OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work - Page 4

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

Dunno about your oven, but when the ignitor failed on our old oven you could
turn the gas on and use a match to light it.

Dunno on our new oven, haven't tried it.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

Probably not. If it's like mine, it has a flame sensor, and turns the
gas off after a limited period if the flame is not detected, so there's
no gas for the match to ignite.

Sylvia.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

That could be suicidal nightmare!

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

optical sensor?

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

I think it's thermal. There's a wire poked into the flame that gets red
hot. If it's not the sensor, I can't imagine what it is.

Sylvia.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

Damn!  I was going to tell you to clean the oven!

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

Looks like you sought to criticise my post (or was it me) without having
read it properly. The problem was not that the oven could not cook
during a power outage, but that for some unknown reason it decided not
to cook despite power being available.

Sylvia.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

**This is the line I focussed on:

"Leaving aside the fact that this means that a gas oven doesn't work during
power cuts,"

Ovens are extremely simple devices (their control sections are barely more
than a fancy clock/radio, without the radio). Finding and sorting out the
issue should take little time. I'd suggest replacing any electrolytic caps
in the control section. They will likely be rated at 125 degrees C or
higher. Element 14 should be able to provide suitable replacements.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

The words "Leaving aside" should have been a clue that that wasn't the
central point I was making.

Sylvia.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

Sideways comments are pretty instrumental in todays vocabulary.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

 Element 14 should be able to provide suitable replacements.

What were Farnell execs thinking? Element 14? Why didn't they go for
iPart 2.0 ?

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

True or false: Sylvia works for a law firm named iSue 2.0?

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

silicon is 14
an isotope of carbon used for age determination weighs 14 which is where you
probably got
it, thats what I thought of off the bat :-)

silicon and carbon are group 14

'Element 14' ? possibly something significant , or not

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

Sums it up ncely and when you didn't see any need for the old shite, you
chuckle at the new shite.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

The food packaging recommended using conventional oven.

The fact that I have a computer that is more powerful than a Cray was
doesn't alter the fact that my food, which should have been cooked, was
not, nor the fact that something which on the face of it is pretty
trivial to implement has neverthess been designed or constructed with a
fault.

Sylvia.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

**Packaged food? Urk.

**It is morely that there is a simple fault with the timer system. I'd look
at the electrolytic caps. Given the rigors of oven temperatures,
electrolytic caps are the parts most likely to fail prematurely. It is
certainly what failed in my oven. I didn't blame it on fancy technology, as
the control system allows for convenience not obtainable in the Victorian
era cooking equipment.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

The user manual (who reads those?) devotes most of a page to the issues
associated with failure to ignite the gas, and describes pretty much the
behaviour I've seen. It looks like either the igniter doesn't work
properly (though it works most of the time), or the flame sensor doesn't
(ditto). What's clearly lacking in the design is any sort of alarm to
alert the user to the problem. The user is expected to observe that the
system has adopted a "safe" state by noting that the thermostat
indicator is on, but the flame is off, which is a tad hard to do if
one's in a different room at the time.

The old gas ovens solved the problem of gas not igniting during cooking
by reducing the flame when the oven was hot enough, rather than
extinguishing it.

Sylvia.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

**Meanwhile, those of us in more enlightened areas have electrically powered
ovens (I accept the clear advantages of gas cooktops), which don't seem to
have the sorts of silly problems you've encountered. We certainly don't cook
"packaged foods". Fresh is best.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

That reminds me, you can stick your holier-than-thou attitude where the
sun doesn't shine. I will make the call as to the appropriate balance
between nutrition, cost, time and convenience, in any particular
instance. No one else is in a position to make that judgement for me.

Sylvia.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

**As you see fit.

Wrong side of the bed today?

--
Trevor Wilson