OT whinge about modern internet

In the old days of the www and before I could ask a simple technical
question and get an answer, today I can only get what others think I
want to know, (mostly commercial crap).
Trying to phrase a question in a way to get the answers to my question
is almost impossible.
Try this,say you have a couple of fresh horse tails complete with skin
sitting in salt and you wish to know what to do next,(tanning? treating
washing etc) easy, just ask in every conceivable way,you will only get
others wanting to sell already finished product and all sorts of waffle
not related to the mechanics of the problem.
It must be because us individuals would not ever want to know such
things,it must be secret information only allowed to be known by a
select few and the net in all its wisdom thinks I could not possibly
want to know or be trusted with the info.

Re: OT whinge about modern internet

There's a famous scifi story about a guy who comes across a computer on a
faraway planet that 'knows everything'. He eagerly starts asking it
questions, but the only response it comes back with is 'Don't understand the
question'. In the end he works out that in order to ask a meaningful
question, you need to know most of the answer already.

Re: OT whinge about modern internet

exactly

Re: OT whinge about modern internet

 There's your problem.  If you ask nicely and expect to have your answer
delivered on a silver platter, you're going to be disappointed.

 It's all in the way you ask the question.

 Say for instance you have a question regarding temperature on a linear
regulator.
 Asking "why is my 7805 running hot" it not likely to get you any responses.

 On the other hand, if you were to re-word the question like this:
 "I have a 7805 running at an amp with no heatsink and it's cool as a
cucumber"

 Then you WILL get many responses...

 Or, perhaps closer to your question, if you phrased it like spam,
offering your tail tanning services for some rude price, *THEN* you're
likely to get responses.

 Sure, most of them would be along the lines of insults, but at least
one of them will say "You're a rip-off merchant charging those prices,
you should be slaughtered, hung and dried, and besides,
www.InsertWebSiteHere.com has tutorials on how to do it cheaply and
effectively yourself."

 It's all in the way you ask the question.  :-)
--
The whole world is about three drinks behind

Re: OT whinge about modern internet
Try putting the word "tutorial" in the search string.

Re: OT whinge about modern internet
Thanks, I found more interesting stuff but not what I wanted.
I did find "how to preserve deer tails" which is a help.
I even tried,"tutorial how to preserve horse tails"
And got everything other than a real answer. Wash and hang up is the
nearest.
If I wanted to paint hair or tails or plait tails or anything other than
preserving hair and skin I am home and hosed.

Re: OT whinge about modern internet
yeah , u  ALWAYS  get   retards that say , " buy  a new one , why u wanna do
that for?,  etc.... "

maybe  u wanna do it your way ,  get  more experiance with differant things
etc...

Re: OT whinge about modern internet

It is called search engine optimisation, and companies are paying a
fortune to get their product to the top of the list. Unfortunately, this
means that the interesting answers are buried way down.

Re: OT whinge about modern internet

Just had another bout with google.
Just found three certificates of my ancient mother from the phonographic
society for "the theory of phonography" from the 1930s
I decided to ask google, after pages of crap I decided could not be what
I was after I found a small reference which prompted other queries
and I have nutted out it they were for pitmans phonetic shorthand.

Site Timeline