Private Caller......

Sorry it's a little ' off topic '. I'm getting at least six calls a day on my landline with ' Private Caller'.....displaying. Listening closely, the line is silent. No tone at all. I let it dial out once to see what would happen.......Nothing. Now I just hang up. Ideas anyone?

Many thanks.....

Reply to
Metro

Well the latest two scam telephone calls I've received have related to either:

"We are the microsoft security department and your computer has a virus so we need to access it"

or:

" We can save you up to 40% on you electricity bill - all you need to do is buy this box and plug it into any power point"

Had several of both calls (on both our landlines) in the last couple of weeks. All India based by the sound of it.

Perhaps a new use for call centres!!!!

-- Sell your surplus electronic components at

Search or browse for that IC, capacitor, crystal or other component you need. Or find new components at

Alan

voip speak to your telco if it continues and have it filtered

--
Reply to
atec77

I've been told those calls were automated calls to determine if a resident was home for future calls. We get them often.

I wondered if they were just error calls - the telephone spam system just calls almost continuously and if an answered call gets "voice" it switches through to a human who can try to scam/spam you. I figured sometimes the queue overflows.

Reply to
Dennis

Google the phone number (xxx-xxx-xxxx). It will show up if it is a scam or bill collector.

Reply to
Herman

Yeah, there is a site called 'who calls me" or similar.

The hang-up calls we get have the number withheld.

Reply to
Dennis

on

he

I have been told that too, I suspected it was true as the thing hung up too damn fast for it to be a human. This might be done to avoid the call charge registering too - while still providing the data they need. Also gets more calls in per hour.

I would hate (for example) if this was a result of the automated dialling software getting a bug and went doing this.

They probably don't do this as it costs them money if the call doesn't get an available operator. Even if each call only costs them a cent (or part thereof) it would add up if it happened a lot and these days costs are cut everywhere possible.

Reply to
kreed

Err. It displays 'Private Caller'. No number is given. Thanks anyway.......

Reply to
Metro

What do you mean, dial out?

telemarketers?