OT: thoughts on this 'powerpot'

Came across this by chance today: http://www.thepowerpot.com/

I'm very interested in this, as I run a wood heather and/or stove most
of the year. This is the first I've heard of it, if this was scaled up
a bit it could be very interesting. Interested in opinions both pro
and con for this device, cheers.

Re: OT: thoughts on this 'powerpot'

It looks like a peltier device.

I wonder how resistant it is to overheating damage.

Re: OT: thoughts on this 'powerpot'

I was wondering the same about heat damage too.

Re: OT: thoughts on this 'powerpot'

It is basically a thermocouple which had shite efficency in a heated
room, and most other places. Seriously, if they were that great, they'd
be using them down the Antartic to top up their batteries from the
cooking stove..

Expensive cooking pot really. That cord will eventually melt/burn and
then you'll just have a heavy cooking pot.

Re: OT: thoughts on this 'powerpot'
On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 13:45:19 +0000 (UTC), news13 blathered on in:

I reckon deleting the word and sense 'eventually' might be the go...

--
Toby

Re: OT: thoughts on this 'powerpot'

The one in SA was a massive combination of thermocouples.
Does that make a themopile?

I know what a peltier is; it is what you get in those crap coolers eskies
they sell in auto places and other.

Re: OT: thoughts on this 'powerpot'

Yeah, as far as I know that's what thermopiles are. They are/were used
in nuclear based thermal power supplies in satellites.

Peltiers are great little devices, I reckon supercheap and others with
their cheap arse coolers have given them a bad name!

Re: OT: thoughts on this 'powerpot'

I think silicon chip did a project with them once but the 5A draw was a
bit much for my interests/needs at the time.

Re: OT: thoughts on this 'powerpot'
On Sun, 20 Apr 2014 15:08:03 +0000 (UTC), news13 blathered on in:

Inclined to agree:-)

Yup - nil advantage, really, though there's a 'space' factor in there.

therein the problem.
A compressor driven machine drawing similar will generally do better
than the solid state stuff insofar as what it 'costs' to run.
Lately we've come to realize that the majors are actually taking the
trouble to build their more mechanically complicated product well enough
to run reliably for well over their warranty times and then some.
OTOH since we've had absolutely shit peltier stuff pushed at us for so
many years, now no-one out there is prepared to believe they're worth
buying...eva. And that's even if there are some decent examples of the
marque out there.... somewhere.
Of course Waeco/Dometic and similar would dearly love to get their
peltier stuff to top of consumer mind - it's pretty obvously well
cheaper to produce and a bonus price point is there for the taking -
just under the mini-compressor-powered stuff for a similar performance
level.
I, for one, aren't playing. The yardstick? If product literature
suggests pre-chilling the stuff you're about to need to keep cool - it's
not getting my 'ardearned.

--
Toby

Re: OT: thoughts on this 'powerpot'

Yep, we have an Evakool; 7-L camping fridge/freezer that draws 5A@12V and
will definitely freeze soft drink bottles of water.

A lot have compressors these days, if electric only.
Somehwere on myswag.org is a project by a bloke who built his own freezer
(?)/fridge with compressor and glycol(?)

Parents have had a string of those little things and after the first warm
stuff event, mum started treated them just like an esky with pre-frozen
blocks of stuff in them. Eventually she got dad to realise they were a
waste of money and they have returned to a simple esky now.

Re: OT: thoughts on this 'powerpot'

I thought it was something other than a gas.

Re: OT: thoughts on this 'powerpot'

Lol :)

And you know your welding gases. Yeah, right :)

Noddy.

Re: OT: thoughts on this 'powerpot'

Yes Noddy(the welding gas and grange hermitage wood duck), I know MY
welding gases, but you have never told us why you have yours, just a copy
& paste of BOC info.

Re: OT: thoughts on this 'powerpot'

As I've explained to you before Terry, and as you've failed to grasp a
few times now, if you didn't understand what I said to you initially
then repeating it continually is *not* going to kelp you "get it".

Just give up. You don't have a clue....

Noddy.

Re: OT: thoughts on this 'powerpot'

Lol, the welding gas wood duck has been trolled and caught again.

Re: OT: thoughts on this 'powerpot'

I may have missed it, but I couldn't see what the specs were on the output of this device, and the details on cables and
the apparent in line box-converter? seemed very vague?

Basically it looks good and scaling up for a wood stove etc. would be interesting. I lived off a wood stove for many years.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

All Olimex products now 30%+ off normal Olimex Prices.

Re: OT: thoughts on this 'powerpot'

Yes, pretty vague unfortunately.

Re: OT: thoughts on this 'powerpot'

vague deliberately, if you knew you would realise that it was not as good a
they want you to think.

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protec
tion is active.

Re: OT: thoughts on this 'powerpot'

Unless your habits are entirely nocturnal, wouldn't a 5W solar panel
(plus regulator) do the same job for less money?

--
John H

Re: OT: thoughts on this 'powerpot'

Possibly, although maybe not during much of winter time.
The cost of the device is the killer, obviously.

I already have solar panels, my main interest is in the fact that we
run a wood heater or stove here most of the year, so plenty of energy
in the form of heat to exploit.

<thinking out loud on the fly here mode>
I wonder if some sort of turbine could be added to the heater flue?
Creosote buildup would be an issue, I guess... all I know is water
turbines for hydro power are becoming *very* efficient these days, I
wonder if the same could be applied to a heat driven turbine.

Site Timeline