Phone charger

Hi all. My Nokia phone charger has died. It's rated 5V. I have another older Nokia charger but it's rated

5.7V, is this difference within tolerances for the phone or will I cook the phone if I use it? If I can't use the other charger can I use a normal 5V power supply that came with something other than a phone and just change the jack on the end? As you can probably tell I'm no wizard with electronics. Thanks Neil.
Reply to
Neil Green

**Don't muck about: Get the right charger for your 'phone. They're not expensive. Start here:

Trevor Wilson

Reply to
Trevor Wilson

The battery in the phone says 3.7 volts, which is what made me think that the charger didn't need to be exactly the same voltage, or that I could use another charger. I have a 3.6 volt Nokia charger here as well which I could use.

Reply to
Neil Green

**I've provided all the advice you need for safety. Li-Ion batteries have an unfortunate habit of starting fires, if improperly charged. BUY THE CORRECT CHARGER!

Trevor Wilson

Reply to
Trevor Wilson

Point taken. Thanks Trevor.

Reply to
Neil Green

You'll cvould cook it. You need 5V +/- maybe 5% to be safe.

You could if it has the correct current capacity, but it's much easier and safer to simply buy the correct charger. They practically give them away on eBay.

Don't muck around, buy the correct charger.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Just so happens that a USB Port power, nicely covers the 5V/350ma of the modern Nokia phone. I would rather think that did this by clever design, than by accident.

are just some of the cables available to charge from USB to your Nokia. I listed some commercial sites, to give you an idea of how much they will charge you.

If you go this path, make sure your phone type is compatible with the "Nokia Charger via USB port CA-100". There is a drop down list on the Nokia site.

But like David, and others, I would simply get the correct adapter. I would never/ever plug the 5.7V old charger into them.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap

Intelligent 2.83" AMOLED with touch screen for micros:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16699
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Thanks Don, but USB isn't an option. I mainly need the charger on the road and don't have a PC with me, so it looks as though I buy a new charger. That'll make about six I have (sigh). Thanks anyway, Neil.

Reply to
Neil Green