Possible PIC project

The boss wants me to make a timer for her exercise regime. It needs to flash
a LED and/or make a sound every 12 seconds, then every 5 seconds (or
something like that). I was going to choose a couple of CMOS 555 timers, but
then I thought this could be a good way for me to learn about PICs. I've yet
to make the plunge into mucking about with them, so what are the thoughts?
PIC or 555s? It's not urgent.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Possible PIC project
Have a look at picaxe.
http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe /
Skim over the breathless hype and these pages will give you a good idea of
what picaxe can do.
The picaxe 08 and 08M have a wide range of applications. The project you
mention would need about ten lines of code.
Altronics, amongst others, sell them.
I have become an enthusiastic convert in the last couple of weeks, and like
all converted enthusiasts, I want to spread the word.

Re: Possible PIC project
On Sep 10, 8:29 am, "Trevor Wilson"

A PIC will be more versatile.
If you just want the job done with least fuss, then PICAXE is the
easiest and cheapest way. Can be programmed with flowcharts if needed.

If you want to learn "real" PIC's then you'll need a programmer. I'd
recommend a genuine Microchip programmer, the PICkit2. Cheap, works
with MPLAB or standalone, and you can get ZIF socket adapters for it
(it's an in-circuit programmer on it's own).

What software experience do you have?
PIC assembler is really not that fun, and I'd recommend C if you have
the experience.
There is BASIC too if that makes you more comfortable.
A PIC16F88 is a good general purpose PIC chip to use, but anything
will do for this app.
Start by modifying example apps to get a hang of the compile-program
development sequence in the toolset of your choice.
MPLAB will do assembler, and you can get C or BASIC compilers that
plug into MPLAB and use that as an editing environment.
Otherwise you could use say the PIC-C lite software on its own that
generates the .HEX file and then use your programmer software - no
need for MPLAB in that case.

Learn about the configuration fuse bits - a trap for young players.

Dave.

Re: Possible PIC project
If you want to do it in assembly I'd go for AVR, a lot simpler for
beginner than PIC. If you want easier approach then there is PICAXE or
Bascom (for AVR). Or C compilers for both. For that size project any
demo code limited tool will work.

Tom

Re: Possible PIC project

**Update. Thanks for the suggestions. I will look at the PICAXE. I can do
the hardware, the boss can do the software (she, being comfortable with C
programming). I did machine code about million years ago, along with a
smattering of BASIC and FORTRAN. None of which I particularly cared for. She
uses C on a daily basis. She wants her toy, she can get involved. could be
fun. Or there could be tears. We'll see.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Possible PIC project

When I said there are C compilers for both I've meant PIC and AVR, PICAXE is
based on PIC but programmed in Basic (very simple to figure out if you know C)
and the propgram is loaded via serial port, there is no need for special
programmers.

Tom

Re: Possible PIC project

**Ah. Thanks for the clarification.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Possible PIC project

Picaxe is a great way to go for applications like you mentioned above
Trevor, however you will soon find the limitations if you wish to
proceed onto more involved applications.

have a read of:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/dontronics-newbies-start-here.html
and the pic programmers at:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/olimex.html

Picaxe will do what you want. Perhaps you could use it to get your feet
wet, as a lot of people do, and if you really want to learn about PICs,
then get something a bit more serious later on.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Possible PIC project

**Thanks Don. I'll peruse your site and see what I can find. I presume there
is a discount for repeat, regular customers? I purchased a 256kB printer
buffer (using second hand memory chips) from you awhile back. I presume
you'll trade it in, as I no longer have a need for it.

:-)

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au