Plugging PowerBoards into PowerBoards. Dangerous?

Hi guys.

My house doesn't seem to have enough power sockets.  Where my home
entertainment unit is I've plugged 4 power boards with 4 sockets each
into each other.  Can this cause problems?  Is this dangerous?  If so
what are the alternatives.  Should I get more sockets installed?

Thanx 4 looking.

Re: Plugging PowerBoards into PowerBoards. Dangerous?

It's not dangerous, if you draw too much power the circuit breaker will
trip. The wiring is rated to a higher current than the circuit breaker
so you shouldn't have any problems.

Re: Plugging PowerBoards into PowerBoards. Dangerous?

As the other poster said, it's not dangerous in itself. If you have the
correct wiring and overload protection you have nothing to really worry
about. Even the $3 Bunnings power boards have overload protection.
If you need lots of outlets though you are best off getting an 8 outlet
board and changing your power point to a dual. So you can get 16
outlets without stacking boards.

We officially aren't allowed to use ANY power boards at work, but of
course we do otherwise we wouldn't be able to power up our computer let
along get any work done.
It used to be a few years back that we were allowed to use power boards
but *not* stack them, but in the last few years the OH&S drones have
told us no power boards at all.

Dave :)

Re: Plugging PowerBoards into PowerBoards. Dangerous?

Well the thing to do here is to do it their way, remove all power boards and
let them fix the problem. A system shouldn't be patched up, it should be
made to break so THEY can fix it properly, (Or for them to change the rules
and then when it goes wrong, you are covered by insurance, compo, whatever.)
I can understand that you have your ethics to go by, that you are there to
do a job and you do it to the best of your abilities, but all that happens
with defective systems, is that management or whoever, just lets you save
them the hassle of them doing their job and if it all goes wrong, then it is
your fault. O.H.&S. works both ways.

......................... We officially aren't allowed to use ANY power
boards at work, but of

Re: Plugging PowerBoards into PowerBoards. Dangerous?

You obviously haven't worked in the companies I've work for! ;-)

Conflicting rules and standards are simply a way of life. Common sense
and reason do not exist when everyone serves more than one master.
If you sit there and refuse to do anything until they fix something,
they won't fix it, they will simply order you to bend the rules. Or
they invent a formal process to allow you to bend the rules in this
instance etc, but then it all just changes at the next restructure
anyway...
It's even more complex in multi-national organisations were rules can
come down from overseas HQ that don't make any sense here, but that's
the way it is.

OH&S will have a rule like this power board thing, and they might
report to someone overseas and 3 levels and several divisions removed
from your boss. You complain to your boss about it, and literally
nothing can be done because of the signal-to-noise ratio that exists
between your boss and the OH&S department head. It's all fundamentally
impossible to fix.

So you have the option to a) Quit, b) Go insane, or c) Simply ignore
the rule.

Oh, and you have to learn that everything is your fault anyway! :->

Dave :)

Re: Plugging PowerBoards into PowerBoards. Dangerous?

That's reserved for when you leave the company.  ;-)

Re: Plugging PowerBoards into PowerBoards. Dangerous?

Who stuffed it up?
 It was that Dave guy that left a couple of weeks back...................

Anyone one seen the XYZ?
That Dave guy that left a couple of weeks back had it
last.......................

    : )

Re: Plugging PowerBoards into PowerBoards. Dangerous?

qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au:

 Of course, if no-one has left the company for a while, responsibilty
for all such things reverts to Some Cnut!

 "Ahhh, Some Cnut stole me pliers!"

 "Some Cnut's made a right royal balls-up of this!"

 I reckon that once we track down Some Cnut, his mate "What Bastard",
and that woman in China who gives birth to a baby every four seconds,
and deal with them, the world will be a much nicer place!

GB
--
 "Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the
  entrails of the last priest." (Diderot, paraphrasing Meslier)

Re: Plugging PowerBoards into PowerBoards. Dangerous?

Ah  yes, the elusive Chinaman Sum Cnut.

Re: Plugging PowerBoards into PowerBoards. Dangerous?

No. It was the idiot who said it couldn't be done.

I left it in the filing cabinet in the boss's office, filed under
"Bet they won't look in here."

;-)

Re: Plugging PowerBoards into PowerBoards. Dangerous?

I've always found it safer to say "nope, never seen it".

Re: Plugging PowerBoards into PowerBoards. Dangerous?

Not if you can blame someone else

Re: Plugging PowerBoards into PowerBoards. Dangerous?

Ask for it in writing {:-).
Then brush up your resume.

Re: Plugging PowerBoards into PowerBoards. Dangerous?

<snort> I remember what the reaction, during planning meetings for an
office relocation, on both the contract eleco's face and then the
"boss's face" when I stated that I needed 8 outlets per computer
workstation position.[1]

"they" decided to settle for double GPO and two 4 port boards at each
location, unofficially of course. {:-).

The only problem that surfaced after moving in was the fact that one GPO
was easily accessible to the cleaner for floor polishing machine use  =
woops, where is the power at 5:30pm each friday. The extra power for
that powerful motor was enough to trip the circuit. Solved by taping it
over and telling them to just use the second power circuit (metting
rooms) on the otherside of the hallway

[1] unix workstation and monitor(2), pc and monitor(2) as minimum, then
any combo of external tape and/or hard disks(2), printer/plotter, lamp,
digitiser, etc, etc.

Re: Plugging PowerBoards into PowerBoards. Dangerous?

< snipped-for-privacy@mail.tpg.com.au

 **  Very common problem.

** Not really  -  but using a 6 or 8 way board makes more sense.

** Last time I asked a sparkie -  the max number of power outlets permitted
on a single 15 amp rated circuit was 20 ( doubles count as 2).

.......   Phil

Re: Plugging PowerBoards into PowerBoards. Dangerous?

If you have a 15 amp rated circuit then all of your outlets would have
to be rated at 15 amps or more, for example, pulling 15 amps through a
10 amp outlet would burn out the outlet. 15 amp outlets aren't very
common and 15 amp plugs even less so. I think you'll find the rules now
say you can have as many outlets as you like as long as it's protected
by a circuit breaker that limits the maximum current to whatever the
rest of the circuit is rated to.

Friday

Re: Plugging PowerBoards into PowerBoards. Dangerous?

"Friday

 **  Nonsense.

** Domestic appliances cannot be approved if they can draw greater than 10
amps rms (continuously) via a standard 3 pin plug  -  so a 10 amp 3 pin
power plug and outlet are not overloaded.

The breaker in the fuse box protects the *cable* inside the wall  -  15, 16
or 20 amp ( thermal /magnetic) breakers are seen on most domestic power
circuits.

Modern multi-way power boards have 10 amp *thermal breakers* fitted to them
SO their cable and 3 pin plugs are protected.

The limit on the number of installed power outlets on a single circuit in a
domestic situation has varied over time and  from state to state. The
"sparkie" I asked was in NSW.

.......   Phil

Re: Plugging PowerBoards into PowerBoards. Dangerous?

That "sparkie" was wrong! And the wiring rules are an Australian
Standard, and the limit on socket outlets never varied from stated to state.

David

Re: Plugging PowerBoards into PowerBoards. Dangerous?

"David"

 **  No surprise.

** Not all of them.

The rules regarding compulsory fitting of ELCBs to the fuse box vary from
state to state.

Qld requires one to be fitted if premises change owner.

NSW does not,  unless new power circuits are fitted.

 **  I'll take your word on that.

Re: Plugging PowerBoards into PowerBoards. Dangerous?

And some sparkies will skip one for the garage circuit if you ask nicely.

It was 10 in NSw at one stage.

Site Timeline