PCB design software ?

What's everybodys' favourite PCB layout software at the moment ?

My criterea:
1 - I don't mind paying, but not lot !
2 - single-sided is fine
3 - Must print out to A4 correct size
4 - Schematic package and layout conversion from schem a bonus
5 - Straighforward and intuitive, esp wrt posititioning of components
6 - A good library of standard components, socketry, etc
7 - Easy to define new components, or adapt layout of library ones' pads (ie
'drag').

geoff

Re: PCB design software ?

a.
The dominat player in the OZ indistry is  Aultium (formerly Protel)  but
it's a few thousand dollars.
http://www.altium.com /
http://www.protel.com /

Autorax  is a very old free download version
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autotrax

b.
Some Customers  are using the free  (limited version) of Egale PCB
http://www.cadsoft.de/freeware.htm and has a resonable following world
wide  and reasonable price upgrades to full spftware packages.

c.
Free KiCad, gEDA  (opensoure or freeware)  there may be others.
http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad /
http://www.gpleda.org /

But there are many other.

You should check out the support forums for each to get more formulated
opinion.

Regads
Joe

Re: PCB design software ?

is there one for making valve/tube circuits

thanks
zack

Re: PCB design software ?

It depends a lot on your requirements. I guess you are planning on printing
out the pattern and making your own PCBs (see point 3 above). One I have
come across that is very intuitive and has a reasonable component library is
Novarm Diptrace. There are several versions available including freeware but
limited to layers, pin / pad count and no gerber export.Very quick and easy
to create custom components / footprints. Definitely worth a look. I haven't
actually made any boards with this software yet but have had a bit of a play
around with it.

PCB Wizard is another that is very quick and easy to get simple boards done,
but one huge drawback....no SMT, only through hole.

I don't think you'd want to rely on the autoplace facility of either though,
or autoroute unless it really doesn't matter where traces go :)

Really it's a matter of personal preference though and you do have a lot to
choose from (dependent on your requirements).

James

database 4559 (20091030) __________

http://www.eset.com

Re: PCB design software ?

[has no circuit diagram to PCB netting]
http://www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/sprint-layout.html
From purchase, had the first PCB designed and printed out in one hour. Been
using it now for 2 years.
Progged by an engineer so straightforward to use.

Re: PCB design software ?

This looked fine for my (relatively simple) purpose, so I bought it !

taa

geoff

Re: PCB design software ?

Well done!. I usually agonise for a couple of days but following your fine
upstanding lead, I've also 'gone for it' and bought the front panel
designer, which I'd noticed only when copying the PCB link :)

Re: PCB design software ?

Always on the lookout for new software so I took a look at abacom-onlines'
Sprint-Layout 5.0 and found it pretty OK except for a few minor irritations.

I checked with the company that produces my PCDBs (PCBCart in China) and
unfortunately they cannot use the files generated by this software -
therefore it remains in the amateur ranks I suppose?

So its carry on with Protel 99SE (can't afford Protels new rival version!).

Re: PCB design software ?

They say they can export to gerber and excellon.
I haven't fond a pcb manufacturer in 15 years that can not make boards from
those files.

Tony

Re: PCB design software ?

Unfortunately you cannot export, print, convert etc. etc with the demo
version to make sure its all good - you have to purchase the packge before
you know for certain its full capabilities. I take your point re gerber. I
have been designing ccts and pcbs since the days of making artwork using
tape! - I recall how wonderfull it was to produce a PA amplifier using PCBs
in 1962 - its was like rocket science then! How 'quickly' one could
manufacture a complete product compared with point to point wiring. However
I digress, sometimes the Chinese manufacturers have to be taken be the hand
and have things spelt out carefully before they nod their head and say 'oh
yes, we can do' and then generally do a fine job.

Re: PCB design software ?

I use PCBCart with AutoTrax .pcb files.  Their CAM software takes
those old format files just fine.

Re: PCB design software ?

That is to be expected in a demo version I guess.

I take your point re gerber. I

I can relate to this :-)

However

Yes and their capabilities beat all the Aussie ones.

For simpler boards up to 6 layers I was always happy with Entech's results.
They may have even improved by now.

In any case sending gerbers, excellon drill files and a master drawing with
drill table and layer information (in pdf) was always enough.

Tony

Re: PCB design software ?

EagleCAD exports to Gerber without any problems.

  . | ,. w ,   "Some people are alive only because
Re: PCB design software ?

I like EagleCAD for all the above reasons.

  . | ,. w ,   "Some people are alive only because