Power consumption chest freezer verasus refridgerator.

Similar internal size. Chest freezer is drawing slightlky more (5%) that
refridgerator(vertical door).
The chest freezer is opened 2-3 times per day, The refridgerator about
6-12 times per day. Refridgerator is still on spec for power consumption
according to the energey label.

Need regass? 30yrs old freezer worth regassing?
Or just go shopping for a new one?

T.I.A.

Re: Power consumption chest freezer verasus refridgerator.
Dump it and save 10%

--

Re: Power consumption chest freezer verasus refridgerator.
On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 10:30:59 +1100, terryc

Freezers usually use a bit more power than refrigerators since there
is a greater difference between ambient temperature and the internal
temperature for a freezer versus a refrigerator.

Door label energy consumption is worked out at 32C ambient. Most
refrigerators and freezers will use less than this door label number
at more reasonable ambient  temperatures. Freezers use closer to the
door label number  than refrigerators, since freezers run colder  than
refrigerators.

If the freezer is running at correct freezer temperatures (check with
a thermometer) I'd run it until it stops working.

At usual room temperatures it will take many, many years to get your
new freezer cost back from the greater efficiency of a new freezer.

Refrigerators and freezers cost roughly about $0.20/day to run. A 10%
saving is only $.02/day, or about $7/year. If a new freezer costs $700
then it will take roughly 100 years to get your money back from the
energy savings.

Ross

Re: Power consumption chest freezer verasus refridgerator.

How many c per KWH do you base that on ?

Re: Power consumption chest freezer verasus refridgerator.

RMD makes a valid point regarding economics. It would be useful to know
the actual freezer size and energy consumption figures involved.

Sylvia.

Re: Power consumption chest freezer verasus refridgerator.

Should also mention that a lot of the refrigeration gear made in the
1970's had much less effective insulation than modern units.  Have
seen several cases of this where people have upgraded and power costs
have dropped dramatically. This does not take into account other
things related to age or damage such as poor seals, insulation eaten
by rodents or insects etc.

Re: Power consumption chest freezer verasus refridgerator.

Yes, it's entirely possible that his power consumption will go down if
Terry buys a new freezer. If being green is his concern, then he should
probably do so. However, if his goal is to minimise his expenditure, the
cost of power has to be weighed against the costs (lost of interest on
the capital, if nothing else) involved in buying a replacement.

Sylvia.

Re: Power consumption chest freezer verasus refridgerator.

Okay, let me rephrase this.
Does anyone have a freezer with an energy label?
If so, would you share the estimated annual power consumption and size
please?
This will allow me to decide if my freezer is in the ball park or not.

Re: Power consumption chest freezer verasus refridgerator.

Have a look at http://www.energyrating.gov.au /

Re: Power consumption chest freezer verasus refridgerator.

Thank you. that was exactly what we needed. Shows how often I been
shopping for white goods recently.

In the end, we ended up replacing out approx 27 year old Westinghouse
210 Freezer, which is now consuming about 800 KWhr/pa(according to the
power meter) with exactly the same brand and model, but now is rated at
322 KWHr/pa. So, the savings of ~$95pa will pay for it in six years.
Probably less the way electricity prices in NSW are taking off.

Site Timeline