OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

**Of course. Like my new refrigerator. My old 'fridge required a 6 monthly defrost, which meant that I had to pull all the stuff out and dig away at the ice. That's 2 hours every six months. My new 'fridge does not require defrosting. Or my car. I NEVER have to adjust the timing, the carby of pretty much anything else. It starts, every time, rain, hail or shine or on the coldest mornings. My old car (which was pretty much the same thing) would hesitate and stall on cold days, required constant attention and consumed vastly more fuel. The addition of moden, complex technology has revolutionised automobiles.

Modern, complex technology is not only helpful, but essential to our daily life.

Sylvia's problem with her oven could have been solved, had she connected the electric portion of the oven to her petrol generator. In fact, the electric portion consumes so little power, than a car battery and a small DC-AC inverter could have been used. Sylvia has the technical abilities to manage this task with consumate ease.

IOW: It was a non-problem. She was just having a whinge.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Chuckle, i can just see the kidsx standing there saying "But mum/dad EVERYONE has one" in there attempts to get some new fad.

Reply to
terryc

Sums it up ncely and when you didn't see any need for the old s**te, you chuckle at the new s**te.

Reply to
terryc

Probably. The ignitor part of our gas cooktop (the oven is electric) has failed. When I contacted the parts place, there were both mains and battery versions available.

Reply to
terryc

No, but then most of the people near me have a few quid left. We tend to follow along in a few years and leapfrog all the pools of blood left as the bleeding edge moves on.

The matured or innovative tech that drives the mobile devices isn't the integrated electronics. What drives them all is the battery developments. I am actually very impressed by that, even if power density is becoming a fire/explosion hazard.

If you don't have battery life you just don't have an iphone, you have an idrinkscoaster.

Which comes back to the gas oven, gas cookers that require power for temperature control and probably a fan as well. No backup, no use of heat to top up the backup? I have a hand cranked LED light , a gas stove with a crank start would be a thing, you can get handcranked radios and probably iphones. Hey, kerosene fridges were an innovation.

Reply to
| || ||| ||||| || |

The food packaging recommended using conventional oven.

The fact that I have a computer that is more powerful than a Cray was doesn't alter the fact that my food, which should have been cooked, was not, nor the fact that something which on the face of it is pretty trivial to implement has neverthess been designed or constructed with a fault.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Looks like you sought to criticise my post (or was it me) without having read it properly. The problem was not that the oven could not cook during a power outage, but that for some unknown reason it decided not to cook despite power being available.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

**This is the line I focussed on:

"Leaving aside the fact that this means that a gas oven doesn't work during power cuts,"

Ovens are extremely simple devices (their control sections are barely more than a fancy clock/radio, without the radio). Finding and sorting out the issue should take little time. I'd suggest replacing any electrolytic caps in the control section. They will likely be rated at 125 degrees C or higher. Element 14 should be able to provide suitable replacements.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

**Packaged food? Urk.

**It is morely that there is a simple fault with the timer system. I'd look at the electrolytic caps. Given the rigors of oven temperatures, electrolytic caps are the parts most likely to fail prematurely. It is certainly what failed in my oven. I didn't blame it on fancy technology, as the control system allows for convenience not obtainable in the Victorian era cooking equipment.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

The words "Leaving aside" should have been a clue that that wasn't the central point I was making.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

ring

Sideways comments are pretty instrumental in todays vocabulary.

Reply to
Graham Cooper

The user manual (who reads those?) devotes most of a page to the issues associated with failure to ignite the gas, and describes pretty much the behaviour I've seen. It looks like either the igniter doesn't work properly (though it works most of the time), or the flame sensor doesn't (ditto). What's clearly lacking in the design is any sort of alarm to alert the user to the problem. The user is expected to observe that the system has adopted a "safe" state by noting that the thermostat indicator is on, but the flame is off, which is a tad hard to do if one's in a different room at the time.

The old gas ovens solved the problem of gas not igniting during cooking by reducing the flame when the oven was hot enough, rather than extinguishing it.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

If the oven just plain didn't work, I'd have a chance of fixing it, and knowing that I had. As things stand, it misbehaves just occasionally.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

't

is

=A0I

ravel

OK, let's cut the bullshit right now before you even begin. The first space travel program was the Mercury Program in 1958, so if we are to take your word as true, you were a fully qualified electronics engineer employed by NASA at what, 7 years of age or so? I'm surprised we have not heard of you before now.

Reply to
Coach

**Meanwhile, those of us in more enlightened areas have electrically powered ovens (I accept the clear advantages of gas cooktops), which don't seem to have the sorts of silly problems you've encountered. We certainly don't cook "packaged foods". Fresh is best.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Sylvia, I suggest you install a video surveillance system so you can observe your oven while in other rooms. It need not be anything fancy, just a cheap webcam connected to your home LAN.

Reply to
Wolfgang Wildeblood

I know people who'd pay to watch a chicken roasting!

I might have a quick glimpse myself on voyeur view..

$2/min

Reply to
Graham Cooper

I was thinking of something more sophisticated to monitor the states of the flame and thermostat light, and sound a klaxon audible three streets away if there's a discrepancy.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Element 14 should be able to provide suitable replacements.

What were Farnell execs thinking? Element 14? Why didn't they go for iPart 2.0 ?

Reply to
Brad

The Canadians would:

TORONTO =96 Canada already has a hypnotic Fireplace Channel on the local airwaves each Christmas, where a yule log burns in a fireplace 24/7.

Turns out ambient TV is catching on here as Rogers Cable introduces a digital TV channel with a constant loop of roasting chickens turning on a spit.

The Media in Canada newspaper reports Rogers has teamed up with the Swiss Chalet fast food chain to launch the all-chicken channel on Feb.

28 for digital TV subscribers as part of a major product placement deal.

The mesmerizing Rotisserie Channel will feature two rows of finger- licking good birds roasting in an open-flame oven, with crackling fire sound effects in the background.

Read more: Canada Gets All-Chicken TV Channel =96 Hollywood Reporter | Canada News

Reply to
Brad