PCB Reference Designators

Hi All,

Can anyone point me to a webpage or standard that lists the international
standard for PCB reference designators? eg, R1 for resistor, C5 for
capacitor etc.

In particular, what is the standard for PCB headers and receptacles? Is it J
or P? Also after what should be used for a PCB link.

Re: PCB Reference Designators

Here's some pin name abbreviations from Altium:
http://www.altium.com/files/libraries/LS0001_PinAbbreviation.pdf

Calling a connector J1 J2 etc., is a hangover from the American
name "Jack" and is just their name for a socket. P1, P2 etc just
means a plug, so P1 plugs into J1.

    I'm not sure what you mean when you mention a link, as in
a short piece of wire on a PCB usually to pass a connection over
the top of some PCB tracks without touching them, it's a cheapy
way to avoid having to use a double sided PCB if you can just
have a few links instead. I don't think there's any naming standard
for a link at all.

Re: PCB Reference Designators

There effectively is no "standard", at least none that any sort of
majority actually follow. Most do it on an internal company standard
basis, as each companies requirements are different. Standards can also
change between products with different complexity too. Where no
standard exists within your company, the designer usually does whatever
they like.

If you *really* want something to follow, then I believe there is an
IPC standard available, and also is (or was) an Australian standard
available too, but I believe the Australian PCB standards were dropped
in favour of the IPC standards. The numbers escape me though, try:
http://www.ipc.org/ContentPage.aspx?pageid=4.1

A quick search bought up IPC-DRM-18F which may help

one I know actually uses them.

Dave :)

Re: PCB Reference Designators

I've seen larger Australian organisations adopt the Australian Standard (SAA
HB3-1986). However the designators in this
standard differ from what you usually see in schematics elsewhere (V for
semiconductor, X for connector). Most of the
designators we see in schematics tend to come from either US or UK standards.

Re: PCB Reference Designators

The IEEE have a standard: 315-1975

Dave :)

Re: PCB Reference Designators

That's a superseded one isn't it?

Re: PCB Reference Designators

Maybe, I don't know. If it was, then what superseeded it?
It was reaffirmed in 1993
There is also 315A-1986, no idea what the difference is or which one
(if any) is the most recent. In any case it's really only an
Amercian/US standard I believe.

Dave :)

Re: PCB Reference Designators

Well the Altium website does say something along those lines
about 315-1975 (reaff. 1993) and 315A-1986 but on the IEEE
website there was some blurb about 315-1975 no longer being a
valid standard and being listed for historical purposes along
with a some other standards.

Re: PCB Reference Designators

Mark Harriss E5%8699%E981%93EF%BC9A%

Re: PCB Reference Designators