Power generation system. Part 2 - Page 3

Re: Power generation system. Part 2

"Trevor Wilson"

**  You need to broaden you horizons  -  Trevor.

If your power goes off  -  then so does the whole area.

There is an *opportunity* here.

Get a 20 kVA diesel gene and some long extensions, so you can supply power
to your immediate neighbours.

10 neighbours at say $50 a day could be quite lucrative.

Charge that pesky Leb next door double too.

.........    Phil

Re: Power generation system. Part 2

**Something I had considered, if I went diesel.

**Not a chance. Not for any amount of money.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Power generation system. Part 2

G'day,

Solar really only adds up economically when you're in the middle of
nowhere and have to generate your own power. Mains power is actually
really good value when compared to trying to generate it yourself.
Power 24/7 aint cheap to do.

If you want backup, have a look at second hand places, machine yards,
auctions etc. A quality second hand genset is better than a $100 pile
of shit from bunnings. I got a 3kVA online UPS at an auction not long
ago for $20, batteries were stuffed but after getting some new
batteries I had a 3kVA online unit for the same price as a 400VA
standby unit. Actually if you get an Active online type UPS you could
pretty much use any generator you liked as they rectify all the
incoming mains and invert it again.

Good Luck

Re: Power generation system. Part 2

Seriously, My house would run comfortably on < 1 kw/hr (not counting
washing machine)

I have compact fluros everywere, with only 2 - 3 on at one time, The TV
when used and computer,

Cooking / washing is done by natural gas. My last power bill was a
miniscule $70 for the last 90 days that, i belive is bloddy good.

we have 1 fridge and 1 chest freezer that run when needed. I dont use
heaters much if at all, the heat generated during cooking is enough to
provide the evenings heat.

if i were to switch most items to 12V (lights etc) i could run
alternative energy sources. why 12(24) up convert to 240 for lighting
when you can jsut use cheap and power friendly CCFL's? LCD monitors run
  internaly from 12v (most anyway) and as long as your not running a P4
your computer can run low powered too. shite, the acer 995 sempron
laptop would work well in an alternate power environment.

Houses don't need to use much power,just people are mindless about
leaving things on when not needed.

Re: Power generation system. Part 2

"Matt2 - Amstereo"

 **   Huh ?

 You have a gas powered washer ??

 You do not own an electric jug  ??

 I bet your hot water is gas though.

 Plus I bet you live where the climate is warm.

**  Many residences have no gas appliances or supply.

A small electric water heater takes 3.6 kW.

A basic electric stove takes 5 kW when the oven and 4 tops are all on.

A small room heater takes 2kW and an electric jug the same.

On a cold evening, while cooking dinner -  the whole lot may be on.

That is over 10 kW not counting lights, TV or fridge.

.........   Phil

Re: Power generation system. Part 2

no,. refering to hot water you know dishes, shower etc

Yeah but im refering to being able to run most / all heating without
electricity meaning that alternative power is viable

As i said above we have natural gas
No, ipswich is always colder than brisbane in winter, however jumpers or
jackets are great money savers

easy to have fitted or installed (a must for alternative electricity)
and the savings are pretty good to.

no good for alternative electricity
no good for alternative electricity
no good for alternative electricity
Gas is a clean viable and cheap alternative for all these. (and yes you
can get gas fridges, though the costs may or may not be different
Any thing that envolves heating can be run on gas. I perfer to cook on
gas simply because of control and instance.

The orig poster was on about alternative energy, i don't think hed go to
all the trouble of fitting a collector / bank just so he can use it for
burn an element. Resistive heat is the most draining on any power
system, using a burning flame is by far the most efficient way of
heating somthing. Gas matey, Gas.

Re: Power generation system. Part 2

message
: >
:
: The orig poster was on about alternative energy, i don't
think hed go to
: all the trouble of fitting a collector / bank just so he
can use it for
: burn an element. Resistive heat is the most draining on
any power
: system, using a burning flame is by far the most efficient
way of
: heating somthing. Gas matey, Gas.

I do share your sentiments on gas.

What a novel idea would be is to harness the great, untapped
methane resource that resides in Phil.  He is just so full
of the "brown smelly stuff" you could power a small city on
it ;-)

After reading that "Strobe" thread I very much doubt anyone
would disagree.

Regards TT

Re: Power generation system. Part 2

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 23:41:04 +1000, "Phil Allison"

Can't believe you didn't quote toaster specs. Should know them all.
1 room heater = 20 toasters, just you have to keep pushing to toast
button down all the time.

If loss of power is a concern then use an inverter for essential
lighting and power and use gas for the other essential items like the
oven and hotwater. Forget about using stuff like microwaves and
electric jugs for a few days while power is out.

Gas fridges are available, old man has a large domestic size fridge
running off BBQ gas bottles on his boat and then there's always the
Engel type smaller ones which are normally used for camping.
Maybe power the fridge a number of times a day off a genset used for
that purpose only.

Even in areas where town gas is not available there might be bottled
gas service available where they'll come and top up your tank or
supply two large tanks with a change over switch and swap them over
when you call and tell them you have an empty.

Trying to power electric hot-water and oven off an inverter is
ridiculous and a waste of money. Use the BBQ and install a back-up
instantaneous hot-water system off a 9kg BBQ gas bottle if needed for
a back-up. The later can be picked up cheap second-hand.

Re: Power generation system. Part 2

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 06:24:41 GMT, "Trevor Wilson"

Whenever I have contemplated something like this, I have always
wondered why no one has produced a small gen set that runs off town
gas ? Interruptions to the gas supply are very rare.

Would it be feasable to convert a small petrol motor to run off the
bayonet point a barbecue or heater connects to ?

Dave Goldfinch

Site Timeline