Plimer and Silicon Chip - Page 2

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

**I recall reading a report when the scientists reported to some politician
that they had managed to achieve a power density (of the laser they were
testing to shoot down ICBMs) of 10^5 Watts/sq cm (or close to that). The
pollie then asked how much power they needed for the system to work. The
scientist replied that they needed 10^10 Watts/sq cm. "Oh good" replied the
pollie, "you're half way there"...

And they leave idiots like that in charge of the 'button'.

Politicians should be taught about the power under their control.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

I didnt know about that.  WOW.

I forgot to add Japan to the list of countries under US protection and
therefore at huge risk if the US fails.
I'm not surprised that the Japanese' aversion to Nuke weapons is
shrinking to zero.

Note also that at the recent Japanese election they changed to the
opposition party that had been in the wilderness for decades.

The other consequence of all of it could be a drastic realignment of
alliances throughout the world, that could also affect economy,
security, trade, finance, and who knows what else.

As much as I dislike the idea of nukes, In the face of such a
"regional arms race", Australia may be forced to do the same, for its
own security. (deterrent effect).

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

I didnt know about that.  WOW.

I forgot to add Japan to the list of countries under US protection and
therefore at huge risk if the US fails.
I'm not surprised that the Japanese' aversion to Nuke weapons is
shrinking to zero.

**If you imagine that Japan could not assemble a nuke within 24 hours, I
suspect you are in for a huge shock.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

Yeah, I didn't know about that either until I read Schell's book.

Schell quotes they can do it "in a matter of days".

A plutonium implosion nuke isn't as trivial and foolproof as a gun type
uranium one, but the japs ain't exactly lacking talent in how to build
things.

Dave.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

   They're only a threat to themselves so long as they pull stunts like
trying to overload their enrichment plants by pouring extra material in
with buckets and wondering why it suddenly goes critical.

   The Japanese have even designed apartment block "Basement Reactors"
that the building supervisor will "maintain" and refuel by emptying
balls of fuel into the reactor vessel. A similar prototype sucked a ball
into the cooling water pipe and blocked the cooling.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

Pebble bed reactors are *supposed* to be immune to overheating. If they
get too hot the reaction shuts down. I'm not sure that you'd let one be
maintained by the janitor though, and I'm not sure that they scale down
to basement size.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pebble_bed_reactor

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

That or something very similar was shown on a TV science program
(probably that one on the ABC on Thursday nights) in the last year or
so as a "Chinese" safe nuclear technology breakthrough.

The only problem was the cost involved in building/maintaining it when
compared to traditional nuclear power stations.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

Partly why they said the Chinese were still preparing to build dozens of
conventional reactor power plants.

MrT.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

Yes that is one area where you could possibly benefit.

Agreed, but attacking someone if THEY personally don't think so is rather
silly IMO.

MrT.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

And that's the point. If something CAN happen or be used, it's a threat.
How can being able to almost completely wipe out the human race within a
matter of hours or days at the push of a button, NOT be the biggest threat
facing this planet?
The only equivalent threats would be cosmic borne catastrophes.

As Phil and KR have mentioned, there are many other benefits (and the
occasional problem) with getting something published. So you aren't just
"generating income for someone else", far from it.
Phil summed it up nicely when he said "Time spent that benefits both oneself
and others is never wasted."

You can have your cake and it eat it too.
You can put a project up on your your webpage as well as getting it
published. And getting it in SC or some other mag gives you large direct
exposure to people who otherwise generally won't find your stuff unless they
went specifically looking. And SC will pay you too, not a large amount, but
a nice bonus.

While it may be a profit generating magazine, there are those who like to
think of the aussie electronics magazine scene as a more of a "community"
they grew up with, and therefore like to give something back in return for
what they have gained over the years. Thinking you are just helping a
magazine make a profit is a very narrow minded view IMO.

Sure, I agree.
But you have to look at my critisim in context to "Peter K"s post at which
my comments are directed.
He criticised the magazines content, of which he claims to be quite capable
of contributing to. He even mentioned he would be happy to contribute, but
then chucked a hissy when he found out SC won't pay his consulting like fees
(LOL!). Anyone who just criticises something but is in a position to help
change for the better, deserves a serve in my book.

