Plasma TV & Cables

Hi I am getting a Plasma soon, and was told by the TV shop, that I should
get these you beaut $150 leads, that give out a much better picture than the
standard av leads.
Is this true, or is it just to get more money out of me ?

Thanks again guys

Re: Plasma TV & Cables

It is complete bullshit, and there are many manufacturers of "high
performance" leads like this to cater for a fairly sizable gullible
market.
"Monster Cables" are the classic bullshit brand, I saw a HDMI "Monster
Cable" in Hardly Normals the other day for $300.

Don't buy leads in the shop (esp HDMI), eBay have them at much more
realistic prices.

You won't see (or hear) a lick of difference between different cable
brands or prices, and anything they attempt to show you to the
contrary is a trick. This topic has been done to death on here and
other groups, and in the electronics magazines.

Dave.

Re: Plasma TV & Cables

I agree with David.  Most of the 'benefits" are purely hype.
A typical ploy used by some retailers to "demonstrate" the difference is to
hook up a STB or DVD player via a composite video lead (worst possible
connection method) and also via the HDMI lead (best possible connection).
They switch between the two claiming the bad picture is a standard HDMI lead
and the better picture is via their "premium" HDMI lead (read overpriced
lead).  The average Joe doesn't realise he's been had but does notice the
obvious difference in picture quality.
When choosing any AV leads, check for obvious signs of reasonable quality
assembly and apparent robustness.  Flimsy plastic connectors and unusually
thin cables are signs of cheap components which aren't like to perform well
or last the distance.

Cheers,
Alan

Re: Plasma TV & Cables

Yes.

lead

No, most simply make no mention of any cheaper HDMI leads, they simply prove
you need one, then sell you a cheap one at an expensive price, thereby
making extra profit on the sale.
Shops/salesmen have been using similar tactics on all consumer goods for
centuries.
The motor industry being one of the worst offenders, new houses even worse
in most cases.
Smart shoppers simply shop for the best price Vs performance ratio on ALL
items, taking any proven service/support/backup into consideration.

MrT.

Re: Plasma TV & Cables

Its a load of crap.

If you really really must have quality OFC leads, gold plated
connectors for your system, then consider the WES range

page 10.
http://www.wagner.net.au/catalogue/08_Prepared-Leads.pdf

Trade price for 3 rca to 3 rca about  $10-24 depending on length (1.5m
to 15m available)

I have used these in the past, more for quality and reliability
reasons, and can recommend them.

Re: Plasma TV & Cables

I suggest you investigate some of the less expensive cables , I use good
product obtained wholesale and see simialr quality being sold for
considerably less than was offered to you , of the $150.00 1/3 goes to
the sales person some to the store and maybe $30.00 on the cable  though
I would steer clear of $10.00 specials .

Re: Plasma TV & Cables

In fact if the $10 specials don't work adequately, you have only wasted $10!
Like everything else there is some real crap at the bottom end of the price
scale, and some quite adequate. The mechanical differences are quite obvious
in most cases.

MrT.

Re: Plasma TV & Cables

Experience tells me if I cant buy the parts in china for the asking rice
of the cable then the cable stands a good chance of being mechanically
didgy , for av to rca for instance a pretty good cable can be had for
under $20.00 retail .

Re: Plasma TV & Cables

Maybe, but I've never seen any cables THAT cheap.
I've bought $5 ones that are perfectly good though, and seen plenty of $2
ones that I wouldn't bother with.

Agreed, a lot "under" in many cases.

MrT.

Re: Plasma TV & Cables

Hopefully better than the crap foxtel installes .

Re: Plasma TV & Cables

ROTFLOL.

You missed a 'p' in 'asking rice', but seeing you mentioned China, your sentence
still makes sense. (or was that on purpose?)
That makes for a cheap cable.  And I agree with the common thought in this
thread. I was making valve amplifiers loooong before some salesman came up with
the "gold" or "silver" content in (very expensive) cables to improve a/v quality.

Bullshit

Argusy  VK5CRC

Re: Plasma TV & Cables

Now you have done it!
Your old mate "Lynx" will be on here soon extolling the virtues of
overpriced
cables and telling everyone how good they are and how he can see and hear
the difference and how his pets are MUCH less affected by stray  EMF's since
he has spent so many $$$$ on his cables....

Re: Plasma TV & Cables

Hi,

For the short distance it will not matter, however if you are planning to
run a long distance (say 5+ meters), you are better off getting cables that
have better shielding t minimise noise pickup.

Rudolf
P.S. I have seen in one shop demo if cheap vs expensive cables and you could
see some picture difference. Upon close examinations, I saw that cheap cable
was connected to AV input, while expensive one used component...

Re: Plasma TV & Cables

could
cable

Exactly, and that is their point. 3 component cables do perform better and
cost more than 1 composite cable, even for similar cable quality.
They simply neglect to say how much or little improvement is to be had over
using 3 cheap component cables Vs 3 expensive ones.
Uninformed customers are a salesman's dream after all.

MrT.

Re: Plasma TV & Cables

to keyboard and composed:

Dick Smith are selling HDMI male-to-male 1.5m cables for AU$35
(CA1779) and $50 (C1779).

But for AU$369 (incl GST) you can upgrade to a 2m Monster cable
(CA0902). It seems like a rip-off, but the 24 carat gold contacts
allow for "increased power handling ... to deliver the full dynamic
range of explosions and crashes found in today's movies" (the ones and
zeroes require much more current at subwoofer frequencies). And the
"heavy duty outer Duraflex protective jacket resists temperature
extremes" such as those encountered in a typical Australian lounge
room. And for the fashion aficionado, the cable features a "stylish,
futuristic connector design inspired by Star Wars epics".

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Plasma TV & Cables

No need to take the piss . ok ?

Re: Plasma TV & Cables

Or AU$25 for a 5 metre one from MSY, and other computer shops.

I assume you forgot the smiley.

MrT.

Re: Plasma TV & Cables

Is that spelt "Soundlink"?

Re: Plasma TV & Cables

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 10:51:45 +1000, "Trevor Wilson"
composed:

I'm glad you mentioned this. I'm seeing a very high proportion of bad
3xRCA leads, Daichi brand, WES code VC50 or VC60. They typically break
at the video connector.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Plasma TV & Cables

**Therein lies a big problem. The average consumer can never know what is
good. Just suggesting "WES cables" is not enough. WES product range is
large. Some of their stuff is crap and some is good. My suggestion to stick
to the easily available DSE Harmony range remains. Every cable I've examined
in the Harmony range is satisfactory.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au