P.I.R. sensor to detect small birds

I would like to set up a camera in a remote pool to photograph shy birds as
they drink and bathe. Commercial infrared motion detectors are usually
designed to respond to humans and often make a point of the fact that birds
and small animals don't trigger them.
Now that my picaxe-based wireless remote is up and running, we now have five
cameras that I can set up to take exposures every ten seconds, with the
potential to achieve 10,000 exposures in a session. Impressive but not
practical. I hope to use a bird-triggered P.I.R. detector to prompt the
camera to take six shots and then wait for another trigger. If I can come up
with a PIR detector that responds to a bird, it will be a simple task to
modify my existing timers to run for a minute instead of continuously. I
imagine that commercially  available devices designed to sell to  wildlife
photographers will be too expensive.
Any suggestions?

Re: P.I.R. sensor to detect small birds

I would have thought that a PIR would detect a bird if it was close
enough, but maybe feathers are too good as thermal insulation. Perhaps
IR beam(s) instead of a PIR?

Or maybe a microwave doppler motion sensor? I once used one of those
as a possum detector but then possums are a bit bigger than most
birds. Again it would depend on how close they are.

I'm assuming you don't mean emus or cassowaries...

Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: P.I.R. sensor to detect small birds

Laser trip wire sensor or a weight detector or perhaps a touch switch in the
form of a perch.

Re: P.I.R. sensor to detect small birds

Another thought. Didn't you previously mention using Canon cameras? If
CHDK is available for the camera you are using then you could use the
motion detection feature provided by CHDK.
Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: P.I.R. sensor to detect small birds

"L.A.T."

 ** So forget using PIR entirely.

 A  microwave ( Doppler) or possibly ultra-sonic movement detector is what
you need.

.....   Phil

Re: P.I.R. sensor to detect small birds

Maybe  a CAT sensor tied to a trigger switch.

Re: P.I.R. sensor to detect small birds

Tie a cat to the shutter release?  (CAT sensor - wtf?)

Re: P.I.R. sensor to detect small birds
Pull , ( thrower operating noises)
  roowwwwshrechhhh (flailing cat)
  Boom boom ( thats a shoty folks)
  seems fitting

Re: P.I.R. sensor to detect small birds
Check out this link
http://www.tenrod.com.au/htdocs/products/subcat.asp?product_id27%&sub_catego
ry_id60%4&sub_category_parent_id=0 it's a DVR with a motion detect function,
not sure if it will work for you but it's worth a look. You can enquire via
this website, from personal experience ask for Ben, don't deal with Colin or
you will get ripped off.

birds as
birds
have
with
not
the
come
task
continuously.

Re: P.I.R. sensor to detect small birds

Even if you don't get ripped off, that looks like it would be pretty
expensive.

The OP seems capable of some serious DIY so perhaps could make
something using this:

http://www.dontronics-shop.com/video-motion-detector-ic.html

Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: P.I.R. sensor to detect small birds
When i enquired a while ago, it sold for $120, you just have to add camera
and SD card.

function,
via
or

Re: P.I.R. sensor to detect small birds

The story so far:
Thank you all for your responses. I have looked at them all, including the
article in Everyday Practical Electronics May 2003 and the module from New
Zealand. The remote places I have in mind don't lend themselves to a trip
wire or something based on the bird breaking an I.R. beam. I have looked at
one or two methods involving a laptop, but I'd rather avoid that added piece
of hardware if possible.
For the time being I am trying out a cheap PIR motion detector from the
cornucopia that is Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item33%0287286102&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih01%4
It senses a person moving and instantly switches on six LEDs which are
sufficiently bright to illuminate a flight of stairs, for example.
It is one of many different types that are available, and costs twelve
dollars including postage. It arrived today without any instructions, but I
think I have figured it out.I am quietly confident that its sensitivity can
be adjusted to respond to a bird in the area I have in mind. I will know by
tomorrow if it is worth working on.I will butcher it so that I can take the
power that is going to the LEDs and use it to signal a Picaxe to start a
series of exposures in the attached camera. I can probably remove the LEDs
and replace each with a socket into which I can then plug a lead to the
camera controller.

Re: P.I.R. sensor to detect small birds

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item33%0287286102&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih01%4
I have had mixed results. Most big(gish) birds trigger the PIR but many
small birds do not. I can't seem to see any pattern as to which little guys
set off the PIR and which are ignored. Mrs. tt92 has suggested illuminating
the area with an array of I.R.LEDs which might add some reflected IR to the
radiated IR of the small birds and thus make them more likely to trigger the
PIR. The additional radiation may tun out to be anything from insignificant
to really useful. I don't know how to find this out except by trial (and
error). Any thoughts?
The project has subtly changed from being a hunt for bird pictures to being
technical challenge.

Re: P.I.R. sensor to detect small birds

IR leds operate in the very near IR at only just outside human sight,
and some energy also inside this range. The PIR detects wavelengths
several to many times this, as this is the range emitted from body
warmth. So I would predict that though the target may reflect some of
the near IR, the pyroelectric IR film will not be sensitive to this
wavelength.

Re: P.I.R. sensor to detect small birds

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item33%0287286102&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih01%4
By chance I got hold of a small toy with a really simple motion detector
in it, which would probably do this job.

The toy is an Echo Bot from http://www.latestbuy.com.au /

But the sensor appears to be simply a photodiode mounted at the far end
of a 2mm ID black plastic tube.  I presume its AC coupled to an
amplifier, so that any motion in front of the sensor generates enough
change in the light level to trip a comparator.  Really simple, but
quite effective.  Range is around 1m max, but might do what you want.  I
would not bother buying the gadget, just set up something using say a
BPW34 or similar, with a dual opamp to do both amplify and comparator.