Polymorph Plastic Pellets?

These Polymorph plastic pellets look cool:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=NP4260

Anyone used them?

Think I'll throw some on my next Jaycar order.

Dave.

Re: Polymorph Plastic Pellets?

It's this stuff apparently:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycaprolactone

Dave.

Re: Polymorph Plastic Pellets?

    When cooled it's physically fairly tough and hard.
Should be good for any low temp applications although
I wonder what the dielectric loss and dielectric constant
are.

Re: Polymorph Plastic Pellets?

From the Wiki link: "PCL has been known to become brittle, lose its tensile
strength and fall apart after several months so is not suitable for permanent or
critical applications."  Doesn't sound its good even for low temp.

Tom

Re: Polymorph Plastic Pellets?

   That's when you mark it as "biodegradable" and double the price.

Re: Polymorph Plastic Pellets?
That's no problem if you making staff for sale, different story if you building
something for yourself...
Tom

Re: Polymorph Plastic Pellets?

Don't forget to read the fine print:
"PCL has been known to become brittle, lose its tensile strength and fall
apart after several months so is not suitable for permanent or critical
applications."

 --- from that WIKI article.

Cheers!
Rich

Re: Polymorph Plastic Pellets?

And I thought I just read something about use inside the body ??

greg

Re: Polymorph Plastic Pellets?

  And apparently it's fine for use inside dental fillings.  For
some uses the plastic is mixed with starch. Possibly it's the
impurities that cause problems, just like higher quality epoxy
has simply been purified of any contaminants from the manufacturing
process.

Re: Polymorph Plastic Pellets?
Pure pcl is highly biocompatable, when we electrospun it, it was for
skin cell scaffolding for burn patients.

Steve

Re: Polymorph Plastic Pellets?
Haven't used them but it looks you cant leave the stuff inside the car
on a sunny day.

Tom

Re: Polymorph Plastic Pellets?

Could be very useful for investment casting, provided it "melts" easily
enough. Is this the stuff that prototyping printers use?

James.

Re: Polymorph Plastic Pellets?

Used them a couple of times for non-electronic stuff. Last was to make a plastic
"handle" for a key which I had to modify slightly. It works fine but I found
getting a good finish was difficult after hardening - filing was not very
successful so I had to remelt and get a better shape second time round.
If you have some sort of mould it should be fine.

--
Geo

Re: Polymorph Plastic Pellets?
We used PCL for years for making electrospun fibers in the 1 micron
range. It doesn't decay that much at all, indoors. It is brittle, but
gives/flexs slightly like  most  non blended polymers.  Dissolves
nicely in  warm acetone if you heat it about 10'C over room temp.  The
acetone quickly evaporates, so you can "paint" with it.  Yes, it is
what the home rapid prototyping machines use. It doesn't like sunlight
unless you add a UV stabilizer.

Steve Roberts

Re: Polymorph Plastic Pellets?

The machine shop was interested in this. Someone also had bought some two part
thermal epoxy, that was machinable and nonconductive for another application.
I don't have that info right now.

greg

Re: Polymorph Plastic Pellets?
Hi

I used some many months ago to repair a broken Thermos Stopper. (Top &
insides broke). As others have mentioned, it doesn't give the best finish &
I found it easy to get it contaminated (discoloured), but it worked & is
still going strong.

Brian
Toowoomba, QLD

Site Timeline