Plimer and Silicon Chip - Page 10

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

Largely developed by dissident german scientists.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

<http://cer.ucsd.edu/~james/notes/MIT%20OpenCourseWare/MIT%20Radiation%20Lab/

So was it used by the Germans or the Americans?

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

<http://cer.ucsd.edu/~james/notes/MIT%20OpenCourseWare/MIT%20Radiation%20Lab/

   Don't confuse him with facts.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

<http://cer.ucsd.edu/~james/notes/MIT%20OpenCourseWare/MIT%20Radiation%20Lab/

Do you understand the word dissident?

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

Don't confuse him with facts.

MrT.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

   Confuse who?  It is a well know fact in WW-II history.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

Definitely a different "history" book to you. Yours must have entirely
forgotten that WWII was basically won by the Russian. The USA only joined
at the end to protect the loans they had made to the UK and Australia had
already beaten the Japanese to a stand still with the rump of their
forces.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

Maybe he reads ones NOT written by the yanks!

The Hawaiians would probably be speaking Japanese I guess.

MrT.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

My main critisism of SC is that, now so many projects are microprocessor
based, mostly they do not include the source code. In the "Old days" you
could build a project from a magazine either straight as published, or
modify is as you saw fit. Now, the hardware in many cases is simply the
framework that lets the firmware do the job. Without the source code,
there is no option but to build exactly as specified, and it is all just
a soldering exercise.

Probably a set of articles on programming some of the more popular
microprocessors would be an excellent thing for them to publish.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

"keithr"

** Bob Parker's most famous  " ESR Meter " article did not include the
source code.

Cos no-one alive could make head nor tale of it if he did include it.

But Bob   WAS  able exercise some control over kit suppliers because of
that.

Cept for that *appalling* Rod Irving character.

RIP.

**  Pathway straight into to hell and bankruptcy is that idea.

.....   Phil

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

Speak for yourself Phil :)

Why would that be?

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

Must be a decade ago(?) that they did an intro to something (smaller than
PC micro).

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

Aha, that why I didn't see it, I was living in the US at that time.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

Someone has twigged my memory. I think it was a PIC controller project
for opening a chook shed door on sunrise and closing it at sunset.
Probably other stuff since as I stopped buying it soon after.

The problem with microprocessor stuff is that there are too many flavours
of the small stuff and build your own gets very complicated, messy and
expensive very fast. At some point, it shifts into "programming" rather
than electronics. Then it becomes a question of how deep your pockets are
unless you are a skilled machinist to make actuators, etc.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

In industry PLC or computer control is pretty much the norm these days.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

A lot of their projects simply wouldn't be able to exist, or be too
expensive / complex/  time consuming to build / have fewer features /
draw more power  without the use of a micro.
Projects now have to be more exciting and feature packed to get people
interested in building or even reading about them. People are too used
to that with consumer products and expect as much as possible in the
way of features etc.

They did do a beginners series on PIC programming a while back, though
not in assembly language.
showed how to interface LEDs Temperature/light sensors, I think even a
RS232 link between 2 PICS - all laid out on a breadboard with plenty
of diagrams, drawings and instructions so that even an inexperienced
person couldn't really get it wrong.

On some of the more basic microprocessor projects source code is
available from their website.

It might possibly even have had an I2 sqared bus on that IIRC and
details on the protocol for talking to the serial Flash Rams etc. (I
cant remember if that was a PIC or something else, it was on a small
PCB board that included a lithium coin cell.   They also did a
detailed article on how the I2 squared bus works in detail, including
the protocols involved in all the data transfer modes.

These days it seems to be mostly PIC and AVR in common use by SC.
There are many websites out there with a wealth of info on these.

It would probably be way too big an article to put in SC, remembering
also that 99% of people would probably not have a clue exactly what
goes on in a microprocessor, and this may be hard to explain to a lot
of the target audience, let alone following up on teaching them how to
code something useful out of it without enormous frustration at the
bugs that will inevitibly occur.

Some of the projects in that mag would be major tasks to code for even
reasonably experienced people - especially if the micro involved isn't
one they have experience in already.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

I'm not complaining about the use of micros, just that without the
source code, you only have a fraction of the design. The circuit diagram
shows very little of how the thing works and if you want to modify the
functionality, you are pretty well stuffed.

If it was within the last 5 years, I must have missed it, prior to that
I was out of the country for a bit over 5 years so I wouldn't have seen it.

The thing about tinkering with the microcode is that in the ordinary way
of things you can't break anything and if you stuff it up you can always
flash the original code back in.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

And to think less than 6 months ago you were actually citing my design in
Renew:

http://groups.google.com.au/group/aus.electronics/tree/browse_frm/thread/4f06065b81482e6c/b3f88bf641b70c0a?rnum=1&_done=%2Fgroup%2Faus.electronics%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fthread%2F4f06065b81482e6c%2F2f71e846b6866150%3F#doc_25e72e519b42fd95

Go figure.

Dave.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

A hardcore left-wing propaganda machine like the current ABC is hardly
an impartial or reliable source of review or credibility.  I got so
sick of their blatantly biased spin on their news / current affairs /
business programs in the last 12 months or so, that I have had to give
up watching most of these programs, or be ready to hit the channel
change button. There is virtually no balance in their presentation.
The science show is turned to absolute crap, I'm surprised you even
mention it as a "source".  If they rubbish Plimer, that is like
handing credibility to the man.  Kind of like what the soviets did to
Kondratiev.  Even if right, if it doesn't fit in with the party line,
then its "off with your head".

The absolute low point for me was seeing a promo for
"Compass" (religious doco) lumping pro AGW propaganda on its audience.
I would put the ABC's extinction (and probably most of the ABC) on the
cards if it wasn't for taxpayers having to prop it up.

While SC is definitely not perfect, and have at times made "silly" or
impractical projects, and/or design errors, overall I would give SC,
it's staff, contributors and readership (who on average would be well
above the average everyday person in intelligence, educational level,
ability to think logically, problem solve, have real world electrical,
electronic and mechanical skills, as well as getting off their arse
and be doing something productive) much more credibility than the
ABC.

If the projects are so bad, maybe you need to submit your designs or
improvements ?  This would help a lot of people out there
(particularly beginners and students) who aren't as "clever/skilled"
as you are.  You might even get paid. Remember publications like this
are probably one of the best ways for people to self learn
electronics, find part suppliers, and knowledge.
For most things published in there, a ready to assemble kit of parts
is available so even a beginner has a good chance of getting something
going and learning from it in the process.  This is of a lot of
benefit, and much better than listening to moronic crap

EA collapsed not because of any left / right wing views (I don't
remember them even discussing politics), but simply because it changed
its content from a technical based format down to a gutter press brain
dead "consumer" format. It lost (and enraged) it's core tech audience
instantly, (even having to hand back loads of subscription fees) and
didn't gain a brain dead consumer audience fast enough (if at all) to
fill the void.   They misread the market, and Bang, gone just like
that.

The pro AGW ship of fools has sprung quite a few leaks in the last
year or so as more and more ordinary people wake up to the fact that
they are being had, realise that its just a cover for another massive
tax hike, and power grab - that wouldn't even do a thing to address
the imaginary "problem" even if it was real, but will just destroy our
economy and their jobs in the process. Lets hope it sinks fast with no
survivors - for the sake of everyone else.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

Sorry you got the wrong newsgroup. This is an electronics newsgroup.
There are other groups available for politics.

Site Timeline