Dave.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

One point I overlooked - if you read Peter K's original post, he only
"reads" SC at the news stand, presumably this means that he stands
there reading it, rather than buying it. In this case, he gets the
info for free, so why "look a gift horse in the mouth" ?

Even though it is his free choice to buy or to read for free - he is
not even contributing financially by buying the mag, this isn't going
to help it "improve".

If he stops his "reading", I doubt Leo, or anyone else related to SC
is going to lose any sleep over it.

Personally, I have always been amazed at how SC, & the former EA teams
and their contributors over the years have managed to think up,
design, build, prototype and publish such a wide and diversified range
of electronic designs, every month, for so many years, on top of all
the hassles of running a business. - Even before the days of the
internet. The time and effort involved in some of these projects must
be staggering

None of this would come cheap either.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

t>he hassles of running a business. - Even before the days of the

You ignore the fact that many of the projects were provided by Dick
Smith/Jaycar/Altronics etc to sell kits.
Then there are the projects like those under discussion that they pay
peanuts for.
It's been a long time AFAICT that they had a big team of in house engineers
and technicians doing their own kit development.
The rest of the mag is mostly ads, press releases, ads, an editorial rant
that's just like those on these internet use groups which millions of people
post for nothing, ads, and a couple of regular columns like "Serviceman"
that they presumably do pay something for.

It all reminds me of Jaycar who have been advertising for staff in SC every
month for YEARS, simply because they won't pay the amount of money necessary
for the sort of staff they would like to have! They keep hoping someone is
desperate I guess.

MrT.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

It is the number of ads that determine how big the magazine can be and
thus how many projects they need.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

"Mr.Turd "

** You ever met up with either Gary Johnson or Bruce  Routley  ??

 Like meeting the  BOSSES   from HELL !!!!

 All Jaycar are *ever* preying after is disaffected staff from DSE who have
no where else to go.

....   Phil

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

Well it may be a "threat", and still not a "major problem". The severity of
the problem depends on the liklihood of the threat occurring.

Yes indeed. So one learns to live with what is totally out of human control.
That does not include population increase and baby bonuses IMO.

oneself

Sure, but only the individual concerned can make the judgement of how his
time is best utilised. No one has infinite time available to them.

they
but

And what I object to is that they make more money from my endevours than I
do. YOU may not care, and that is your right, however I am happy to forego a
small amount of money, and some ego stroking, just so someone else can make
even more money. For those who are real professionals, having their name
printed in SC is hardly something to get terribly excited obout IMO :-).
However your personal situation may indicate otherwise perhaps.

Nope, this very newsgroup and thousands of web sites now provide what we
needed the magazines to do once upon a time. We no longer need to pay the
cost of the magazine to read some stupid opinions on climate change etc. Nor
to read contruction articles for Jaycar/DSE/Altronics etc. kits.
I once bought EA, ETI, and SC every month, but not for a LONG time, I just
don't see the value any more.

capable
fees

That's my point, he IS entitled to criticise it (and you are entitled to
disagree)
Just because he chooses not to "donate" his time to help improve a "for
profit" magazine, doesn't mean he is wrong. You just have different
agenda's.

MrT.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

Well, there are only two militaries involved with this theorectical
capacity. The Russians who have a decrepit and unreliable system and The
USA who so far have cocked up every war (including independence) they
entered unless someone else was wiping their arse and helping them.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

You must read different history books to mine, if it wasn't for the
Americans entering WWII England would be speaking German and Australia
would be talking Japanese.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

It was the Russians more than the Yanks that defeated the Germans.
Whether the Japanese could have invaded Australia is moot, they had
pretty well run out of steam before they got here. It was, of course the
Yanks who mainly defeated the Japanese, but they didn't do it on their own.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

**Indeed. Russia and Pearl Habour were the big mistakes made by Germany and
Japan. Had Germany left Russia alone and Japan left the US alone, the
outcome would certainly have been very different. There was no will in the
US to become involved in another European conflict.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

   The world bitched about the US involvement in WWI, which lead to a
short isolationist period.  Then they bitched about that. You can't
please idiots.  EVER.