OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work - Page 2

Re: OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

Hyperterm isn't in W7. You have to install it yourself, and to do that
you need to copy the files out of a computer running XP and paste them
into W7. That makes W7 much less useful in my line of business so XP
will live to see another day and another few years.

Re: OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

Telnet still exists in Windows, I have it on my Windows 7 64-bit machine.

Hyperterminal was garbage that was skewed towards dial-up services (e.g
you had to create a connection to access the serial terminal).

Most people realise this and use real serial terminal software that is
free too, such as:

Tera Term Pro
PuTTY (highly recommended)

Regards,

Ross..

Re: OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

I would say that Most people Don't use those others, when the
Maintenance Manual calls up Hyperterminal and gives the correct
settings, most people don't bugger around wasting time with other
software that may create more problems than they solve.

Re: OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

I meant people that are experienced at regularly using SSH/Telnet/Serial
terminals. Obviously if you have no clue you will use whatever you're
step-by-step instructions tell you too. I used to use Hyperterminal too,
until I got a clue.

Regards,

Ross..

Re: OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

More stable but less usable. I'd use XP in preference to 7 any day.

Re: OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

I used to think that when I tried to use Vista, but Windows 7 is
actually superior to XP in most ways. Especially for the average home
user that doesn't know much about how their operating system works.

Regards,

Ross..

Re: OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

It's a bad move to defend Microsoft under any circumstances, even on the rare
occasions it is justified. Having done so will hang over your head for the rest
of your life. It's one of those things you can never live down.

Re: OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

I hate McCain. Birds Eye will win.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

Shut up and get back in the kitchen Sylv. Just be grateful your man / a man
provided you with an oven

/bigot mode off....    :)

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

I will rant in the same area but with a different uptake on the problem.  I
am in my 60s.  I saw the development of the integrated circuit, space travel
era, color TV, computers, cell phones.  I was part of that and as an
electronics engineer participated in much of this development.  Now days I
do not see as much innovation.  I fear we have run out of forward thinking
minds.  Is this generation spoiled and complacent?

Last month I saw an announcement about a great innovation in the bottled
water market.  They came up with a bottle cap that used 20% less plastic!
Two weeks ago a lap top manufacturer promoted their interchangeable color
covers!  My cell phone can take a picture!  Has all of the good stuff
already been invented?  Now days not many people know how to repair
anything, it is a throw away world.  I picked up a 60" TV some one threw
away because the projection light bulb burned out!

Ten years from now who will be available to design or fix the new technology
if we have any.  I talked to one of my neighbor kids who is graduating high
school in a few weeks.  While he was playing a video game I asked him what
he was going to do after school.  He was not sure but is going to try to get
a job a Taco Bell.

This morning I read of a new innovation in IC technology, a 3D transistor
the will speed up computer chips and take up less space.  Finally something
positive.  But all in all I am afraid, very afraid of our technological
future when the best we can do is create a gas oven that does not work as
well as a 70 year old design.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

As distinct from an old innovation?

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

Well spotted, he thought to himself.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

I can see the difference. The cell phone is now an old innovation. It
was an innovation when it was created, but now the idea is old. Or  do
you have so little to contribute the best you can come up with is a
picky little spelling flame. Right there, you are part of the problem.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

Who got out the wrong side of the bed this morning, then?

Dingo Bob makes an effort, goes a whole day without mentioning anuses
once, and that's the thanks he gets?

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

Or perhaps because the previous owner wanted a new widescreen plasma
instead, and had no interest in repairing the TV no matter how little it
might cost. Though these days it can frequently cost more than an
appliance is worth merely to find out how much it will cost to repair.
So people don't even bother. When it breaks outside the (derisory)
manufacturer's warranty period [*], it gets replaced.

[*] Yes, those of us in the know make use of the statutory warranties,
but most people are not in the know.

Well, he'll be selling Tacos to my son, who's working on his degree :)

We must be about due for something totally unexpected and world
changing. But don't ask me what ;)

Sylvia.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

The integrated circuit was first patented in 1949, the first space
travel was in 1961, the shadow mask colour television was first
demonstrated in 1939, the first electronic programmable computer was
operational in 1945. That leaves the cell phone as the only innovation
that you have seen in your working life and even that was first used
in 1973. What "innovations" have you participated in over the last
forty years?

You don't see much innovation because what you see as innovations are
usually the result of someone taking advantage of the conjunction of
old technologies that have matured and can be sold as a "new" product.
As an example, have you noticed that everyone near you has recently
acquired an iPhone?

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

So, are you agreeing with him or flaming him? Serious question - I
can't tell.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

If I must choose I suppose it is flaming but it was more intended as
"warming"! I certainly don't agree that "this generation [is] spoiled
and complacent" when it comes to innovation.

I think that "innovation" is becoming increasingly difficult because
everybody is poised to take advantage of even small changes in
technology. I believe my iPhone example illustrates the point. Smart
phones existed well before the iPhone but it took Apple to package and
market the combination of G3 mobile, relatively large touch screens
and smart phones to turn the idea into a ubiquitous technology. I
think that "Herman" has confused ubiquitous with innovative.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

To quote the US Patent Office - "Everything that can be invented has
been invented."

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

Chuckle, i can just see the kidsx standing there saying "But mum/dad
EVERYONE has one" in there attempts to get some new fad.

<Yet to buy a mobile phone, or a laptop computer, etc>

Site Timeline