OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work - Page 3

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

No, but then most of the people near me have a few quid left.
We tend to follow along in a few years and leapfrog all the pools of blood left
as the
bleeding edge moves on.

The matured or innovative tech that drives the mobile devices isn't the
integrated
electronics.
What drives them all is the battery developments.
I am actually very impressed by that, even if power density is becoming a
fire/explosion
hazard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a4gyJsY0mc

If you don't have battery life you just don't have an iphone,    you have an
idrinkscoaster.

Which comes back to the gas oven, gas cookers that require power for temperature
control
and probably a fan as well. No backup, no use of heat to top up the backup?
I have a hand cranked LED light , a gas stove with a crank start would be a
thing, you can
get handcranked radios and probably iphones.
Hey, kerosene fridges were an innovation.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

Y'all are similar to my wife.  If I make a seven word sentence she will take
out the four words that promote her cause and ignore the rest.  The third
word in my initial response is "rant".

  FROM WIKIPEDIA
A rant is a speech or text that does not present a calm argument; rather, it
is typically an enthusiastic speech or talk or lecture on an idea, a person
or an institution.

Rants can be based on partial fact or may be entirely factual but written in
a comedic/satirical form. Rants can also be used in the defense of an
individual, idea or organization. Rants of this type generally occur after
the subject has been attacked by another individual or group.

My first notable accomplishment was a respiratory monitor on the Sky Lab
project in late
1971.  I know it crashed and burned (as designed) but what we did there
played a big part of future space travel.  I also have equipment still
flying on the Hubble Telescope.  Did I design the Sky Lab or Hubble, of
course not.  Many of us had a hand in it.  Did we innovate?  Definitely.

In 1983 A mechanical engineer and I developed a tester for racquet balls;
still the world standard.  Did it make the world a better place? No. But
unless your name is Ray you did not work on it.

Did I design the transistor?  Of course not but while in school I was
working with $15 per chip 7400 logic.  How many of you remember the MHTL
logic line?  We used this rather noise immune family to make foot balls for
AMF VOIT.  Do I use a computer?  Sure.  Did I invent it?  Of course not,
but I used a VIC20 (remember those) to build fuselages for Boeing Aircraft.

Innovation; 1974 I designed the FIRST continuous feed weigh belt to have a
state of California seal for commerce.  I designed ground support equipment
for the Stealth Bomber before most people knew there was a Stealth Bomber,
and this equipment is still in use.

Y'all flame on here and I will just flame out.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

I'm sure that, like most of your contemporaries, you have contributed
to some of the changes we have seen over the last forty years.

However, I have to offer some strong support to your wife! Four words
out of seven is a significant part of your argument. You said "Now
days I do not see as much innovation.  I fear we have run out of
forward thinking minds. Is this generation spoiled and complacent?".
How can you possibly justify that based only on the contributions to
existing technologies that you have cited?

I provided an example of a major, recent shift in technology that you
chose to ignore.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

OK, let's cut the bullshit right now before you even begin. The first
space travel program was the Mercury Program in 1958, so if we are to
take your word as true, you were a fully qualified electronics
engineer employed by NASA at what, 7 years of age or so?  I'm
surprised we have not heard of you before now.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

OK, let's cut the bullshit right now before you even begin. The first
space travel program was the Mercury Program in 1958, so if we are to
take your word as true, you were a fully qualified electronics
engineer employed by NASA at what, 7 years of age or so?  I'm
surprised we have not heard of you before now.

Mister Coach you are similar to my wife.  If I make a seven word sentence
[...]

logic line?  Do I use a computer?  Sure.  Did I invent it?  Of course not,
but I used a VIC20 (remember those) to build fuselages for Boeing Aircraft.

Innovation; 1974 I designed the FIRST continuous feed weigh belt to have a
state of California seal for commerce.  I designed ground support equipment
for the Stealth Bomber before most people knew there was a Stealth Bomber,
and this equipment is still in use.

