OT rant, iphone

Got given a 3g 4.2 iPhone,what a useless contraption,Frustrating waste
of time, what use are they?
First of all I do not want music,which seems to be their prime purpose.
I have no intention of ever buying anything from iTunes and it took me
an hour to figure how to get free apps as in the beginning it seemed
that nothing was going to happen until I gave my credit card details,
which I have no intention of.I discovered finally that it could be done.
I tried to download a free eBook reader app nothing happened at least no
indication of anything happening.So I decided to download it to computer
with iTunes, I then synched with phone but got nowhere (did not transfer
to phone)
tried to figure out how to put my own MP3 in phone to use as ring
tone,got nowhere.
Maybe when I get to other house with Wi Fi something might happen.
Almost got the hammer out.
Did manage to put some photos from computer to phone
I have an HTC diamond touch which I have some control over.
Without music being a major interest and a bank account the iPhone seems
a dead loss.
I might see if Wi Fi allows me to download some apps.

Re: OT rant, iphone

My old Nokia 6121 does most of that. Even got an alarm on it.

Re: OT rant, iphone

Have you considered something more your speed?
Like a notepad and pencil.
I understand there's an upgrade to an eraser coming.

You've just got a small bridge to cross to become familiar with it.
And unless you're using a dumbphone no bridge is shorter.

--
CatharticF1

I can't resist no crossing signs

Re: OT rant, iphone

It seems to me that an iPhone is made for rich dumbos, If you do what
apple want, pay money and download music to waste time with it may work
as long as you do not want to do anything that requires brains (in other
words toy for the masses)
My HTC phone is getting long in the tooth but you still have control
over it, it has windows as an operating system and you can do most
things that a computer does.

Re: OT rant, iphone

**ALL Apple products have been designed for rich dumbos. A mate of mine
(who has more money than sense) gave me his old computer (a very nice,
i5 machine, with three monitors and three fast video cards and craploads
of memory), because he was 'upgrading' to a new Apple. Cost him 4 grand.
Looks purty. Doesn't do much more than I can do with my new machine.
Doesn't work any faster either. I loaded mine with 16GB RAM (cost
$200.00). His 16GB or Apple RAM was an $800.00 option. Sucker.
Naturally, he has an iPhone. I use a 4 year old Nokia. Not a smart
'phone, but I can surf the web, use the GPS and make telephone calls. It
even does a whole lot more (even takes passable photographs), but I
never use all the other stuff anyway. It's a telephone, people!

, If you do what

**I might buy one of the smartphones one day. Samsung looks to be giving
Apple the heeby-jeebies. I reckon I might throw my money at them.
ANYTHING but Apple. Let the morons be fleeced by Apple and their
over-priced crap.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: OT rant, iphone

Only if he pays it.  Kingston RAM will go straight into his mac.  I've
upgraded the RAM and harddrive on my mac.  Apple didn't get a cent for
either.

Fraser

Re: OT rant, iphone

We stuck some WD SATA drives in a HP server and although they were
twice as big (capacity) and cost half as much, upon testing they were
faster than the SAS drives we got from HP.  The original intention was
to use them for overlapped backups of the main drives, but we are
reconsidering that. (everything is raid 10)

To quote Ice T "Don't believe the hype!"

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

---

Re: OT rant, iphone

Don't believe the hype is Public Enemy mate. : )

Fraser

Re: OT rant, iphone
On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 13:21:24 +0800, Fraser Johnston

I was wondering about that... Ice T doesn't sound black to me.

Re: OT rant, iphone

**He already bought the computer, loaded with Apple's over-priced RAM.
They mumbled something about warranty to him and he caved and paid the
big Bucks. Now he is just another slave to the rip-off Apple machine.
Sad. Good for me though. I ended up with a very nice, pretty quick
computer for nix.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: OT rant, iphone
for nix.

Apple service is far superior from anything I have experienced in the past
excluding Japan.

Can you get a replacement phone on the spot under warranty with the android
phones?

Nokia takes hours just to see a tech.

I have owned smart phones since O2 Atoms and before that, PPC.

What is it you can do on any of these that you are unable to do on the
others?

I have all my MP3 on my iPhone and it has not been jail broken.

I try not to be a iwanker but after a fault and dealing with their service
department I may replace some PC's with Apples in the future.

--
:-P

Re: OT rant, iphone
for nix.

**I've owned cell 'phones since 1991. I've never required service for
any of them. Of course, I've never owned an Apple product. Perhaps they
need frequent service. One could argue that, at the price demanded by
Apple, they can afford to replace them.

**I've owned several Nokias. Outside battery replacement (which, unlike
iPhones, can be performed by the owner), I've never needed to have one
serviced. They don't go wrong.

**Who gives a crap? I use a 'phone for (gasp!) making 'phone calls.
Anything else is just bling.

**More the fool you.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: OT rant, iphone
I can't say that I have had a problem with any phone I have had
either, except a
LG one where the screen got broken when I fell over.

