PC Scanner

Hi All,

Just restoring an old Dexxa Flatbed scanner (4800) and I'm wondering if
someone knows what type of tape/adhesive would work best on the glass?  The
original stuff holding the glass to the case seemed to be very, very thin
double sided tape, but it has lost some power and so the glass keeps falling
off the top case!  This makes it rather hard to put anything on it to
scan...

I've tried some think double sided tape I had here but that wasn't strong
enough, and even a dab or two of hot melt glue, but that didn't stick to the
glass.  It has to be very thin as there isn't much of a gap between the
glass plate and the scan head.  Anyone out there done this kind of repair
before?  Is there a thin tape available specially for glass plate?

TIA

Re: PC Scanner

Thin smear of silicone sealant (Selleys) specifically made for glass
aquariums?

Re: PC Scanner

I actually hadn't even thought of that!!  DOH!!!

The original stuff looked like thin double sided tape, but I dare say some
clear glass sealant would do the job..  hmm, unless someone else gives a
better suggestion I may have to try that!!

Tnx

Re: PC Scanner

very
keeps
strong
plate?
Nope, that's the way for you !!
Dont forget to make sure its 'Neutral' not the acetic acid based one.
How we existed before this stuff was invented has me beat :-)

--
Regards ..... Rheilly Phoull

Re: PC Scanner

No probs, thanks for that info.  I can't believe that I didn't think of that
stuff earlier, but then I guess that's the beauty of Usenet!  Thanks for the
tip on the neutral side as well.

Cheers

Re: PC Scanner

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 14:31:21 +1000, "Martin, VK2UMJ"

If you still want to go the double-sided tape method then TESA 4965
tape should do the trick. Try http://www.harrydaines.com.au/tesa.htm
to see if they can supply it. If they can't help then this company
should be able to http://adpack.com.au/prodview.php?27

Ross H

Re: PC Scanner

I am not the person you need to tell that to. You should post your
suggestion directly to the OP, however that suggestion has already
been made by others.

Re: PC Scanner

Thanks Ross, I'll look at that just in case the other idea doesn't work too
well.  I didn't know who or where would have double sided tape to suit this
application, so your info very much appreciated.

Re: PC Scanner

Thanks to all for their help and suggestions.  A thin smear of silicon
sealant appropriate for glass and plastic seems to have solved the problem
nicely!

Thanks all again

Site Timeline