Pioneer VSX-D710S help

Hi Everyone,

After many years of fantastic service the ol girl has finally started playing up. After being on for 15-30 mins the digital display will show "power off" and then the amp will switch off and back on again. Once it is back on it usually will show the same message and go through the same cycle again after a couple of seconds and would continue to do so unless switched off.

I have googled but found little helpful info about the subject and a call to Pioneer yielded a "take it to one of our authorised service centres".

Before I do so, has anyone here serviced this model before or have any clues on what might be causing the problem?

Thanks for any help offered.

Mike

ps. if anyone has a pdf of a service manual or schematic could I please have a copy?

Reply to
Mike Paull

**Dry solder joints, electrolytic caps, or a dodgy transistor in one of the output stages. Somewhere.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Take it to a technician. Does not have to be a Pioneer service center.

Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for the tips. I've had a good look at the caps and visually there is nothing to indicate a problem although obviously I realise that does not mean they are ok. Now I have taken the cover off I noticed a fan that blows air onto a rather large heatsink which has two very large ic's attatched to it, this fan isn't switching on at all, so i'm going to grab my dmm and see if there is voltage on the supply pins. Also going to grab a can of freeze spray and see what effect that has.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Paull

Usually, fan is controlled by the signal level or temperature of the heatsink, so it mau not come on at the start.

Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf

Hi Rudolf,

I took some measurements tonight and found that the fan only switches on when the volume is wound up to a specific point. The works perfectly.

Next I sprayed freeze spray on transistors and semi's on the various pcb's that make up this amp and this had no effect what so ever. It still displays "POWEROFF" and goes through a power cycle.

I guess next i'll start checking the pcb's for poor soldering joints, and i'll start with the power supply pcb.

mike

Reply to
Mike Paull