Oxygen Free Cables

Ian and Mt.T said it nicely :->

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Have you tried Lithium batteries on the dielectric? Lithium produces the utmost in clean dynamic range, surpassing that of NiMh. On a true Audiophile grade system you will be able to actually hear solar flares on the sun when you power the dielectric with a solar cell. You have to use the polycrystalline type though, amorphous cells don't have the depth of field required. Adds a nice warm tube-like sound to the music.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

though

Now *THAT* was good! :-)

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

I'll say.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

That could almost pass for chinglish.....

Do you write user manuals :)

Reply to
Kissing Lettuce

I concur.

Reply to
Fred At Home

Lithium also adds to the calming effect good music has on the human mind. ;-)

Reply to
robert casey

Write them like Yoda I do. :-)

Reply to
robert casey

I wish! Bloke at the shop says I'm not ready for solars yet - and he says that anyway, when I do go solar, I'll need to cut a hole through the roof of my listening room. Not all bad news though - he says I *might* be ready for lithiums, and, seeing how things go, he'll let me upgrade my cables to a pair of LiIons (no, not polys - he's got too many other audiophiles waiting for them dammit), so there's hope yet.

Reply to
Poxy

Urgg, NOT a "tube like sound"!

:-)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

I recommend the use of mercury filled garden hose for that fine fluid sound..... :-)

Reply to
robert casey

"Patric" = Pat Scully aka " the Irish Joke "

** FYI

Mercury has 58 times more resistance than copper for the same cross ection - making it one of the poorest conductors of all the metals. Pure Silicon and Germanium are the worst.

Plus mercury is very toxic.

And this *** Congenital Fuckwit *** actually tried to make speaker leads of mercury ????

BTW Wasn't that mad idea published as a joke one April in ETI or EA ??

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Trevor Wilson" "Phil Allison"

** A big step up from figure 8 ( or zip ) cable is simply to tightly twist the same wires.

Easy to do and costs nothing.

Far better idea than using hose thick, hard to bend and terminate co-ax .

............. Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

that

indeed a good

tube, with

mercury to "wet"

you might

the cable

unable to find a

uptrying!

same cross

the metals. Pure

make speaker leads

in ETI or EA ??

So all those Mercury switches in use don't work eh? Aren't they are used on everything from car hoods to bombs. Shame they don't work.

TT

Reply to
TT

Car hoods? Do you mean bonnet?

This is Australia not the USA! Name just one car that has a mercury type bonnet switch???

You are so unbelievably ignorant. The only common use for mercury switches of late was room thermostats! Did you bother to actually read Phil's post? Is English not your native language. Drinking all that ATF has had a negative effect on your cognitive processea and you suffer from chronic bullshititus.

Reply to
Fred At Home

It was no joke....many years ago...(late 1980's) mercury inteconnects and speaker leads were made...and they worked....

But many observers/carefull listeners felt that the top end was gently rolled off... To others this suited their hard sounding systems...

In the name of Synergy, many strange things are made possible.

Reply to
knowyourhisatory

Thou shalt be taunted by the King's concubines, O ye whose name is but dung!

Reply to
TheWizard

Phil, what's your opinion on using CAT5 cabling, with the pairs in parallel. Neat, flexible.

Reply to
Robert Murphy

yep.

solid-core would be terrible because the interconnects would break if you move them.

I use (stranded) CAT5 for a wide variety of things - broadband scope probes, RS485 wiring etc. Its very handy, precisely because its twisted. Its impedance is very well controlled, and data is also available from most manufacturers.

only things are: not much copper area, so limited amps (or parallel pairs), and most RJ type connections are utter shit - fine for heavily error corrected networks or voice, but no good for important signals. especially not with vibration, as they are single-wipe connectors. decent plugs and sockets help a great deal, but the single-wipe vibration problem remains.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

**I'm not Phil, but there are a number of problems with the CAT5 cable idea:
  • You need A LOT of CAT5 cables to keep resistance low enough for difficult speakers. There are simply not enough conductors, of low enough resistance, in a single CAT5 cable. As soon as you start using multiple CAT5 cables, you start losing some of the advantages.
  • Terminating all those conductors is a PITA.
  • High power coax will provide adequately low R and L and is easier to terminate.
  • CAT5 conductors are far too loosely bound, IMO. This is where coax and Tocord are far better choices. Conductors are tightly contained within the outer sheath.
  • CAT5 cables (well, the cheap ones anyway) uses the cheapest, worst, most lossy insulation material known to mankind. PVC. There are far superior insulators. Those cables using superior insulators cost more money (surprise, surprise). Even the CAT5 ones.

CAT5 is designed for very low power levels, whilst Tocord and RG213 are designed (specifically) for high current applications. As is the best speaker cable on the planet, BTW - Goertz MI-1. VERY low resistance and VERY low inductance.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au