MY Wife's Nokia dropped dead last year. Out of warranty, not worth
mucking about with.
Got an identical one, new off ebay for about
$80 including postage.  Was here in 2 days.

Exactly.
Do I phone's have internal batteries that cant be replaced by the
owner (easily) ?

I guess this is to ensure that you cant remove the battery and stop
the GPS running so they can continue to track you and spy on you even
when you turn it off ?

Shouldn't even have to mention this - MP3 is pretty much the universal
format
for music these days, and anything that doesn't play them these days
is an absolute joke.

I think I would stick to the PC's, more commonly used, replacement
parts of any spec you want available just about anywhere for very
competitive prices, motherboards, processors, video cards etc.  If
something dies, replace it and keep working.  No need to stuff around
trying to get serviced if you don't live near a repair centre.  There
are PC repair places even in many small towns.

Just about any windows app will run on PC's without hassles, and stuff
that doesn't, there is heaps of knowledge out there in Google to help
you with whatever you want to do with them.

Re: OT rant, iphone

No. Why would someone bag a company for providing (fantastic) service?

After talking about the easy service I got with my iphone fault I heard
that people have had BROKEN screens replaced on warranty.

Prior to iphone I had a Nokia N97, that I sent back for repair and was
replaced with a new one just as bad. Still have it. I liked the FM
transmitter for MP3 but now use bluetooth anyway.

I have not messed about with a mobile battery since....... the O2, apart
from having to remove it to insert remove the SIM.

Why would one want to service their own phone?
I just want it to work.

Who are they?
[looking for foil hat]

Only bling if you are waving it about.
I have used camera on phones transfer to pc since infared was the go.
Outlook maybe not as long but unable to live without.
I also love having music wherever I go without rings on my fingers and
bells on my toes.
Email is noice.
Maps handy.
Tapnews is a great time filler... usenet.

But you are right..... there is a lot of bling about, on all the
"smart" phones now.

Agree, but I did because it was my biggest concern about getting an
iphone.

:-)

This is the thing. Ten years ago I would have been on my hands and knees
under a desk pulling out hard drives or whatever.
Now I can't be bothered. My time is worth more than that.

Yes.
Same with the phones.
The thing is with the iphone most of the apps are mad for the market the
phone is promoted, and it aint smart.

Neither is bagging a product just because of the brand name.

--

:-P

Re: OT rant, iphone

This makes "Jobs sense". A couple years back you could buy iPhones
(various models) with cracked screen (but maybe still "working")
for $60 on ebay.

I got a couple to make a couple aps and they worked fine for that
purpose. (The public sources for the development system was another matter).

So to keep the prices up it makes sense to curtail this kind of
"back market" by simply replacing parts that probably only cost
the maker $10 per to make, install and ship.

--
Scientists are always changing their story and as a Conservative, I
have no tolerance for ambiguity.  It proves that all science is lies

**I'll say again: In more than 20 years of mobile 'phone ownership, I've
never had to find out how good (or bad) the back up service is for the
following companies:
NEC
Nokia
LG
Samsung
Sony
Ericcson

I've owned 'phones from all these companies (and several from some
companies) and NEVER had a problem with any of them. Most of my old
'phones have gone to family members and are still operating just fine.
Apple may provide excellent back-up service. They probably need to. They
can certainly afford it, given their rip-off pricing.

**Woo-hoo. My Nokia has been dropped more times than I care to think
about. Never missed a beat. No broken screen, nothing. Just keeps working.

**Replacing a battery is something I expect (and all reasonable people)
expect to be able to do on any portable product. Regardless of the
brand, batteries remain a weak point of any portable device. Sadly,
Apple don't seem to realise this fact.

**Battery replacement is hardly a 'service'. Do you send you TV remote
out for service, when the batteries require replacement?

**And battery replacement is just one of those things. I always carry a
spare battery for my 'phone, when I'm out. I always carry a spare
battery for my screwdriver/drill too. Making a battery swap difficult is
a sign of bad design.

**Yep.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: OT rant, iphone

snipped-for-privacy@g27g2000pre.googlegroups.com

NEC, were hopeless.
Nokia still are.
No idea about LG except their TV's suck.
I owned a Samsing phone once, never again. Had to pull the plug to stop
the synch software that came with it deleting my contacts. Terrible.
I have never owned a Sony.
Ericcson, used to have a couple of week turn around but have no idea how
long now.
Motorolla used to supply loan phones to telstra and service mobile
around Broadmedows somewhere.... are they still made without screws?

That is fantastic!
A lot of your family members use used mobiles?

Is it a ripp off?
I like service.

I have been told replacement screens can cost a couple of hundred
dollars for some Nokias.

I dropped my latest iphone in a full bucket of water and had to fish it
out, still working. Whats your point? Woo-hoo?

Ok.
Now would you sell a smart phone on ebay?
I wouldn't.

