Plimer and Silicon Chip

"keithr"

** Bob Parker's most famous " ESR Meter " article did not include the source code.

Cos no-one alive could make head nor tale of it if he did include it.

But Bob WAS able exercise some control over kit suppliers because of that.

Cept for that *appalling* Rod Irving character.

RIP.

** Pathway straight into to hell and bankruptcy is that idea.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Must be a decade ago(?) that they did an intro to something (smaller than PC micro).

Reply to
terryc

A lot of their projects simply wouldn't be able to exist, or be too expensive / complex/ time consuming to build / have fewer features / draw more power without the use of a micro. Projects now have to be more exciting and feature packed to get people interested in building or even reading about them. People are too used to that with consumer products and expect as much as possible in the way of features etc.

They did do a beginners series on PIC programming a while back, though not in assembly language. showed how to interface LEDs Temperature/light sensors, I think even a RS232 link between 2 PICS - all laid out on a breadboard with plenty of diagrams, drawings and instructions so that even an inexperienced person couldn't really get it wrong.

On some of the more basic microprocessor projects source code is available from their website.

It might possibly even have had an I2 sqared bus on that IIRC and details on the protocol for talking to the serial Flash Rams etc. (I cant remember if that was a PIC or something else, it was on a small PCB board that included a lithium coin cell. They also did a detailed article on how the I2 squared bus works in detail, including the protocols involved in all the data transfer modes.

These days it seems to be mostly PIC and AVR in common use by SC. There are many websites out there with a wealth of info on these.

It would probably be way too big an article to put in SC, remembering also that 99% of people would probably not have a clue exactly what goes on in a microprocessor, and this may be hard to explain to a lot of the target audience, let alone following up on teaching them how to code something useful out of it without enormous frustration at the bugs that will inevitibly occur.

Some of the projects in that mag would be major tasks to code for even reasonably experienced people - especially if the micro involved isn't one they have experience in already.

Reply to
KR

They're only a threat to themselves so long as they pull stunts like trying to overload their enrichment plants by pouring extra material in with buckets and wondering why it suddenly goes critical.

The Japanese have even designed apartment block "Basement Reactors" that the building supervisor will "maintain" and refuel by emptying balls of fuel into the reactor vessel. A similar prototype sucked a ball into the cooling water pipe and blocked the cooling.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

**Indeed. Russia and Pearl Habour were the big mistakes made by Germany and Japan. Had Germany left Russia alone and Japan left the US alone, the outcome would certainly have been very different. There was no will in the US to become involved in another European conflict.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

:> SC now appears to be trying to consolidate a fading readership that includes :> far-right ratbags. Would not be surprised to see it go the same way as EA. : :A hardcore left-wing propaganda machine like the current ABC is hardly

When are people like you two fools going to realise that simplistic labelling of people as "far-right ratbags" and "hardcore left-wing" has become meaningless and even worse, increasingly misleading? Makes you feel better to have a boogyman to blame for ?

People like you are the real problem: so easy to exploit at the voting booth.

Reply to
=?iso-8859-15?Q?Je=DFus?=

**Indeed. As I recall, an investigation set up by the previous Liberal government recently found that the ABC had a slight bias TOWARDS the Liberal Party. Moreover, anyone who watched last week's Four Corners is left in no doubt about the impartial attitude of the ABC towards (NSW State) Labor.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

The Russians, using American built planes and supplies. Read up on the 'Lend - Lease' program where America supplied ammunition, weapons, fuel, food and medicine to the Allies during WWII. England couldn't get their Merlins off the ground without the special high octane gasoline available from a Texas refinery. Then read about the amount of Penicillin, Magnetrons, and other items that no one else could build in the needed quantities. America supplied over half of the ammunition used by the Allies during WWII

Finally, read the MIT 'RadLabs' series of books to see how much of modern electronics was developed by the US during WWII. it is over 750 MB of scanned material.

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to

The world bitched about the US involvement in WWI, which lead to a short isolationist period. Then they bitched about that. You can't please idiots. EVER.

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

as

ral

I saw that, and it was quite a surprise, though if NSW Labor govt, its anything like QLD Labor, - things have got so bad and corruption is so blatant, obvious and deep-rooted that there. probably isn't anything media can do but criticise. The lack of any coverage of any of the the state opposition parties (QLD) by the media shows another media bias. Even the ordinary person can see the mess that is around them has become so bad that being told lies by the media about it being "all good and wonderful" simply won't work anymore, that its probably become a case of "pick the least worst problem and report it".

IF you have to make a bad report on something, a story on poor standards of public transport (people have griped about this for as long as I can remember) is a lot better for the government than a much needed re-run of the "moonlight state" report that they did on the Bjelke-Petersen government 20 year back. If anything, these problems have got 10 times worse, and reach out far beyond a few corrupt cops accepting payouts from brothels, illegal gambling clubs and SP bookies, right into the lives and futures of the everyday person.

Its also interesting how on a federal level the reporting is exactly the opposite. Mr. Rudd and Co. can do no wrong. There is no balanced reporting. A few years back it was Little Johnny who could do no wrong.

With the newspapers becoming rapidly a thing of the past and struggling to get sales, and probably similar situation with the TV, losing audience to the net, quality and bias of reporting may all become irrelevant anyway.

Reply to
KR

supplied = sold, not donated.

Reply to
terryc

Nope, we just point out they were part of the solution and not THE solutions. Whereas USAians think we should be eternally kissing their arse because they showed up.

Reply to
terryc

"Michael A. Terrell Retarded Looney "

** The Yanks supplied Russia with inferior fighter planes ( P39s) that no American wanted to fly against the Japanese or Germans. Gave a few of them to black US pilots to fly too.
** Utter bullshit.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

And also the only country to use WMD's against another country (ie Atom Bomb)

--
Laurie.
Registered Linux user # 468070

"qmod"

** Depends how you define a "WMD ".

The USAAF was a weapon of mass destruction.

In one raid on Tokyo, 335 B29s destroyed 16 square miles of the city in a fire storm.

Killed more folk and destroyed more property than the Hiroshima bomb.

Then there was Dresden, of course:

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

It's only the deterrent effect of having America standing behind us that Australia hasn't been invaded by other countries. Australia wouldn't stand a chance on its own. It's cool to be anti-establishment but totally unrealistic to think we don't depend on America for our security. China would be here in a flash otherwise.

Reply to
Davo

**Bollocks. Until recently, China lacked the firepower, though it does have the personel. Indonesia doesn't have it. Like it or lump it, Australia has the most firepower in the immediate region (China excepted). For now.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

So could China beat us or not?

Reply to
Davo

Not to mention THE bomb.

Reply to
Davo

Pebble bed reactors are *supposed* to be immune to overheating. If they get too hot the reaction shuts down. I'm not sure that you'd let one be maintained by the janitor though, and I'm not sure that they scale down to basement size.

keithr