Polymorph Plastic Pellets?

These Polymorph plastic pellets look cool:

Anyone used them?

Think I'll throw some on my next Jaycar order.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

It's this stuff apparently:

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Haven't used them but it looks you cant leave the stuff inside the car on a sunny day.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

When cooled it's physically fairly tough and hard. Should be good for any low temp applications although I wonder what the dielectric loss and dielectric constant are.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

From the Wiki link: "PCL has been known to become brittle, lose its tensile strength and fall apart after several months so is not suitable for permanent or critical applications." Doesn't sound its good even for low temp.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Could be very useful for investment casting, provided it "melts" easily enough. Is this the stuff that prototyping printers use?

James.

Reply to
James

That's when you mark it as "biodegradable" and double the price.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

That's no problem if you making staff for sale, different story if you building something for yourself... Tom

Reply to
Tom

Used them a couple of times for non-electronic stuff. Last was to make a plastic "handle" for a key which I had to modify slightly. It works fine but I found getting a good finish was difficult after hardening - filing was not very successful so I had to remelt and get a better shape second time round. If you have some sort of mould it should be fine.

--
Geo
Reply to

We used PCL for years for making electrospun fibers in the 1 micron range. It doesn't decay that much at all, indoors. It is brittle, but gives/flexs slightly like most non blended polymers. Dissolves nicely in warm acetone if you heat it about 10'C over room temp. The acetone quickly evaporates, so you can "paint" with it. Yes, it is what the home rapid prototyping machines use. It doesn't like sunlight unless you add a UV stabilizer.

Steve Roberts

Reply to
osr

The machine shop was interested in this. Someone also had bought some two part thermal epoxy, that was machinable and nonconductive for another application. I don't have that info right now.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Don't forget to read the fine print: "PCL has been known to become brittle, lose its tensile strength and fall apart after several months so is not suitable for permanent or critical applications."

--- from that WIKI article.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

And I thought I just read something about use inside the body ??

greg

Reply to
GregS

And apparently it's fine for use inside dental fillings. For some uses the plastic is mixed with starch. Possibly it's the impurities that cause problems, just like higher quality epoxy has simply been purified of any contaminants from the manufacturing process.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Pure pcl is highly biocompatable, when we electrospun it, it was for skin cell scaffolding for burn patients.

Steve

Reply to
osr

Hi

I used some many months ago to repair a broken Thermos Stopper. (Top & insides broke). As others have mentioned, it doesn't give the best finish & I found it easy to get it contaminated (discoloured), but it worked & is still going strong.

Brian Toowoomba, QLD

Reply to
Brian