OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

he

't

You could just monitor the oven temperature with a wireless thermometer.

Reply to
Brad

True or false: Sylvia works for a law firm named iSue 2.0?

Reply to
Wolfgang Wildeblood

ues

the

sn't

the

,

I'm still waiting for my bluetooth coffee cup. So I definitely agree with Herman that the rate of innovation/renovation is slowing. Do the purveyors of wireless gadgetry not understand that civilized people don't want their food and drinks served at "about" the right temperature? Let poor people scold their fingers on cups that are too hot or suffer coffee that has been let cool too long.

Reply to
Wolfgang Wildeblood

Most would recommend installing an electric oven, with a gas cook top. Chuck it out and buy a new one.

Reply to
Kelpie

Get a gas microwave for reliability.

Reply to
MontyCarlo

Such as?

Reply to
Clocky

...and your original claim that consecutive versions of windows got buggier is utter nonsense regardless. From 1.x to XP saw more and better features and increased stability all the way through (except for Win ME perhaps).

Reply to
Clocky

er

Well I just typed in PAY into the search box and got

Think you have to pay taxes? Think again! Looking to buy traffic with paypal Nailed to a cross to die further for innocent... More RAM please add memory to your computer

and a dozen more CONVERSATIONS nothing do do with my PAY.XLS file I wanted to search for

the memory card in the side of the computer never registers anywhere, I have to open pictures just to see what the height and width are, I don't even know what the file type is on the pictures they are HPP PHOTO FILE whatever that is! I can't uninstall half of the programs, every time I click a wrong key the form submits with half the data on it or goes to a new page and my form entry is lost, 20 windows popup every day because my fingers slip on some keyboard shortcut, dozens more...

I don't even TRY to find a function any more - everything is disabled and hidden to force you to upgrade next version.

Reply to
Graham Cooper

Just light your farts while holding your food in front.

Reply to
Kelpie

er

That's crap, Clocky. ME was one of the best; it's 98 that used to crash every two hours no matter how gently one treated it. The problem with ME was its lack of unicode support. That was the only immediate benefit when you updated from ME to XP.

Reply to
Wolfgang Wildeblood

You're just incompetent.

Reply to
Clocky

Nope.

ME was one of the best; it's 98 that used to

Nope, 98SE was the best version of Windows until XP came out. ME had too many driver issues.

The problem

XP was a huge leap forward, ME was only good if you had the right hardware else it was a dog. 98SE was the best of both world, stable, good drtiver support and good backward compatibility.

Reply to
Clocky

ssues

ch the

oesn't

t the

cy,

of

ets

So I definitely agree

S C A L D. Naughty burnt fingers, naughty.

Reply to
Brad

I'll take your word for it. I never used 98SE - went straight from 98 to ME and loved it. 98 should never have seen the light of day, it was a disaster. Mine used to BSOD after two or three hours even if it was just sitting there untouched.

I'll agree that XP was a leap forward from 98/SE/ME under the bonnet, but WRT usability I just don't see it.

Reply to
Wolfgang Wildeblood

I can't say I had many problems with it, apart from some hibernation issues and the odd dodgey driver, it was pretty stable on the dozens of systems I installed it on when I was selling systems. It certainly wasn't perfect, but it was a huge leap forward from Win95 which was unstable.

I guess it depends on what you use your computer for.

Reply to
Clocky

Y'all are similar to my wife. If I make a seven word sentence she will take out the four words that promote her cause and ignore the rest. The third word in my initial response is "rant".

FROM WIKIPEDIA A rant is a speech or text that does not present a calm argument; rather, it is typically an enthusiastic speech or talk or lecture on an idea, a person or an institution.

Rants can be based on partial fact or may be entirely factual but written in a comedic/satirical form. Rants can also be used in the defense of an individual, idea or organization. Rants of this type generally occur after the subject has been attacked by another individual or group.

My first notable accomplishment was a respiratory monitor on the Sky Lab project in late

1971. I know it crashed and burned (as designed) but what we did there played a big part of future space travel. I also have equipment still flying on the Hubble Telescope. Did I design the Sky Lab or Hubble, of course not. Many of us had a hand in it. Did we innovate? Definitely.

In 1983 A mechanical engineer and I developed a tester for racquet balls; still the world standard. Did it make the world a better place? No. But unless your name is Ray you did not work on it.

Did I design the transistor? Of course not but while in school I was working with $15 per chip 7400 logic. How many of you remember the MHTL logic line? We used this rather noise immune family to make foot balls for AMF VOIT. Do I use a computer? Sure. Did I invent it? Of course not, but I used a VIC20 (remember those) to build fuselages for Boeing Aircraft.

Innovation; 1974 I designed the FIRST continuous feed weigh belt to have a state of California seal for commerce. I designed ground support equipment for the Stealth Bomber before most people knew there was a Stealth Bomber, and this equipment is still in use.

Y'all flame on here and I will just flame out.

Reply to
Herman

OK, let's cut the bullshit right now before you even begin. The first space travel program was the Mercury Program in 1958, so if we are to take your word as true, you were a fully qualified electronics engineer employed by NASA at what, 7 years of age or so? I'm surprised we have not heard of you before now.

Mister Coach you are similar to my wife. If I make a seven word sentence she will take out the four words that promote her cause and ignore the rest. The third word in my initial response is "rant".

[...]

Did I design the transistor? Of course not but while in school I was working with $15 per chip 7400 logic. How many of you remember the MHTL logic line? Do I use a computer? Sure. Did I invent it? Of course not, but I used a VIC20 (remember those) to build fuselages for Boeing Aircraft.

Innovation; 1974 I designed the FIRST continuous feed weigh belt to have a state of California seal for commerce. I designed ground support equipment for the Stealth Bomber before most people knew there was a Stealth Bomber, and this equipment is still in use.

Have you heard of me? I doubt it. I never claimed to be famous. But if you ever rode in a Ford Areostar you were using software that I developed to simulate the driver compartment mockup before the line went into production. If you saw the Star Wars movies you saw some special effects I worked on. If you ever have been to any of the Disney them parks your memorable experiences there were because of something I had a hand in. Next time you are in Taipei and turn on a light and it comes on it is because I worked on the nuclear power plant there.

Reply to
Herman

have to download everything twice because there's no way to find recent files have to click 20 directories every time you upload have to scroll past WINDOWS and MICROSOFT and OFFICE links to run EXCEL which is under STARTER EDITION have to search to find Accessories set as background does exactly that - never accomplishes setting the background image most menus are disabled there's MY_DOWNLOADS DOWNLOADS USER/../DOWNLOADS which is never the same download directory clicking on MY_DOCUMENTS asks for a system password DESKTOP moves around the directory structure half the time it's under FAVORITES it still can't multitask IE freezes even though the page has mostly loaded I click View Images and the prompt is DO YOU WANT TO SEE ..... just the secure images... and the correct response is NO

I don't even program on the thing I just view the internet and that's

20!
Reply to
Graham Cooper

er

it

it

lf

ch

. I

ce

st.

it

on

in

tely.

urse not,

t.

ment

,

But if

on.

you

on

Yes! Nominated for Comeback of the Week (COTW).

Reply to
Wolfgang Wildeblood

Geez! you are a star in your own mind.

Reply to