OT: which electric shavers do you like - the round ones or the long ones

The round ones apparently give you a better shave because they pull before they cut, but I hear they can irritate your skin more.

I have always used the long ones but I dont think they cut as well....

Reply to
Phil in Melbourne

I prefer the rotary ones (philishave), definitely work better for me. the "wire mesh" type ones I found didnt work well at all for me. Neither will shave as smooth as a flat blade razor though.

For the first week or so of use the philishave did irritate parts of the skin (would go red in parts), but since then, no problems. Obviously the skin adjusts to it with time.

Reply to
kreed

The current Braun work best for me, the way the head wobbles around (ahem!) seems to get the best effect.

But then I've been a Braun user for more than quarter of a century, before that a three-head Philishave, which was fine with new blades but they just didn't seem to last long, and before that a Remington of some sort.

I also have a result-of-the-RoHS cheapie battery powered Braun as well, that works quite well, even when the batteries are starting to sag.

Cheers, Gary B-)

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Gary R. Schmidt

Reply to
Jonno

I am/was a blade person. I hate shaving so I decided recently to check out electric shavers. After talking to a sales person, I decided to avoid the Philips rotary shavers as I am prone to shaving rash. I ended up spending $300 or so on a Braun 8000. Whilst not as good as a blade, it is not far off once you learn to drive it. I have been using this for 6 months or so now and I cant ever imagine going back to blades. It is so much more convenient, and being rechargeable (3 weeks between charges) I can use it in airports with no mucking about. I am now sold on electric shavers!

All I can say is that for most ppl its impossible to tell the difference visually between blade and electric. Its all personal. When you are in business, the benefits of electric shavers far outweigh that of blades.

Reply to
The Real Andy

At $300 They are not the answer. it appears to me you only buy them because you're promised a great shave, and then go back to blades. A bit like being conned, and never going back again. In the meantime they've sold thousands of these things that dont deliver. A bit difficult to make a consumer claim of these.

The Real Andy wrote:

Reply to
Jonno

I'm a Philishave rotary man (well for the last 40 years) too. I tried a few others including one of the early Panasonic wet shavers but it just would not work for me. I have also found out the hard way the more expensive Philishave work better than the cheaper ones (the cheaper ones seem to have less powerful motors as well as only a single ring of cutters).

--
Regards
Blue
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
aussiblu

See

a poll on the best and worst electric shavers.

--
Regards
Blue
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
aussiblu

I have never bought one before, so perhaps i was conned. I did the maths on a mach 3 v a $300 braun and i can assure you that the electric braun has paid itself on in 12 months. Infact, considering a mach 3 blade is good for only about 3 shaves, the braun gets me 18 months before blade replacement i think the electric shaver wins.

Now add to that, when you travel for business, the electric shaver is a lot more convenient. You can also have a shave without a bathroom.

So IMHO the electric shaver that cost me $300 is a bargain. It may not suit everyone, but it works for me.

Reply to
The Real Andy

It's much less trouble (and cheaper) to have a beard....

Reply to
Bob Parker

Every time I think electric shavers I think of Gary McDonald (Norman Gunston) and the interview he had with this American women, when asked why he has tissues all over his face he said he cut himself shaving, and she said "why dont you use and electric shaver" he replied " I do" Every one cracked up badly after that....

Actually you would think some shaving company would use this as an advertising gimmick. >>>Well dont you worry Braun will stop this from happening.

Reply to
Jonno

My $50 Remington DF-56 Wet'n'Dry Sport Shaver has lasted more than a decade, so even more of a bargain. Only need to replace the cutter head and screen every few years, and have only replaced the batteries once. Lasts ages on one charge too so you can take it on holidays for a few weeks and not bother with a charger.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Or learn to wash your face properly before you shave.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Who said he was shaving his face ? ;)

Reply to
kreed

I think that would fall under the "Don't ask, & Don't tell" rules.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Crap that happens once a year, and not before it needs it.

Reply to
Jonno

Spot on. I work at a place of pleasure.!

Reply to
Jonno

Lets face it, even Rudd has been to the place...

Reply to
Jonno