PIC Programmer Recommendations

Hi all

I wish to upgrade my 16F84 PIC Programmer (the Charles Manning one from EA,
about 1996) to a new one which does all (Most) PICs. Can anyone recommend a
USB type please? There have been several published in SC recently. Are any
of these worth looking at?

Thanks for any input

Regards

Brian (Chopper) Playne

Re: PIC Programmer Recommendations

Have a look at:
http://www.dontronics.com/diyk150.html
and family

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Re: PIC Programmer Recommendations

Thanks Don

Does it do the 'F88?

--
Regards

Chopper

Re: PIC Programmer Recommendations

http://www.kitsparts.com /

http://www.kitsparts.com/mcu/detail_programmer.htm

Re: PIC Programmer Recommendations

Thanks

I had a quick look at the Software. 16F84 & 88 not listed. Poor translation
to English a bit of a worry

I was after advice on ones people have actually used & can recommend on that
basis, not only because they have a vested interest in the product.

Regards

Brian

Re: PIC Programmer Recommendations

I just built me one of the JDM in-circuit programmers. The info is here:
http://olimex.com/dev/pdf/pic-pg1a.pdf
and here:
http://www.jdm.homepage.dk/newpics.htm
I managed to stuff all the bits into a DB9 plug
and I use this sucker to program the chip:
http://www.ic-prog.com /
On your board, you have a 5 pin header that the programmer plugs into with
lines to Gnd, Vdd, MCLR and RB6 & RB7. It means you can upload new code
without having to wrangle the chip out of the circuit.
I've only tried it on a 16F84A chip so far, but it seems to work OK.

Re: PIC Programmer Recommendations

I dont know whether the microchip programmer (picstart+) will fit your
budget (i dont know what it costs) but it can upgrade itself to handle
new devices as they become available. I think microchip now have a
cheap USB programmer too.

Re: PIC Programmer Recommendations

That Olimex bunch I mentioned earlier do this USB programmer that works from
MPLAB
http://olimex.com/dev/pic-mcp-usb.html
US$80 + freight

Re: PIC Programmer Recommendations

 All

recommend

Thanks for all the replies. Happy new year to all.

Regards

Re: PIC Programmer Recommendations

I was overseas by the time you asked this question, but am now back

yes it does the F88

Don...