Parramatta launches Australia?s first 5G Wi-Fi network, with speeds up to 100Mbps

Parramatta launches Australia?s first free 802.11ac Wi-Fi network
Users can access 30 minutes a day of free Internet with speeds up to 100Mbps

Full Story at:
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/520292/parramatta_launches_australia_first_free_802_11ac_wi-fi_network/

Councillor and ParraConnect committee member, Paul Garrard, came up with the idea to build a network that would put
Parramatta on the map and offer almost the same standard of connectivity seen in cities such as New York, Seoul and
Barcelona.

?This is an event that the New South Wales government said couldn?t happen three years ago,? he said at the launch today.

?Three years ago they spent a million dollars doing a feasibility study that said we couldn?t do what we?re launching
today. So it?s thanks to the capacity of the ParraConnect committee which is made up of a combination of community and
business people who have come together to work on this.?

==============================

With the NBN fiber cable to almost ever home, at a cost that will only be guessed at after 10+ years, I often wonder
what new technologies will arrive in the next 5, 10, 15, or 20 years that could make fiber optic to every home plan,
look like last centuries technology.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

$30 for an Olinuxino Linux PC:
Re: Parramatta launches Australia?s first 5G Wi-Fi net work, with speeds up to 100Mbps

Pemulwuy's on the map, but practically nobody knows it's there - and almost
everyone has difficulty pronouncing it once it's pointed out to them.
Parramatta on the other hand is the second-largest business centre in
Sydney; surely it didn't need any more "putting on the map" if that was
their sole aim.

Correction: "Three years ago they spent a million dollars keeping
otherwise-unemployable public servants employed."

Gigabit Ethernet is already available in the CBDs of Soeul, Amsterdam and
Tokyo.

So, any bets on how long this ParraConnect escapade will last, when they
discover most people will simply put in MAC-changing software and use their
free WiFi 24 hours a day? Or when the people themselves discover that it's
under-provisioned so the real throughput is actually less than 1Mbps despite
the theoretical maximum speed of the underlying medium?

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Re: Parramatta launches Australia?s first 5G Wi-Fi net work, with speeds up to 100Mbps

Bet its actually seen as something essential to have along with universally
available wifi
that?s used for the higher volume stuff that the shared bandwidth wifi doesn?t
do very well.

Re: Parramatta launches Australia?s first 5G Wi-Fi net work, with speeds up to 100Mbps

Ah Don fibre is last century's tech.

Re: Parramatta launches Australia?s first 5G Wi-Fi network, with speeds up to 100 Mbps

**You're kidding, right?

According to Nyquist, fibre has a maximum capacity somewhere around
150Tbs. And, unlike wireless, it is not affected by the number of users
(yet). Best of all, when (if) humans can tap the maximum capacity of a
single fibre (which no one has yet managed to do), then another fibre
can be dropped into the hole. Presto: Bandwidth doubled.

No ugly towers, no drop-outs and obsolete-proof (for the next 100 years
or so).

Wireless certainly has it's place. Fibre, much moreso.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Parramatta launches Australiaís first 5G Wi-Fi network, with speeds up to 100Mbps
On Sat, 13 Jul 2013 14:45:41 +1000, Trevor Wilson

This will be a natural progresion of the NBN
More and more WiFi hotspots becoming a norm
Big problem for Mobile operators in the area as more and more switch
to VOIP like Skype, MyNetPhone etc
--
Petzl
I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left

Re: Parramatta launches Australia's first 5G Wi-Fi network , with speeds up to 100Mbps

Nope, it will have nothing to do with the NBN.

Yes. But that won't replace the NBN.

Nope, no problem for them. Most won't bother.

Re: Parramatta launches Australia's first 5G Wi-Fi network, with speeds up to 100Mbps
On Sat, 13 Jul 2013 20:09:50 +1000, "Rod Speed"

The NBN is why Parramatta was able to turn this one on

Agreed the NBN will allow more of them as you said though the more
connections to WiF the slower it gets

I reckon more will catch on particularly in City areas that Mobile
connections are not necessary and a dam site cheaper Skype to Skype
infact free

Re: Parramatta launches Australia's first 5G Wi-Fi network, with speeds up to 100Mbps

Bullshit. There are plenty of places that have done that without the NBN.

I didn't say that.

Yep, there's a reason for the 30 mins per day limit.

Individual calls are free for those with capped plans.

Re: Parramatta launches Australia's first 5G Wi-Fi network, with speeds up to 100Mbps
On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 05:35:13 +1000, "Rod Speed"

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/520292/parramatta_launches_australia_first_free_802_11ac_wi-fi_network/
or < http://tinyurl.com/oume8lp

According to the article the NBN is why Parramatta did it and offering
"speeds up to 100Mbps"

It was some time ago but with every premises in Australia having a NBN
connection the amount of available WiFi hotspots will grow

Others like train stations pubs cafes will add to them

In London there are many using WiFi VOIP in preference to Mobile
Any traveler should avoid Mobile roaming and use WiFi

with WiFi it means it could get "free'er" (no plans or Internet
charges) with the NBN it could get better and will get faster.

Those that do get the FULL NBN plan will find TV entertainment get
better no need for TV aerial. Security Cameras become a neighborhood
norm
http://tinyurl.com/p7mld4k
--
Petzl
http://tinyurl.com/Abbotts-NBN-Plan
Re: Parramatta launches Australia?s first 5G Wi-Fi network, with speeds up to 100 Mbps

Fibre has a maximum capacity?

Japan's incumbent telecommunications carrier, NTT, is claiming a telecommunications speed record, demonstrating a fibre
technology able to carry 1 Petabit-per-second - a million gigabits - over a distance of 50 kilometers, using a single fibre.

http://www.abc.net.au/technology/articles/2012/09/26/3598036.htm

There are many Dr Google hits that refer to faster fibre methods.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

$30 for an Olinuxino Linux PC:
Re: Parramatta launches Australia?s first 5G Wi-Fi network, with speeds up to 100 Mbps

**Every medium MUST have some kind of limit. Fibre's is so damned high
that we are unlikely to reach it for several decades. Wireless is, of
course, limited.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Parramatta launches Australia?s first 5G Wi-Fi network, with speeds up to 100 Mbps

What I am saying Trevor is that you have to keep an open mind on new technology. Doesn't matter if it is cable or wireless.

Again Dr Google will find some interesting results today:
http://gizmodo.com/5954407/scientists-promise-ten-times-more-bandwidth-with-no-new-hardware

In 5 to 20 years time, the rules will change again.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

$30 for an Olinuxino Linux PC:
Re: Parramatta launches Australia?s first 5G Wi-Fi network, with speeds up to 100 Mbps

**I do have an open mind on new technology. It is sad that so many
people are politically motivated to dismiss fibre, when it's true
capacity is decades away from being reached. Wireless will get better,
but can never reach the capacity of a single fibre. Further: Any
compression schemes that can be used with wireless to increase
bandwidth, can also be used with fibre. If people could remove their
political thinking from the issue, most technologically savvy people
will acknowledge that fibre is far superior to wireless. Less visually
intrusive, no arguments about radiation issues, too.

AND, I have already stated that wireless is very useful and will become
more useful in the future. It is, however, not a panacea. I live 25km
from the centre of the largest city in Australia. Wireless speeds are
pitifully inadequate and extremely variable. The best ADSL 2+ speeds
hover around 8 Mb/s. I look forward to fibre. I won't hold my breath
waiting for Telstra (or anyone else) to improve my wireless capability.
I know that the NBN will eventually arrive (provided enough people don't
vote for that technologically illiterate moron, Abbott).

**No question, wireless is nifty. Fibre is and always will be, superior
in all respects, save portability. And, possibly, cost (though I don't
have the data for this area).

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Parramatta launches Australia?s first 5G Wi-Fi net work, with speeds up to 100Mbps

The NBN may well do that.

Even if they do, you will still get it, because the coalition has changed
their policy on the NBN and now just want to do it using FTTN instead of
FTTP. And I bet they discover that that isnt feasible when they get elected.

The most important question is whether wireless will
be good enough for most. It isnt currently, but its less
clear how long that will be true for, particularly if most
use wireless most of the times.

Its certainly much cheaper than FTTP.

Re: Parramatta launches Australia?s first 5G Wi-Fi network, with speeds up to 100 Mbps

If they put in FTTN, it will inevitably be replaced in the not too far
different future, and will cost more in the end.

Re: Parramatta launches Australiaís first 5G Wi-Fi network, with speeds up to 100Mbps

FTTN after 8 years is a rubbish exercise already my Liberal MP's are
saying Campbelltown will be completed because the contracts are
already signed

Macarthur Liberal MP Russell Matheson has given assurances that
suburbs around Campbelltown would not miss out if the Coalition wins
on September 14.
--
Petzl
http://tinyurl.com/AbbottsPorkPies

But it remains to be seen if he's just another lying politician...

Re: Parramatta launches Australia?s first 5G Wi-Fi network, with speeds up to 100 Mbps
You shouldn't live around Campbelltown if you can't take a joke.

Re: Parramatta launches Australia?s first 5G Wi-Fi net work, with speeds up to 100Mbps

I doubt they will myself, essentially because it will turn out
to cost more than FTTP even right now, just because its is rather
more difficult to do than a clean break with the copper system.

That?s very arguable given how long the copper has lasted for.

Sure, and maybe even initially too.

Terminally stupid IMO.

Site Timeline