OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

This is a short rant prompted by the fact that I'll have to wait longer
than I expected for my dinner.

When I was a child, we had a simple gas oven. It had a mechanical
thermostat that controlled the flow of gas. You set the thermostat, lit
the oven, let it warm up, put the food in for the required time, and it
was ready.

Now we have gas ovens with electronics. Temperature is controlled by
turning the gas on and off, which requires that it be repeatedly
reignited. Leaving aside the fact that this means that a gas oven
doesn't work during power cuts, for some reason mine occasionally gets
into a state where it refuses to relight the gas, and essentially turns
itself off without any warning. The first one knows about it is when one
goes to remove the food, and discovers that it's not cooked (though by
how much is anyone's guess).

Ovens worked reliably 40 years ago. Why was it necessary to change the
design to something that doesn't?

Hungry Sylvia.

Re: OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

It's Birds Eye Vs McCain in my oven!

This isn't a metaphor about consecutive Windows versions getting
buggier is it?

Re: OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

I wish it were - I'm already used to that, and know what precautions to
take.

Sylvia.

Re: OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

It's Birds Eye Vs McCain in my oven!

This isn't a metaphor about consecutive Windows versions getting
buggier is it?

The reverse is true, consecutive versions of Windows are getting more and
more stable.

Re: OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

by removing half of the most useful features.

Re: OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

Such as?

Re: OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

...and your original claim that consecutive versions of windows got buggier
is utter nonsense regardless. From 1.x to XP saw more and better features
and increased stability all the way through (except for Win ME perhaps).

Re: OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

Well I just typed in PAY into the search box and got

Think you have to pay taxes?  Think again!
Looking to buy traffic with paypal
Nailed to a cross to die further for innocent...
More RAM please add memory to your computer

and a dozen more CONVERSATIONS nothing do do with my PAY.XLS file I
wanted to search for

the memory card in the side of the computer never registers anywhere,
I have to open pictures just to see what the height and width are, I
don't even know what the file type is on the pictures they are HPP
PHOTO FILE whatever that is!  I can't uninstall half of the programs,
every time I click a wrong key the form submits with half the data on
it or goes to a new page and my form entry is lost, 20 windows popup
every day because my fingers slip on some keyboard shortcut, dozens
more...

I don't even TRY to find a function any more - everything is disabled
and hidden to force you to upgrade next version.

Re: OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

 You're just incompetent.

Re: OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

have to download everything twice because there's no way to find
recent files
have to click 20 directories every time you upload
have to scroll past WINDOWS and MICROSOFT and OFFICE links to run
EXCEL which is under STARTER EDITION
have to search to find Accessories
set as background does exactly that - never accomplishes setting the
background image
most menus are disabled
there's MY_DOWNLOADS DOWNLOADS USER/../DOWNLOADS which is never the
same download directory
clicking on MY_DOCUMENTS asks for a system password
DESKTOP moves around the directory structure half the time it's under
FAVORITES
it still can't multitask
IE freezes even though the page has mostly loaded
I click View Images and the prompt is DO YOU WANT TO SEE ..... just
the secure images... and the correct response is NO

I don't even program on the thing I just view the internet and that's
20!

[...]

As I said, you're incompetent.

Re: OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

As in he can't even count to twenty.

Re: OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

That's crap, Clocky. ME was one of the best; it's 98 that used to
crash every two hours no matter how gently one treated it. The problem
with ME was its lack of unicode support. That was the only immediate
benefit when you updated from ME to XP.

Re: OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

Nope.

ME was one of the best; it's 98 that used to

Nope, 98SE was the best version of Windows until XP came out. ME had too
many driver issues.

The problem

XP was a huge leap forward, ME was only good if you had the right hardware
else it was a dog. 98SE was the best of both world, stable, good drtiver
support and good backward compatibility.

Re: OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

I'll take your word for it. I never used 98SE - went straight from 98
to ME and loved it. 98 should never have seen the light of day, it was
a disaster. Mine used to BSOD after two or three hours even if it was
just sitting there untouched.

I'll agree that XP was a leap forward from 98/SE/ME under the bonnet,
but WRT usability I just don't see it.

Re: OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

I can't say I had many problems with it, apart from some hibernation issues
and the odd dodgey driver, it was pretty stable on the dozens of systems I
installed it on when I was selling systems. It certainly wasn't perfect, but
it was a huge leap forward from Win95 which was unstable.

I guess it depends on what you use your computer for.

Re: OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

Not a fan of Win 2K? I thought it was a huge improvment over 9x in
terms of stability.

Re: OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

Stability yes, but not so much features for the average home user. XP
changed that.

Re: OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

one that I miss is telnet.exe

I don't actually use windows but am called upon to debug problems with
it on occasion, and telnet was a great way to check id a SMTP or
HTTP server was accessable and functional before diving into the
innards of application configuration options.

hyperterminal was useful for debugging problem with serial port
hardware.

neither of these programs was ideal, but they were good enough.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

---

Re: OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

It's there under XP, dunno on later versions of Windows though - I don't use
them ;-)