P.I.R. sensor to detect small birds

I would like to set up a camera in a remote pool to photograph shy birds as they drink and bathe. Commercial infrared motion detectors are usually designed to respond to humans and often make a point of the fact that birds and small animals don't trigger them. Now that my picaxe-based wireless remote is up and running, we now have five cameras that I can set up to take exposures every ten seconds, with the potential to achieve 10,000 exposures in a session. Impressive but not practical. I hope to use a bird-triggered P.I.R. detector to prompt the camera to take six shots and then wait for another trigger. If I can come up with a PIR detector that responds to a bird, it will be a simple task to modify my existing timers to run for a minute instead of continuously. I imagine that commercially available devices designed to sell to wildlife photographers will be too expensive. Any suggestions?

Reply to
L.A.T.

I would have thought that a PIR would detect a bird if it was close enough, but maybe feathers are too good as thermal insulation. Perhaps IR beam(s) instead of a PIR?

Or maybe a microwave doppler motion sensor? I once used one of those as a possum detector but then possums are a bit bigger than most birds. Again it would depend on how close they are.

I'm assuming you don't mean emus or cassowaries...

Andy Wood snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Reply to
Andy Wood

Laser trip wire sensor or a weight detector or perhaps a touch switch in the form of a perch.

Reply to
Lord Garth

Another thought. Didn't you previously mention using Canon cameras? If CHDK is available for the camera you are using then you could use the motion detection feature provided by CHDK. Andy Wood snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Reply to
Andy Wood

"L.A.T."

** So forget using PIR entirely.

A microwave ( Doppler) or possibly ultra-sonic movement detector is what you need.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Maybe a CAT sensor tied to a trigger switch.

Reply to
Robbo

Tie a cat to the shutter release? (CAT sensor - wtf?)

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Pull , ( thrower operating noises) roowwwwshrechhhh (flailing cat) Boom boom ( thats a shoty folks) seems fitting

Reply to
atec77

Check out this link

it's a DVR with a motion detect function, not sure if it will work for you but it's worth a look. You can enquire via this website, from personal experience ask for Ben, don't deal with Colin or you will get ripped off.

birds as

birds

have

with

not

the

come

task

continuously.

Reply to
Techo

Even if you don't get ripped off, that looks like it would be pretty expensive.

The OP seems capable of some serious DIY so perhaps could make something using this:

Andy Wood snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Reply to
Andy Wood

The story so far: Thank you all for your responses. I have looked at them all, including the article in Everyday Practical Electronics May 2003 and the module from New Zealand. The remote places I have in mind don't lend themselves to a trip wire or something based on the bird breaking an I.R. beam. I have looked at one or two methods involving a laptop, but I'd rather avoid that added piece of hardware if possible. For the time being I am trying out a cheap PIR motion detector from the cornucopia that is Ebay.

It senses a person moving and instantly switches on six LEDs which are sufficiently bright to illuminate a flight of stairs, for example. It is one of many different types that are available, and costs twelve dollars including postage. It arrived today without any instructions, but I think I have figured it out.I am quietly confident that its sensitivity can be adjusted to respond to a bird in the area I have in mind. I will know by tomorrow if it is worth working on.I will butcher it so that I can take the power that is going to the LEDs and use it to signal a Picaxe to start a series of exposures in the attached camera. I can probably remove the LEDs and replace each with a socket into which I can then plug a lead to the camera controller.

Reply to
L.A.T.

When i enquired a while ago, it sold for $120, you just have to add camera and SD card.

function,

via

or

Reply to
Techo

I have had mixed results. Most big(gish) birds trigger the PIR but many small birds do not. I can't seem to see any pattern as to which little guys set off the PIR and which are ignored. Mrs. tt92 has suggested illuminating the area with an array of I.R.LEDs which might add some reflected IR to the radiated IR of the small birds and thus make them more likely to trigger the PIR. The additional radiation may tun out to be anything from insignificant to really useful. I don't know how to find this out except by trial (and error). Any thoughts? The project has subtly changed from being a hunt for bird pictures to being a technical challenge.

Reply to
L.A.T.

the

New

ip

ed

1...

ut

ty

can

ve

ad

ys

ng

he

the

nt

ng

IR leds operate in the very near IR at only just outside human sight, and some energy also inside this range. The PIR detects wavelengths several to many times this, as this is the range emitted from body warmth. So I would predict that though the target may reflect some of the near IR, the pyroelectric IR film will not be sensitive to this wavelength.

Reply to
geoffjunkster

By chance I got hold of a small toy with a really simple motion detector in it, which would probably do this job.

The toy is an Echo Bot from

But the sensor appears to be simply a photodiode mounted at the far end of a 2mm ID black plastic tube. I presume its AC coupled to an amplifier, so that any motion in front of the sensor generates enough change in the light level to trip a comparator. Really simple, but quite effective. Range is around 1m max, but might do what you want. I would not bother buying the gadget, just set up something using say a BPW34 or similar, with a dual opamp to do both amplify and comparator.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
Design Engineer         J & K Micro Systems
Microcomputer solutions for industrial control
Note reply address is invalid, convert address above to machine form.
Reply to
Adrian Jansen