephone spam system just
calls almost continuously and if an answered call gets "voice" it switches
through to a human who can try to scam/spam you. I figured sometimes the
queue overflows.

Re: Private Caller......

Google the phone number (xxx-xxx-xxxx).  It will show up if it is a scam or
bill collector.

Re: Private Caller......

Yeah, there is a site called 'who calls me" or similar.

The hang-up calls we get have the number withheld.

Re: Private Caller......

Err. It displays 'Private Caller'. No number is given.
Thanks anyway.......

Re: Private Caller......

I have been told that too, I suspected it was true as the thing hung
up too damn fast for it to be a human.
This might be done to avoid the call charge registering too - while
still providing the data they need.
Also gets more calls in per hour.

I would hate (for example) if this was a result of the automated
dialling software getting a bug and went doing this.

They probably don't do this as it costs them money if the call doesn't
get an available operator.
Even if each call only costs them a cent (or part thereof) it would
add up if it happened a lot and these
days costs are cut everywhere possible.

Re: Private Caller......

What do you mean, dial out?