Overhead high voltage lines

Hi everyone,

Although I realise my question is not actually "electronics" related, I
thought I might ask the question here as its "electricity" related.

I'm looking at houses, and one of the areas in which I'm looking has quite a
few of the massive overhead power lines on the big metal towers.
No doubt you're aware that people fear the EMF generated by such lines, and
I wondered is it really worth worrying about, or are there any known facts
relating to what could possibly result in the potential for radiation
injuries and/or cancer, etc from continued exposure to the generated fields.

Any opinions or useful web sites on the subject would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation,

Adam

Another Brainless TROLL

"Adam"  =  brainless TROLL

 **   Just Google  "  power lines cancer  " .

 Take your paranoid, conspiracy theory  TROLLING  elsewhere.

.......     Phil

Re: Another Brainless TROLL

I don't think you understand what trolling is. This may help
<http://www.faqs.org/faqs/cultures/irish-faq/part01/section-6.html .
You will find the last sentence particularly illuminating so I'll
repeat it here "It's perhaps worth mentioning that not everything you
personally find offensive is necessarily a troll."

Re: Another Brainless TROLL

"David Segall"

**  No it is YOU that does not have a clue what TROLLING is.

**  Nope -  cos it is a completely inadequate definition.

There are many far better and more complete defs of trolling to be found.

Ones that include posts that are way off topic on somebody's hobby horse.

.......   Phil

Re: Another Brainless TROLL

For ages now I was wondering if you were a wanker or not. Now you have
proven it to me. My most service calls have been due to electronic equipment
below, or near major power lines. You should limit your replies to your very
basic experience in kiddy hi-fi. When you expand your knowledge beyond kiddy
doof doof, then you might be qualified to comment on real world problems.

Re: Another Brainless TROLL

For ages now I was wondering if you were a wanker or not. Now you have
proven it to me. My most service calls have been due to electronic equipment
below, or near major power lines.

***** Pot,kettle,black,wotta lame brained wanker!!!!!!!!!!

Brian g.

Re: Another Brainless TROLL

Ditto

Re: Another Brainless TROLL

Oh no, shock horror shock - the Quad ESLs have turned into tarted up disco
speakers. doof doof doof....

Re: Overhead high voltage lines

**I hope you don't use a cell 'phone. The radiation from one of those
puppies, 1cm from your noggin is MUCH worse than power lines 10 Metres off
the ground. And for heavan's sake don't EVER lie on a bed with an electric
blanket! Don't forget that pesky inverse square law stuff, which I'm certain
you remember from high school. With a leccy blanky, you're on it for upwards
of 8 HOURS and it is close contact with your body for that time.
Additionally, it is generally thought that the frequency of the waveform is
more harmful as it is increased (those pesky cell 'phones again), so 50Hz
from power lines 10 Metres up is pretty much unlikely to do any damage at
all.

Cell 'phones, OTOH, are a more serious worry. I am convinced that all the
data is yet to be properly collated from these things. And I don't mean cell
'phone towers either (inverse square law and all that).

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: Overhead high voltage lines

Don't buy a house under or near big power lines.
Regardless of whether or not there is any real health risk, your resale
value will SUCK.

Dave :)

Re: Overhead high voltage lines

From energex website

http://www.energex.com.au/network/emf/community_emf_info.html

Dont ever use a hairdrier or electric blanket!!

Re: Overhead high voltage lines

I use some serious power on Hf ( radio operator) and once measured the
emf in the shack

  frightened me till I remembered at least I know whats gonna finish me :)

Re: Overhead high voltage lines

Unless it's at the end of an airport runway ...

Re: Overhead high voltage lines

Then obviously the current/previous owners resale value will suck and YOU
will get a bargain :-)
The relative increase over time will almost certainly be similar to any
other house in the wider area.

MrT.

Re: Overhead high voltage lines

Then obviously the current/previous owners resale value will suck and YOU
will get a bargain :-)
The relative increase over time will almost certainly be similar to any
other house in the wider area.

MrT.

Re: Overhead high voltage lines

If you can find someone who will buy it.
There are other disadvantages too, like any money spent on upgrading a
house under a power line is a much worse investment than the same money
spent on one not under power lines.
Houses under power lines get a vastly lower number of potential buyers,
so when it's time to sell, you have less chance of getting a sucker
paying a high price, or people outbiding each other in a frenzy market
etc.

Dave :)

Re: Overhead high voltage lines

resale
YOU

All of which acts in your favour when you're looking to buy a house to live
in, rather than an investment property.
The health aspect would be less of a worry for an investment property though
:-)

MrT.

Re: Overhead high voltage lines

How are those houses for "free" electricity?

Re: Overhead high voltage lines

They are good.
After a few years your missus and kids glow in the dark.

Re: Overhead high voltage lines

..

Fluoro tubes can provide some lighting for free :-)

MrT.

Site Timeline