OT: Running a pedestal fan in reverse - failed - a rant of sorts.

Wrong. Think about it. Reversing the propeller pitch reverses the thrust vector. This is how turbine aircraft shorten their landing roll.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

The original discussion was about reversing the propeller don't know where the pitch comes in (missed that) you would not be likely to reverse the pitch on a simple fan.

Reply to
FMurtz

Thread seal or drill and tap propeller boss for a grub screw.

Reply to
FMurtz

I don't think hot glue will be strong enough. It might be possible to cut right-hand threads over the left hand threads, but that would probably result in severe loss of strength. It might work for a very coarse thread with high helix angle, like the level wind mechanism on a fishing reel:

If there is enough length of thread on the shaft, you might be able to put a second nut on it and lock it in position once it's tight. Loc-tite on the threads might also work. Another method is to use a lock-nut, or create the equivalent by deforming the threads in the nut or on the shaft.

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

Requires new fan blades with reversed pitch.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

???? If you reversed the motor the air would blow the other way with the same blade except that the leading edge would be on the wrong side, so you would reverse the blade without altering pitch to rectify that,IE take it off shaft reverse it and pit it back.

Reply to
FMurtz

No, as others have pointed out, a right-hand screw is still a right-hand screw if you insert it the other end of a nut. Reversing the pitch of a propeller changes it from a right-hand screw to a left-hand screw.

Reply to
krw

Loc-Tite. If you never want to restore the fan, Epoxe.

Reply to
krw

OK I took the cover off a 3 blade fan that turns clockwise. I removed the blade put it on backwards. The fan still blows air in the same direction. It doesn't blow very much air though. Certainly is some design consideration in the way the blade is curved. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Is this just to confuse one of your coworkers? Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I used nine of the big glue sticks yesterday to fix a really dumb bathroom light fixture. Hot-melt is interesting; it seems more like an epoxy reaction than just melting stuff. If it just melted, you couldn't get anything positioned before it cooled.

I suppose I could look that up.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That's not the topic of conversation. The OP wishes to reverse the entire propeller on the shaft. That rotates the pitch by 180 degrees which is only a change at all if the blades are not symmetrical which they likely aren't. It does not actually change the pitch, it changes the shape of the blades compared to the rotation.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

Ah, the scientific method. I hadn't actually tried it, since I knew the efficiency would be reduced and I was starting with a new unassembled fan. Interesting that the difference is significant.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I made this clock for that.

FMurtz

heat-activiated thermoset formulations seem like a good idea, but wouldn't that clog the gun?

Jasen Betts

No, it is not!

reversesing the proprellor changes the blade pitch by 180 degrees,

Aircraft make smaller changes to the pitch so that the slope of the blades reverses,

180 degrees gets you approximately back where you started.
Jasen Betts

Get one of these,

FMurtz