OT rant, iphone

Got given a 3g 4.2 iPhone,what a useless contraption,Frustrating waste of time, what use are they? First of all I do not want music,which seems to be their prime purpose. I have no intention of ever buying anything from iTunes and it took me an hour to figure how to get free apps as in the beginning it seemed that nothing was going to happen until I gave my credit card details, which I have no intention of.I discovered finally that it could be done. I tried to download a free eBook reader app nothing happened at least no indication of anything happening.So I decided to download it to computer with iTunes, I then synched with phone but got nowhere (did not transfer to phone) tried to figure out how to put my own MP3 in phone to use as ring tone,got nowhere. Maybe when I get to other house with Wi Fi something might happen. Almost got the hammer out. Did manage to put some photos from computer to phone I have an HTC diamond touch which I have some control over. Without music being a major interest and a bank account the iPhone seems a dead loss. I might see if Wi Fi allows me to download some apps.

Reply to
F Murtz

My old Nokia 6121 does most of that. Even got an alarm on it.

Reply to
Metro

It seems to me that an iPhone is made for rich dumbos, If you do what apple want, pay money and download music to waste time with it may work as long as you do not want to do anything that requires brains (in other words toy for the masses) My HTC phone is getting long in the tooth but you still have control over it, it has windows as an operating system and you can do most things that a computer does.

Reply to
F Murtz

F Murtz wrote in news:j9nu19$gnp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Have you considered something more your speed? Like a notepad and pencil. I understand there's an upgrade to an eraser coming.

You've just got a small bridge to cross to become familiar with it. And unless you're using a dumbphone no bridge is shorter.

--
CatharticF1

I can't resist no crossing signs
Reply to
CatharticF1

Rather than failing at derisement consider and just plain admit the iphone is very little of what it claims to be and needs jailbraking to become even midly useful There are a number of much more useful and affordable phones

Reply to
atec77

**ALL Apple products have been designed for rich dumbos. A mate of mine (who has more money than sense) gave me his old computer (a very nice, i5 machine, with three monitors and three fast video cards and craploads of memory), because he was 'upgrading' to a new Apple. Cost him 4 grand. Looks purty. Doesn't do much more than I can do with my new machine. Doesn't work any faster either. I loaded mine with 16GB RAM (cost $200.00). His 16GB or Apple RAM was an $800.00 option. Sucker. Naturally, he has an iPhone. I use a 4 year old Nokia. Not a smart 'phone, but I can surf the web, use the GPS and make telephone calls. It even does a whole lot more (even takes passable photographs), but I never use all the other stuff anyway. It's a telephone, people!

, If you do what

**I might buy one of the smartphones one day. Samsung looks to be giving Apple the heeby-jeebies. I reckon I might throw my money at them. ANYTHING but Apple. Let the morons be fleeced by Apple and their over-priced crap.

-- Trevor Wilson

Trevor Wilson

Ah!! Your phone has windoze in it. Now that explains everything!

--

Krypsis
Reply to

We were not discussing my old windows clunker that I have had for yonks (except as an aside) I had it when android was not as clever as it is now and was much better than android then, we were discussing useless iPhones.

Reply to
F Murtz

The iPhone is a business platform that maximizes profits for the manufacturer (Apple) by taking away freedom from the end user. Unfortunately among smartphones today there's no other choice than Android since Meego, which would be the winner IMO, is being sabotaged from within. Take an Android phone/tablet and you will get the same functionality and more freedom at a much lower price. You will have to live with Java though, which is the number one reason I will abandon Android the day there will be a native+open alternative.

Reply to
asdf

I hear the next gen HTC is very popular within the company due to potentual , now specifically which and what potentual is publically unclear but I look forward with great interest as I currently use a java based phone with no problems and still use a very old HTC1 with keyboard which is a top phone

Reply to
atec77

... but it does come with a built in clock, doesn't it? what more do you expect, to make calls!!!!!? ;-)

Reply to
Grid Leak

If rich dumbos have no problems using one and you do, what does that make you?

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Only if he pays it. Kingston RAM will go straight into his mac. I've upgraded the RAM and harddrive on my mac. Apple didn't get a cent for either.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

You can Jailbreak an iPhone and make it just as open as any other platform.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

We stuck some WD SATA drives in a HP server and although they were twice as big (capacity) and cost half as much, upon testing they were faster than the SAS drives we got from HP. The original intention was to use them for overlapped backups of the main drives, but we are reconsidering that. (everything is raid 10)

To quote Ice T "Don't believe the hype!"

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

You can write apps for Android in C++ with the NDK if you don't like Java.

Reply to
keithr

Companies like the iPhone for the same reason that they like the Backberry, it is because it is so limited. Less chance of a user loading a rogue app that penetrates the internal network.

Reply to
keithr

Can't complain about the price then, can you? >

what a useless contraption,

Try telling that to the millions of users out there! They might disagree. Many of my friends and colleagues seem to prefer the Blackberry.

Primary purpose - making/receiving calls. Supplementary purpose(s) - Just about whatever you can find a app for.

No, making calls is their primary purpose - along with other forms of communication.

I like the FM radio feature in my Nokia. Only snag is I need to use earbuds with them and I never seem to have any handy when I want to listen to the radio. I doubt I'd ever want to buy music from the iStore since I could rip my rather extensive collection of CDs instead.

I wouldn't be bothered reading an eBook on anything short of a tablet with a 7 - 10 inch screen. I do have a 7" eReader for that purpose in fact and it works quite ok. Keep it in the car preloaded with eBooks just in case I'm stuck waiting for someone/something and have time to kill.

Did you read the documentation for it? Would be available online if it didn't come with the iPhone when it was given to you.

Try an anger management course. You might find it will solve your iPhone issues or, at the very least, help you control your frustration. That can only be a good thing.

You can still use it as a phone! Primary purpose, remember?

It does! All my "younger" friends download apps via WiFi.

--

Krypsis
Reply to

Someone with more imagination most likely.

Reply to
Clocky

**He already bought the computer, loaded with Apple's over-priced RAM. They mumbled something about warranty to him and he caved and paid the big Bucks. Now he is just another slave to the rip-off Apple machine. Sad. Good for me though. I ended up with a very nice, pretty quick computer for nix.

-- Trevor Wilson

Trevor Wilson