Oxygen Free Cables

Well 'Fred'.If you're not PA in drag you sure have mastered his turn of phrase to a remarkably accurate degree.

Reply to
Ayn Marx

..... and you madam, have a terrible stutter.

Reply to
Fred At Home

Phil Allison wrote: [snip]

true indeed.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

for a 2-wire parallel transmission line, the exact formula for external inductance for spacing s and conductor diameter d is:

L = 0.4uH*acosh(s/d)

my 2.5mm^2 speaker cable has s=4mm, D = 1.8mm

so L = 0.575uH per metre

I had 10m of the stuff, so 6uH. Thats 0.4 Ohms at 10kHz, which is quite a bit compared with my 4 Ohm speakers, so I stuck them in series and ignored it.

absolutely.

when I first connected the speakers in series, in a fit of inspired stupidity I stuck each speaker as far away as possible from its series partner. The resultant loop in the cable was huge, and much more than doubled the inductance.

Bob Pease suggested 64-way ribbon cable, interdigitated. That gets the L right down. the IDC connections can be troublesome, but a little adaptor pcb would be trivial

A simple, cheap approach would be a copper stripline. magnetics vendors often stock copper strip of various thicknesses, and sometimes wrapped with quite good insulators.

two long strips of 1mm copper, perhaps w = 25mm wide, wrapped in heatshrink and glued together so separation s = 1mm.

inductance L = u0*s/w = 0.4*pi*1/25 = *50nH* per metre

the DC resistance is about 2*20n[Ohm-m]/25u[m^2] = 1.6mOhm/m

the strip is one skin depth thick at 1mm = 66mm/sqrt(f) so f = 4.4kHz. For 5 skin depths, 0.2mm = 66mm/sqrt(f) so f = 108kHz. At 20kHz its 2.1 skin depths thick. So the AC resistance Fr is close to 1 over the entire audio band.

10mm strip will be about 125nH and 4mOhm per metre.

the problem with cutting the strip by hand is jagged edges. and it wont bend so nice.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

fix.

In my experience, based on physical measurement, thermal creep of the carrier causes this. The temperature variations across the length of the SIMM, the position of the SIMM carrier on the motherboard with respect to heat sources and the (poor) quality of the materials causes the contacts to move slightly. Reseating the SIMM fixes it for obvious reasons. The electro-chemical potential of gold and almost any other metal commonly used in electronics is zero, so its virtually inert. Poor quality carriers are far more likley to be the culprit - better airflow around the internals will possibly fix it permanently.

Reply to
David

What a load of truly physcho people, unable to express themselves without using the f word continuously. Very sad in a group which could be so useful See what I mean, Phil? One writes off their views automatically. Whereas *you* have been notably more effective recently in other threads with most welcome restrained and therefore much more powerful language. No doubt the flamers will respond to this with their usual language - which just goes to prove the point. However, as I think has been proved the leopard *can* change its spots. We shall see.

Reply to
nospam

Disagree. I feel only pity. And you've (perhaps inadvertently?) hit a nail on the head re "the only sort of emotional human contact they can achieve"

Here, I agree with you

Response just as I expected. You've proved the point.

Reply to
nospam

I can actually see this as the thin end of the wedge and possibly PA getting his own way and driving all the "nice" people away leaving him and FAWSF (AKA Fred) with a mutual adoration society while PS just inanely abuses them.

Maybe that's what everyone wants, just a tirade of abuse spewed across the screen at every opportunity. As I'm sure this post will generate it.

I propose a name change to "aus. hi-abuse.fest-fi and we can welcome every foul mouthed, anally retentive, psycho on UseNet to come and join in.

Regards TT

Reply to
TT

Only if YKW is allowed to play.

Reply to
Psycho-boy

I agree.

Reply to
Copy-Cat Toaster-boy

: > But he didn't get that old hag lesbian witch from the mountains of west : > Timbucktoo : > to place them in her cauldron and chant incantations with some hyena gizzards : > stirred in well : > on a moonlight night. : >

: > Apparantly Bethoven sonatas come though sounding like hip hop when the cables : > are used. : >

: You Shit Patrick. When did I give you permission to publish my secret : cable tweeking process on Aus.Hi-Fi ? That's the last time I tell you : anything . And by the way it's done on the new moon to prevent : interference from PA's full moon psychic babblings. : : ....and it's not just Beethoven sonatas either, the string quartets are : also rendered a great deal lusher.

What is really sad here is that this is basically what some of the more "scientific" apparatus actually purports to do.

I still love the one about freezing your CDs in a special bag a couple of times to improve the sound and don't forget the green pen is a classic to.

Cheers TT

Reply to
TT

**This MIGHT be a cheaper alternative:

Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to
Trevor Wilson

Of course you did. I was only pointing out the correct word, but you should stick to your comfort zone.

I certainly agree, but who's trying to be funny? What a ridiculous notion.

Reply to
Phillip Allison

Oh, I'm sure that you are on a sound footing there, that's why I never insist on anything. What are their views on grammar and punctuation, I wonder to myself?

Reply to
Phillip Allison

"Trevor Wilson"

** No way has co-ax got zero linear inductance.

........... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Best not to respond, Terry. This is a temporary invasion of jokers such as I've seen on RAO. They'll tire of the joke eventually, especially if you don't react. Phil however is a different matter.

Reply to
paul packer

Absolutely the same. Which is why I'm so glad you put a comma after "punctuation" and ended the sentence with a question mark.

Reply to
paul packer

I'm so happy that you are glad. And I didn't want to upset anyone by pointing out that "mmm" had started a sentence in lower case. Just an insignificant typo, not worth worrying about.

Reply to
Phillip Allison

You wouldn't know an invasion even if cum started pouring out of your arse.

Reply to
PhiI AIIison

No such thing as insignificant. Starting sentences in lower case is how the decline of civilisation begins. :-)

Reply to
paul packer