phone batteries

I asked numerous dealers how much for htc touch battery, they all said $50,I bought an oem battery of the same part no for us$4.88 free shipping (it looks and works the same)so how much does it cost to make these things. we seem to be ripped off it we buy from the normal outlets.

Reply to
F Murtz

Welcome to retail in Australia... But don't be surprised if the capacity halves in a few weeks or months. Just because it has the same part number and works the same at first doesn't mean it has the same quality as a genuine or name brand replacement. It may be a low quality cheapie that came out of the OneHungLow factory in China.

Dave.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David L. Jones

It could be fake but it has the same labels and looks identical except for serial no/s

Reply to
F Murtz

Yep, batteries must be one of the biggest margins of all:

this is for 20 by the common CR2032 calculator-gadget batteries. $3.66 USD including postage from Hong Kong. That is 18 cents each. They have to make a profit, and pay postage. Figure it out.

Here they range from about $3.95 at DSE to $9.95 at Mr watch repair man and general cobbler.

Last time I wanted the battery changed in the Omega, he wanted $35, and dropped it to $25 when I said it was a bit rich. I know I was still ripped off, but I can't get the back off, even with the so called special tool. Probably my eyesight and age.

However if you get 20 batteries for the price of one from TwoHungLow factory in China, and it only lasts a 20th of the time, it is still value. Well if you don't count your labor. :-)

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

"F Murtz"

** The battery is a Li-Ion type - famous for their poor "shelf life" ie rapid loss of capacity with age.

Easy for someone to obtain examples that have gone over some nominal age limit and are no longer deemed fit to sell by the brand name owner - and the sell them on-line to fools like you.

I remember buying some 6 volt SLA batteries from Radio Despatch Service that were totally DOA - took a bit of an argument with Geoff Woods but I got my money back all right.

It is very likely that the phone battery in question was so cheap for the same reason that over-ripe fruit and stale bread are offered cheap.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

**My experience with many third party batteries for 'phones, cameras and other things, is that the OEM part almost always lasts longer, less leakage and has superior capacity. Is it worth ten times the amount? Nope.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

"Trevor Wilson"

** No way it is normal for "aftermarket" battery packs to be sold for only 10% the price of the brand name ones.

IME - the no-brand kind sell for about half price and are only about half as good.

Is that worth it ?? Nope.

In any case, the OP has indicated he bought an original brand battery for under 10% of the normal price.

Whatever the real explanation here, the example does NOT support his PARANOID belief that everything is a rip off.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Don' know about online fools but if it lasts 1/8th of the time I am in front

Reply to
F Murtz

Just purchased a Hong Kong sourced cheap battery for a Nokia phone, charged overnight and it lasts approx 4 hours (the old stuffed battery lasted 8).

If it lasts half as long?????

Reply to
APR

This one lasts the same or better between charges than original at the moment, if it keeps doing that for 1/8th of the life of a $50 battery I am in front (does that explain better?)

Reply to
F Murtz