Printing onto Plexi..

Anyone know how this is acomplished?

I'm guessing perhaps its special dedicated hardware, but was hoping perhaps
there is some form of transfer like system?

As an example, i've just bought this item:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item75%81398000&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

And it is simply a piece of printed plexi in front of a compact fluro light
source. I'm interested in creating my own, or at the VERY least, perhaps
interchangeable pieces of plexi to change the image. From inspecting the
piece I have, it appears it is printed directly onto the surface, but I'm
not sure how this happens .. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Printing onto Plexi..

Get a picture printed out onto an adhesive backed thin vinyl sheet.
This should be able to be done at a signmaker.

Re: Printing onto Plexi..

You could probably achieve something that looks similar by printing
onto a transparency and putting it behind clear plexi.

Re: Printing onto Plexi..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item75%81398000&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

For large runs probably screen or offset printed.

for small runs laser printed as a mirror image onto "trasfer paper" and
ironed onto the plastic, or printed direct to the plastic (which would
be something heat resistant) using a suitable laser printer (straight
path and adjustable for stock thickness)

Another option would be to print to transprency film and to bond that to the
front of the plastic.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Printing onto Plexi..

looks like a commercial job, offset printing machine with special ink.

you could probably get something fairly similar by printing
onto an OHP transparency sheet and bonding that to a thicker piece of plastic.

Yet another option would be some sort of photographic process.

If you can examine it under 20-200x magnification that may give some clues.
the halftones unsed for mechanical printing are different to the dithering
patterns used for digital printing, and the random grain of photographic
prints.

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Printing onto Plexi..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item75%81398000&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

See my post in response to your other thread.

Site Timeline