Reads like they can get a flat battery.  ;-)

That is so last mellenium.
I now expect my devices to last.
Simple.
If they are unable to last then I expect to be able to charge easily in
my car, others car, any USB and most homes.
Very simple.

Do they need them?

It was clarified that servicing a Nokia (apart from battery) above. ;-)
Plug and play boys.
Not multiple batterys and desktop chargers. So 80's!

I would have thought making a battery swap unnecessary was a good design
point.

Should I be alert or alarmed?

With SMART phones I think some should remember, just because you could
doesn't mean you should.

Personally I don't see putting all of ones data into a mobile device
that is connected to multiple wirelss networks to be so smart.
People said that about PC's though.

--

:-P

Re: OT rant, iphone

That's a strange question and I fail to see the relevance

Where else are you going to sell a phone when you no longer want it ?
Take it to cash converters or advertise it in the classifieds or
trading post, trade it in (if you can these days) and get nothing for
it ?

As for buying a phone, would I have been better off buying the
identical phone from Telstra etc for $200 odd (at the time)  and just
toss away $120  - especially to grubs like them ?

What if you are away from a power source for a length of time, or in
an emergency or disaster ?
what about when the battery reaches the end of its useful life ?

What are you doing on a tech forum ??

They do, as batteries frequently do not last as long as the life of
the device, particularly if they are used a lot, and discharged /
recharged a lot .

Once they fail to hold enough charge for reasonable amount of usage
time, its time to replace the batteries.

One or more spare batteries, and ability to change them without
difficulty are vital if you are going to spend any time away from
power sources for charging,
If there is an emergency It could save a life.

so how do you charge your fancy phone then, still needs a charger, and
any sort of charging dock is essentially a desktop charger.

Battery swap is always necessary eventually
- its just a matter of time how long it takes until it is needed.
Batteries in these sort of situations only last a certain number of
charge cycles - fail to hold enough charge eventually and need to be
replaced.

Maybe you need to read up on apple caught logging user location data
and forwarding it to Apple.
It is a breach of the users privacy and rights to privacy.  Even
putting aside the bad uses of this sort of technology by bent
governments and authorities, I do not want corporations logging data,
logging keywords from calls, SMS (or conversations even off the phone)
of where I go, when and where I shop, what I buy, How much, how often,
and this being onsold to other companies to help them con me into
buying more crap I do not want through "targeted advertising",
unsolicited calls, spam and junk mail.

I wonder what on earth you are doing on a tech forum, you sound more
like an average consumer to me with little tech knowledgs.

Re: OT rant, iphone

Think about data security.
Also, there is software that can be installed on mobiles that are more
than key loggers, they trace your location and allow third parties to
listen in to your telephone calls and see your sms/emails.
I would not sell a smart phone on ebay as I nwould be worried about the
data be retrieved.

I wouldn't. Read above.

I hate Tel$tra now but this does raise a point.
You can spend $80 on a second hand mobile with no warrenty and no
service. For an extra $120 you get peice of mind that an out of box
fault would be addressed and any other faults would be addressed over
the next twelve months.
You are not even saving half the price, risking your security and *

I am often. I charge with my motorcycle (power source).

As I wrote before, that is so last mellenium. How many decades do you
keep your mobiles for anyway?
Contracts are usually 24 months now, this is also the same time period
mobiles are deducted my the ATO so it makes sence to replace them.
It does not make sence to put used smart phones on ebay, purchase smart
phones from ebay or to bag others that simple use one product over
another.

* When I did repair mobiles on a contract basis for the likes of Tel
$ra/Optus/Erricson/Nokia/NEC/Motorrola one thing that disgusted me was
how dirty they get. But you would know this, as you place your second
hand mobile to your face and your family are pressing third hand mobiles
to their face....

So last mellenium. Phones are replaced before the above becomes an
issue. Just like cars!

Wrong, Its time to replace the phone.
You need to go over your math again. ;-)

Why would one need a spare battery if one has the ability to charge?
There are so many ways to charge a mobile now days I feel the above is a
none issue.
Take a laptop and charge off that!

You have me sold!

No. A desktop charger (in mobile telephone terms) has always been
optional equipment that allows the ability to charge more than one
battery at a time.

You are wrong. To prove this, look at how many other devices no longer
have the battery swap option. Things are no longer made to last ten
years. Look at the houses going up or the cars driving around.
It is cheaper to buy a new one. Expecially with the help of the ATO.
I am not saying this is a good thing, but it is fact.

So last mellenium.

I have read about that. It took two days I think Apple to come up with a
fix. The purpose of the file was for the use of other applications. Data
was never sent back to Apple. The problem with the file was it was
easily accessed (even on the PC) and this in turn allowed others to see
where one has been.
I put it to you that all platforms have the capability of doing this.

:-)
Sounds like a great reason to be on a tech forum.
What is your point?

Re: OT rant, iphone

Not if you take the battery out.