Phone charger

Hi all.
My Nokia phone charger has died.
It's rated 5V.
I have another older Nokia charger but it's rated
5.7V, is this difference within tolerances for the
phone or will I cook the phone if I use it?
If I can't use the other charger can I use a normal 5V
power supply that came with something other than a
phone and just change the jack on the end?
As you can probably tell I'm no wizard with
electronics.
Thanks
Neil.

Re: Phone charger

**Don't muck about: Get the right charger for your 'phone. They're not
expensive. Start here:

http://www.wagner.net.au /

Trevor Wilson

Re: Phone charger

The battery in the phone says 3.7 volts, which is what
made me think that the charger didn't need to be
exactly the same voltage, or that I could use another
charger.
I have a 3.6 volt Nokia charger here as well which I
could use.

Re: Phone charger

**I've provided all the advice you need for safety. Li-Ion batteries have an
unfortunate habit of starting fires, if improperly charged. BUY THE CORRECT
CHARGER!

Trevor Wilson

Re: Phone charger

Point taken.
Thanks Trevor.

Re: Phone charger

You'll cvould cook it.
You need 5V +/- maybe 5% to be safe.

You could if it has the correct current capacity, but it's much easier
and safer to simply buy the correct charger.
They practically give them away on eBay.

Don't muck around, buy the correct charger.

Dave.

Re: Phone charger

Just so happens that a USB Port power, nicely covers the 5V/350ma of the
modern Nokia phone. I would rather think that did this by clever design,
than by accident.

http://www.nokia.com.au/link?cidED%ITORIAL_385152
http://shop.nokia.co.uk/nokia-uk/product.aspx?sku35%01382&culture=en-GB
http://www.bidbox.com.au/store.php?specs10%112848

are just some of the cables available to charge from USB to your Nokia.
I listed some commercial sites, to give you an idea of how much they
will charge you.

If you go this path, make sure your phone type is compatible with the
"Nokia Charger via USB port CA-100". There is a drop down list on the
Nokia site.

But like David, and others, I would simply get the correct adapter. I
would never/ever plug the 5.7V old charger into them.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Phone charger

Thanks Don, but USB isn't an option.
I mainly need the charger on the road and don't have a
PC with me, so it looks as though I buy a new charger.
That'll make about six I have (sigh).
Thanks anyway,
Neil.