Oxygen Free Cables - Page 5

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

"Eiron"

 **  I've got two ESL57s  here.

      3-D,  solid matter simulators  ;-)

..........   Phil

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

**    You incredibly illiterate moron!!!!!!!!!???????!!!!!!

He asked "Anyone got an equivalent circuit to model the impedance of an
ESL?"   You answered - "No, but I've got two cream cakes for little-lunch".

**    Learn to read English. Then comes comprehension lessons. Don't even
think about trying to reply coherently until you pass.

................Psycho-Boy

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

You are right to be sceptical about "oxygen-free" -and indeed that most
claims about purity of the conductor make any difference to the sound.  The
usually quoted explanations for effect of purity are changes in resistance
and diode effects.

You have to add a lot (certainly more than the ppm cable manufacturers
rabbit on about) of impurity or other crystal defects to affect the
resistance - it was a technique used in the Dept of Tribophysics of CSIRO
based in Unimelb in the 1950s to study metals (before my boss in
Cambridge/Oxford developed electron-microscopy techniques for more direct
examination of such defects in metals).  Put simply, the conduction
electrons are effectively detached from their atoms in metals (hence they
are called 'free electrons') and there are so many of them (of the order of
10**22 per cm**2) that they only have to travel very slowly (mm/sec) to
conduct even the largest of the currents likely to occur in audio ( less
than 100 A).  You have to put a lot of barriers in their way for them to
notice any difference in resistance - and this can always be compensated for
by making the conductor slightly thicker.

Likewise you have to work pretty hard to dissolve enough oxygen to form
copper oxide precipitates inside copper .  Oxides are semiconductors (i.e.
they have fewer free electrons) but this does not automatically create
'diodes' - and any such effect would in any case be short-circuited by the
metal around them.

On the other hand, the dielectric around the conductors will affect the
propagation of the electromagnetic fields which drive the electron currents
inside the metal, for reason explained in earlier posts - see
<http://www.essex.ac.uk/ese/research/audio_lab/malcolmspubdocs/G3%20HFN%20Es
sex_Echo_(cables_1985).pdf>
This article also explains why thickness of the conductors may be important
through 'skin effects' - AC currents become increasingly concentrated on the
surface as frequency increases, even at audio frequencies.  Likewise the
geometry of the strands will affect the AC capacitance & inductance of the
cable (and as Hawksford explains, you generally have to trade one off
against the other).

I have certainly heard differences between cables but it tends to only
become important in high resolution hifi systems.

Rod
Dr Rod Crawford
www.legendspeakers.com.au

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

etc...Snip..

Fascinating Rod. Many thanks for that............A M.

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 16:45:49 +0930, Kissing Lettuce
composed:

I'd settle for oxygen free DVDs and CDs. Does anybody know where I can
find some?

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

I'd settle for Phil being oxygen free, perhaps fred too

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

But don't they breathe methane?

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

I would expect the methane to be a byproduct of their speech.

They inhale good oxygen and give off methane.

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

to keyboard and composed:

Oxygen starvation is not a cure-all. Certain organisms, including
pathogenic types, can survive by anaerobic respiration.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

So now we know how the pathogenic little twerp survives in that place.

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

You are in good form today :)

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

***  I'LL SHOW YOU!!!!!!!!!!?????!!!!!!!!!
        One of these days...

...........  Phil (who is hiding)

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

finger to keyboard and composed:

If you mean *that* place, then the primary survival mechanism would be
coprophagia.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

Thanks for the laugh.

The phrase Chutney Ferret also comes to mind.

Site Timeline