phone batteries

I asked numerous dealers how much for htc touch battery, they all said
$50,I bought an oem battery of the same part no for us$4.88 free
shipping (it looks and works the same)so how much does it cost to make
these things. we seem to be ripped off it we buy from the normal outlets.

Re: phone batteries

Welcome to retail in Australia...
But don't be surprised if the capacity halves in a few weeks or months. Just
because it has the same part number and works the same at first doesn't mean
it has the same quality as a genuine or name brand replacement. It may be a
low quality cheapie that came out of the OneHungLow factory in China.

Dave.

Re: phone batteries

It could be fake but it has the same labels and looks identical except
for serial no/s

Re: phone batteries

"F Murtz"

** The battery is a Li-Ion type  -  famous for their poor "shelf life"  ie
rapid loss of capacity with age.

Easy for someone to obtain examples that have gone over some nominal age
limit and are no longer deemed fit to sell by the brand name owner  - and
the sell them on-line to fools like you.

I remember buying some 6 volt SLA batteries from Radio Despatch Service that
were totally DOA   -  took a bit of an argument with Geoff Woods but I got
my money back all right.

It is very likely that the phone battery in question was so cheap for the
same reason that over-ripe fruit and stale bread are offered cheap.

....  Phil

Re: phone batteries

Don' know about online fools but if it lasts 1/8th of the time I am in front

Re: phone batteries

Just purchased a Hong Kong sourced cheap battery for a Nokia phone, charged
overnight and it lasts approx 4 hours (the old stuffed battery lasted 8).

If it lasts half as long?????

Re: phone batteries

charged

Can't have been too stuffed if it lasted 8 hours on a charge! :-)

In any case most NiMH batteries improve a little after a couple of
charge/discharge cycles.

MrT.

Re: phone batteries

This one lasts the same or better between charges than original at the
moment, if it keeps doing that for 1/8th of the life of a $50 battery I
am in front (does that explain better?)

Re: phone batteries

 > Check out my Electronics Engineering Video Blog & Podcast:
 > http://www.eevblog.com

Yep, batteries must be one of the biggest margins of all:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.751~r.58384759
this is for 20 by the common CR2032 calculator-gadget batteries.
$3.66 USD including postage from Hong Kong. That is 18 cents each. They
have to make a profit, and pay postage. Figure it out.

Here they range from about $3.95 at DSE to $9.95 at Mr watch repair man
and general cobbler.

Last time I wanted the battery changed in the Omega, he wanted $35, and
dropped it to $25 when I said it was a bit rich. I know I was still
ripped off, but I can't get the back off, even with the so called
special tool. Probably my eyesight and age.

However if you get 20 batteries for the price of one from TwoHungLow
factory in China, and it only lasts a 20th of the time, it is still
value. Well if you don't count your labor. :-)

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: phone batteries

**My experience with many third party batteries for 'phones, cameras and
other things, is that the OEM part almost always lasts longer, less leakage
and has superior capacity. Is it worth ten times the amount? Nope.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: phone batteries

"Trevor Wilson"

** No way it is normal for "aftermarket" battery packs to be sold for only
10% the price of the brand name ones.

IME  -   the no-brand kind sell for about half price and are only about half
as good.

Is that worth it  ??  Nope.

In any case, the OP has indicated he bought an original brand battery for
under 10% of the normal price.

Whatever the real explanation here, the example does NOT support his
PARANOID  belief that everything is a rip off.

....  Phil

Site Timeline