OT rant, iphone - Page 2

Re: OT rant, iphone
Companies like the iPhone for the same reason that they like the
Backberry, it is because it is so limited. Less chance of a user loading
a rogue app that penetrates the internal network.

Re: OT rant, iphone

For once we agree on something.

Re: OT rant, iphone

Ah!! Your phone has windoze in it. Now that explains everything!

--

Krypsis

Re: OT rant, iphone

We were not discussing my old windows clunker that I have had for yonks
(except as an aside) I had it when android was not as clever as it is
now and was much better than android then, we were discussing useless
iPhones.

Re: OT rant, iphone

If rich dumbos have no problems using one and you do, what does that
make you?

Fraser

Re: OT rant, iphone

Someone with more imagination most likely.

Re: OT rant, iphone

I dislike a lot of things about Apple and had jailbroken my handset for
an extended period. I have a huge music collection but have only ever
bought one or two songs from iTunes. What I can tell you is that amongst
the technorati (podcasts and blogs etc I pay attention to) Apple are
partly reviled and partly admired. But the truth is that most reviewing
this field choose the iPhone. It just works, it's at the front or
nearabouts in major features, the apps are far too many and typically
cheap, many are free and the product itself is the best.

But it is overpriced, yes. And it is locked down, though that provides
benefits in use because there is less that can be configured by you or
apps.

If you like Windows (I presume the old 6.5 yeah?) then get Windows Phone
7. There are plenty of handsets and they are cheaper than an iPhone and
if you're not into apps or music you'll probably be very happy.

--
CatharticF1

I can't resist no crossing signs

Re: OT rant, iphone
Rather than failing at derisement consider and just plain admit the
iphone is very little of what it claims to be and needs jailbraking to
become even midly useful
There are a number of much more useful and affordable phones

Re: OT rant, iphone

I had jailbroken my phone but now it's not once again. The only thing I
miss is call and SMS filtering.

--
CatharticF1

I can't resist no crossing signs

Re: OT rant, iphone

The iPhone is a business platform that maximizes profits for the
manufacturer (Apple) by taking away freedom from the end user.
Unfortunately among smartphones today there's no other choice than
Android since Meego, which would be the winner IMO, is being sabotaged
from within.
Take an Android phone/tablet and you will get the same functionality and
more freedom at a much lower price. You will have to live with Java
though, which is the number one reason I will abandon Android the day
there will be a native+open alternative.

Re: OT rant, iphone
I hear the next gen HTC is very popular within the company due to
potentual , now specifically which and what potentual is publically
unclear but I look forward with great interest as I currently use a java
based phone with no problems and still use a very old HTC1 with keyboard
which is a top phone

Re: OT rant, iphone

You can Jailbreak an iPhone and make it just as open as any other platform.

Fraser

Re: OT rant, iphone

You can write apps for Android in C++ with the NDK if you don't like Java.

Re: OT rant, iphone

... but it does come with a built in clock, doesn't it?
what more do you expect, to make calls!!!!!? ;-)

Re: OT rant, iphone

Can't complain about the price then, can you?

what a useless contraption,

Try telling that to the millions of users out there! They might
disagree. Many of my friends and colleagues seem to prefer the Blackberry.

Primary purpose - making/receiving calls.
Supplementary purpose(s) - Just about whatever you can find a app for.

No, making calls is their primary purpose - along with other forms of
communication.

I like the FM radio feature in my Nokia. Only snag is I need to use
earbuds with them and I never seem to have any handy when I want to
listen to the radio. I doubt I'd ever want to buy music from the iStore
since I could rip my rather extensive collection of CDs instead.

I wouldn't be bothered reading an eBook on anything short of a tablet
with a 7 - 10 inch screen. I do have a 7" eReader for that purpose in
fact and it works quite ok. Keep it in the car preloaded with eBooks
just in case I'm stuck waiting for someone/something and have time to kill.

Did you read the documentation for it? Would be available online if it
didn't come with the iPhone when it was given to you.

Try an anger management course. You might find it will solve your iPhone
issues or, at the very least, help you control your frustration. That
can only be a good thing.

You can still use it as a phone! Primary purpose, remember?

It does! All my "younger" friends download apps via WiFi.

--

Krypsis

Re: OT rant, iphone

I read some figures today, for Q3 2011 the iPhone accounted for 15.0% of
smart phone sales but 66% of smart phone profits.

draw your own conclusions from that.

Re: OT rant, iphone

Is that what they make from app sales - iTunes?
--
:-P

Re: OT rant, iphone

He did say "smart phone sales" so one could concur that only sales of
the iPhone itself are being measured.

--

Krypsis

Re: OT rant, iphone

After reading

<http://www.forbes.com/sites/afontevecchia/2011/11/04/apple-took-52-of -
smartphone-profits-on-4-2-market-share-in-q3-stock-to-hit-560/?
partner=yahootix>

and the two comments found at the bottom I would assume that the above is a
misquote and should be something like...

52% is smartphone profits.
4.2% is mobile phone sales.

That is two different markets.

--

:-P

Re: OT rant, iphone

Although it was not explicitly stated, the article seemed to be talking
about handset sales only.

Site Timeline