Have you heard of me?  I doubt it.  I never claimed to be famous.  But if
you ever rode in a Ford Areostar you were using software that I developed to
simulate the driver compartment mockup before the line went into production.
If you saw the Star Wars movies you saw some special effects I worked on.
If you ever have been to any of the Disney them parks your memorable
experiences there were because of something I had a hand in.  Next time you
are in Taipei and turn on a light and it comes on it is because I worked on
the nuclear power plant there.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

But if

Yes! Nominated for Comeback of the Week (COTW).

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work
RE: there is nothing left to innovate

Yes IP laws are just corporate guard dogs these days

ALL copyright should be 2 years!

We should be able to download XP, Lady Gaga, and Revenge of the Nerds
by now!

You have to wait 100 years after someone's death to use a phrase that
they coined!

There has to be a COMPROMISE between the File sharing brigade and the
corporate copyrighters

If you want NEW media then you can pay
2 years old and it should be free to download, use as you wish!

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work
Geez! you are a star in your own mind.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work
But if

That's all nice and dandy, but typing out a nearly 2000 word essay to
simply backpedal on your statement that you made earlier that you were
employed by NASA at age 7 as a fully qualified electronics engineer
for the Mercury Space Program isn't doing you any favours.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

You have been Coached by the Hypodermic Coach. :-)
Don't let it get under your skin.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work
On May 7, 11:47A0%am, "| || ||| ||||| || |" <|||||||||||||||||||||>

I will never understand why lonely bored anonymous old men will always
try to convince total strangers on usenet of their alleged "abilities"
and "achievements".  Who do they think they are kidding?  This guy
reckons he was employed by NASA at 7 years of age, and now in his
60's, he's trying to justify his life achievements to total strangers
on a tv dating site.  I shake my head.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

I will never understand ...
I shake my head.

-----------------
 That explains it.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

**Oh stop whining, you stupid, whinging Pom. When I was a kid, we had an
electric oven. When the power went out, we didn't eat. Now I still have an
electric oven. When the power goes out, I don't eat. Or, more likely, I go
out and find a place to buy some food. Something I couldn't do as a kid,
since pretty much nothing was open after 5:30PM.

Further to your silly rant:

I presume you are typing this missive on an electric computer. Your computer
has more power than a Cray supercomputer from the 1980s. It has more power
than the combined power of all the computers on the planet in the early
1960s. All thanks to technology.

Here's a thought for you: Buy a microwave oven and connect it to your petrol
generator. Presto: Food.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

Trevor, the rant was about innovation. Much of what we see today is
not true innovation but more like a repackaging of several old
innovations.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

Brad, can I have a word?

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

**Of course. Like my new refrigerator. My old 'fridge required a 6 monthly
defrost, which meant that I had to pull all the stuff out and dig away at
the ice. That's 2 hours every six months. My new 'fridge does not require
defrosting. Or my car. I NEVER have to adjust the timing, the carby of
pretty much anything else. It starts, every time, rain, hail or shine or on
the coldest mornings. My old car (which was pretty much the same thing)
would hesitate and stall on cold days, required constant attention and
consumed vastly more fuel. The addition of moden, complex technology has
revolutionised automobiles.

Modern, complex technology is not only helpful, but essential to our daily
life.

Sylvia's problem with her oven could have been solved, had she connected the
electric portion of the oven to her petrol generator. In fact, the electric
portion consumes so little power, than a car battery and a small DC-AC
inverter could have been used. Sylvia has the technical abilities to manage
this task with consumate ease.

IOW: It was a non-problem. She was just having a whinge.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

Probably. The ignitor part of our gas cooktop (the oven is electric) has
failed. When I contacted the parts place, there were both mains and
battery versions available.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

If the oven just plain didn't work, I'd have a chance of fixing it, and
knowing that I had. As things stand, it misbehaves just occasionally.

Sylvia.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

Use a match.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

How is that going to work?

Sylvia.

Site Timeline