Parramatta launches Australia?s first 5G Wi-Fi network, with speeds up to 100Mbps - Page 2

Re: Parramatta launches Australia?s first 5G Wi-Fi network, with speeds up to 100 Mbps

Err well I live 60Km from Australia's third largest city and I get
21Mb/s, at my old house, 500Km from the nearest capital and 50Km from
the nearest town of any size, I got 15Mb/s. ADSL+ certainly isn't
limited to 8Mb/s

Re: Parramatta launches Australia’s first 5G Wi-Fi network, with speeds up to 100Mbps

Your copper wire is intact and less than 300 metres from exchange
A http://www.speedtest.net/ to verify would be good
--
Petzl
http://tinyurl.com/AbbottsPorkPies
Nope 1.8Km as the crow flies, probably the actual wire distance is
nearer to 3Km. Speedtest is a useless abortion, actual figures for the
link itself from the modem are:

Model: Billion BiPAC 7800N Link uptime: 11 days 4 hours 55min

Uplink speed:    1063Khz  SNR: 8.6dB  attenuation  4.3
Downlink speed: 21383Khz  SNR: 6.1dB  attenuation 13.0

If you want to know how fast your *link* is check your modem and don't
use a piece of crap like speedtest, at best it is affected by many other
factors.

Re: Parramatta launches Australia?s first 5G Wi-Fi network, with speeds up to 100 Mbps

I'd be very surprised if the modem gives link speeds as a multiple of
kiloHertz, rather than kilobits per second.

--
Lifelong resident of Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Parramatta launches Australia’s first 5G Wi-Fi network, with speeds up to 100Mbps

www.speedtest.net is simple to use and accurate enough
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2840049758.png
Get suspicous of speed claims without the image
--
Petzl
I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left

Re: Parramatta launches Australia?s first 5G Wi-Fi network, with speeds up to 100 Mbps
Be as suspicious as you want, speedtest does not give any indication of
the speed of your ADSL link, it just shows how fast you can either
extract data or pump date into a particular server. You should be able
to work out for your self why that is not a valid indication of ADSL
speed. The only way to check that is looking what your modem sees.

Re: Parramatta launches Australia’s first 5G Wi-Fi network, with speeds up to 100Mbps

I have a "Windows Gadget"
http://addgadgets.com/
Tells me the upload downlod speeds confirms speedtest is not wrong
--
Petzl
http://tinyurl.com/AbbottsPorkPies
Re: Parramatta launches Australia?s first 5G Wi-Fi network, with speeds up to 100 Mbps
picky, you know what was meant.

Re: Parramatta launches Australia?s first 5G Wi-Fi network, with speeds up to 100Mbps

  Exactly! I live 16,710Km from Australia's largest city and I get
120Mb/s dead easy!

Re: Parramatta launches Australia’s first 5G Wi-Fi network, with speeds up to 100 Mbps

Hello,

fibre has a minimum wavelength and a maximum frequency of the
transmitted light, therefore the fibre has a maximum capacity.
We are today not able to reach this maximum capacity, but it exists anyway.

Bye

Re: Parramatta launches Australia’s first 5G Wi-Fi network, with speeds up to 100Mbps

It's not the first. I have a free 802.11ac network at home and you can
have one too
<http://reviews.cnet.com/best-wireless-networking-devices/ . I wonder
what will happen when most home and business routers in the district
have moved to the 5GHz band.

It _is_ last centuries technology which is one of the reasons it was
chosen. The rest of the reasons are outlined in a paper by Professor
Tucker, a member of the Expert Panel that chose it,
<http://people.eng.unimelb.edu.au/rtucker/publications/files/tja10043.pdf .
I was particularly impressed with the (theoretical) numbers that
Professor Tucker provided - "a _single_ optical fibre can carry 10,000
times the information that can be carried on the _entire_ radio
frequency spectrum".

Re: Parramatta launches Australia?s first 5G Wi-Fi network, with speeds up to 100 Mbps

Now that is a very interesting read Gordon.
I'll have to spend some more time to fully digest it.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

$30 for an Olinuxino Linux PC:
Re: Parramatta launches Australia’s first 5G Wi-Fi network, with speeds up to 100Mbps

Naa. Demand 7G or nothing.

geoff

Re: Parramatta launches Australia?s first 5G Wi-Fi network, with speeds up to 100 Mbps

We could, of course, always wait for some hypothetical better technology
that's coming in the future. It would certainly be cheaper, because we'd
never implement anything.

Sylvia.

Re: Parramatta launches Australia?s first 5G Wi-Fi net work, with speeds up to 100Mbps

I doubt anything will. After all, in the last say 100 years, all
we have really seen is copper pairs, coax, wireless and fiber.

There may be another show up, but I doubt it will be in even 20 years.

Re: Parramatta launches Australia’s first 5G Wi-Fi network, with speeds up to 100Mbps

Yep, 20 years sounds bit too ambitious for a newer technology to wireless
and fibre optics.
After all, wireless and fibre optics aren't that new. It's been around for
ages, we are simply starting to implement it in a wider scale.

Site Timeline