Pic of " Martin's Laundry"

** Hi again.

Found this old pic of the " Martin De Launay" neon sign on top of their
store on the corner of Clarence and Druitt Streets, Sydney.

Bit of a dump,  good for electrical stuff more than electronic parts.

.......   Phil

Re: Pic of " Martin's Laundry"

"Phil Allison"

** The missing link .....

http://www2.photosau.com/CityofSydney/scripts/ExtSearch.asp?SearchTerm01%5262

......   Phil

Re: Pic of " Martin's Laundry"

My first job out of school was at martins laundry, it was the ONLY place in
town for electronic parts back then. A very good monopoly with absolutely no
competition.

Re: Pic of " Martin's Laundry"

in
no

Not quite the ONLY place; I used to buy parts from Fox & McGillycuddy (sic)
at the Bridge end of York St.  There was also Homecrafts in Clarence St.
This wouls have been early 1950's.  There was also Levensons Radio in either
York or Clarence, can't quite remember which, but it was near the AWA tower.
Does anyone know the story of Levenson's window lighting saga?

Chas.

Re: Pic of " Martin's Laundry"

Chas,

I do remember those names from old radio mags that my father gave me but
think those businesses had all closed by the time I was in high school
and actively persueing electronics.

The price of radio parts in those days were quite high from what I
remember compared to the average wage.

Anyhow, go ahead and tell us about the Levenson's saga...

Wasp
-----

Re: Pic of " Martin's Laundry"

absolutely
(sic)
either
tower.

Ok then, here goes.  I cannot vouch for the story, but it was well known at
the time

The story goes that Levensons fitted the display windows with the latest
fluorescent lighting, giving them a much brighter showcase for their
products.  Someone cried "foul", and the local Electrical Authority began
investigations as to why this bright lighting was not accompanied by an
increase in power consumption at the meter.  They found that the lights were
powered from a tuned antenna picking up radiated RF from the AWA tower.

Levenson was prosecuted for some awful offence; stealing AWA's power or
something similar.  The case was thrown out when the defendant produced a
current "Broadcast Receiving Licence" as his permit to draw on AWA's
radiated energy.  After the case, the shop did convert to the normal grid
connected lighting, no doubt due to further "Official" intimidation.

Chas.

Re: Pic of " Martin's Laundry"

Sydney was just the head office. Out of Sydney, they were the only
wholesalers around.

Site Timeline