Peter Crowcroft.

Many readers would have been aware of Peter Crowcroft, formerly of
Tasmania Australia, who set up an Electronics DIY kit business in Hong
Kong nearly 30 years ago. He passed away in 2005. At the time, I
reported it here: http://www.dontronics.com/peter_crowcroft.html

Ladda his wife, has had quite a struggle to be able to continue without
Peter, and with the assistance of old friends like Frank of
Ozitronics.com, she has managed to survive in these poor economic times.

There is a very nice writeup about her struggle in "AmCham", the Journal
of the American Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong.

Pages 17-18,
http://www.amcham.org.hk/images/magazine/apr09.pdf

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Peter Crowcroft.

Great to see them still going.
Thanks for the link Don

Dave.

Re: Peter Crowcroft.

Thanks for that update, Don.  I was just doing a major bog-out of paper lying
down the dead end of my desk on the weekend and found one of his business cards.

Re: Peter Crowcroft.

Hi Don,

eh Peter is second person in the list of 2 I wish I would have met
more than once in my life, the first being my father, who passed away
10 years ago, as I found out by GOOGLE search about year ago.

Antti
PS Don, I am doing the GEN 3 of SimmStick, this time I think it is it.
First kit PCBs on my desk.

SimmStick

Didn't know the SimmStick concept was still alive and kicking?

Dave.

Re: SimmStick

well, I said GEN 3
there is GEN 2 also, mostly internal use, but some products made also
GEN 3 is different as it does not use any connectors :)

its the "general concept" that is alive, from the original simmstick
there is nothing left over,
the only thing GEN 2 inherited from SimmStick is the fact that GND and
VCC should
not be next to each other

<IO> (optional)
----------
GND
<IO>
VCC
<IO>
so screwdriver would not short circuit power supply in shaky hands
(not that mine do)

SimmStick(tm) generation 1
SIPSIK(tm) generation 2
CRUVI(tm) generation 3

well first CRUVI baseboard uses SIPSIK(tm) spec compatible SMD module
those pictured here
http://www.microfpga.com /
the pinout has GND<IO>VCC<IO>..<IO> (from one corner, counter clock
wise counted) so it has lowest level SIPSIK compatibility

eh, last week local TV channel did come take a video clip for a show
dedicated to DIY projects
so it soon be on our national TV, well its a small nation ;) but still
was funny to look into the
professional camera..

Antti

Re: Peter Crowcroft.

Sorry to hear that Antti, but good to hear from you again. It has been
many years, hasn't it? I have been watching your jottings in the groups.

For those that don't know Antti Lukats, originally from Estonia, I ran
into him on the web about 94-95, and we became very close friends.

He came up with the SimmStick concept about 96-97 and did the first
initial 4 or 5 designs. I then picked it up and designed the rest.

Feeling it had run it's course, as it was based on the old XT 30 pin
style memory sockets, I dropped it about 3 years ago, but as I had
1000's of boards manufactured, I have been selling off these bare boards
heavily discounted.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/simmstick-and-related.html

OK Antti, what is GEN 3 of SimmStick??

http://tinyurl.com/r68e8h

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Peter Crowcroft.

CRUVI is not yet public, I could send some photos that explain the
concept but cant figure out valid e-mail,
it should not take long before release too, but I am currently only
collecting feedback from people I know
over non public channels.

Antti

Re: Peter Crowcroft.

Sounds like the Estonain word for a SCREW, to me Antti :-)

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Peter Crowcroft.

Thanks for the update. Don. Peter was a real character.

Re: Peter Crowcroft.

Thought I better post it to the piclist, as he had many friends and
associates there, that would be interested in how DIY Hong Kong is
traveling these days.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie