Parallelling audio outputs

Hi,  This must be a common question, but I can't find anything relating to
it in back postings on my machine. What's the effect of parallelling two
stereo outputs to produce one mono one, without any interposing resistance?
Can you actually break something by doing it with ordinary hifi-standard
gear?  Is there any devastating effect on quality, I guess I'll hear it if
there is.  TIA

Re: Parallelling audio outputs

"bruce varley"

** The outcome of linking L & R audio line outputs is not predictable, since
a wide variety of audio line output circuits arrangements exist in common
use.

It may work out OK .

OR

You will experience loss of level AND bass frequencies

You will experience peak clipping on loud passages.

You will experience clipping all the time.

NB:

 If the signal is in exact mono -   it will work fine !

........ Phil

Re: Parallelling audio outputs

Unfortunately the OP said stereo.
But Phil is right with the other answers.
The next question is why you would want to do it that way?
Just use a resistor summing network and all will be OK.

Re: Parallelling audio outputs

"Rod"

**  Unfortunately you cannot read.

The programme can be mono or switched to mono.

It is the one case where current cannot flow from one output into the other.

Mentioned  for completeness and to give a hint to the OP at the reasons
behind my predictions.

........ Phil

Re: Parallelling audio outputs

<snip >

Because you can buy neat adaptors from stereo 3.5 to Mono 6.5. I never put
an ohmmeter to them, but my guess is they simply parallel the two inputs.

Thanks for the info, confirms what I thought.

Re: Parallelling audio outputs

resistance?

Use a hybrid transformer. Two inputs have high rejection (typically higher
than 30db),..a common output.

Jason.

Re: Parallelling audio outputs

"Jason James"

** LOL.

A two resistor "mixer" does the job OK

-  using  2 x 4.7 kohms or 2 x 10 kohms.

Or, the luxury method is two  1:1 *audio line transformers*  with
secondaries wired in *series*.

........  Phil

Re: Parallelling audio outputs

higher

That is what you call a forced laugh,..lol!

Still less than good design. OK for mikes and passive signal sources.

Luxury? Try proper,..but still a bit spastic,..the hybrid is THE way.

Jason

Re: Parallelling audio outputs

"Jason James"

**  Laughing at fools like you needs no forcing.

** How would a moron like you know "good design" from a dog's turd  ?

** You must tell us why it is not OK for the other sources.

    We would all love a good belly laugh.

** You must tell us what is "proper" and improper.

    We would all love a good belly laugh.

..but still a bit spastic,..the hybrid is THE way.

**  Drivel.

.......  Phil

Site Timeline