OT whinge - timber - Page 2

Re: OT whinge - timber

The decking is loose, with the holes being drilled above the nail heads
to allow the nails to be removed without splitting the timber - it
worked, mostly. Ultimately I intend to use plugs over stainless steel
screws, this appearing to be the option that provides the least scope
for moisture accumulation.

Sylvia.

Re: OT whinge - timber

Same thing I had on my verandah when I replaced the boards about 8
years back.  Out of 30 joists,
2 were rotted similar to this.  The others were fine.  This was built
originally about 1978.

One of the rotten ones had failed like yours, the other looked fine
for its age on the outside, but when you went to nail into it, the
nail just about fell in as the inside was gone.

Re: OT whinge - timber
why not use that  cresote substitute to stop post s rotting ?

Same thing I had on my verandah when I replaced the boards about 8
years back.  Out of 30 joists,
2 were rotted similar to this.  The others were fine.  This was built
originally about 1978.

One of the rotten ones had failed like yours, the other looked fine
for its age on the outside, but when you went to nail into it, the
nail just about fell in as the inside was gone.

Site Timeline