OT: Musings on CFC afterimages

As I look at a CFC from my armchair, I observe that it is so bright that I cannot see the spiral structure. Presumably the receptors in my eyes are saturated.

Yet when I look away, I find that in the afterimage, the structure is clearly evident. Apparently receptor saturation is not such a simple process.

That is, something invisible in the image is visible in the afterimage.

Not sure what, if any, significance this has, but if there's a Nobel prize in it, I could do with the cash.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Do that long enough and you might go blind!

Reply to
JW

Try this some time:

Get a serious photoflash, 100 joules maybe. Get dark adapted, and look at a newspaper or some other detailed object at short range. Flash it. The sequence of afterimages is amazing.

  1. Atomic whiteout

  1. Crystal clear spooky image. You can't read much of the print because you can't pan the image

  2. Clear reversed image

  1. Fadeout

John

**Where do you find a CFC that has a spiral structure? All the ones I've found are either folded tubes or helical structures.

I hate it when people confuse the helix (like a lighthouse staircase) with the spiral (like an LP groove).

Pedant mode [OFF]

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

cannot see the spiral structure. Presumably the

evident. Apparently receptor saturation is not such

it, I could do with the cash.

I just tried that and I couldn't see the keyboard key labels for the afterimage....

The colours reverse in afterimages, too.

fritz

"Stupider than Anyone Else"

** CFC = Collingwood Football Club ??

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

**Like her mistaking a helix for a spiral, I believe she is talking about CFLs.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Chlorinated Fluorocarbon????

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I dunno either - I thought Chlorinated Fluorocarbon.

Maybe Sylvia will tell us.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

"Trevor Wilson"

** Outside the narrow worlds of math and science - the correct word IS spiral.

Makers all call their helical CFLs " Spiral ".

We have " spiral staircases " and leaves "spiral down" as they fall from trees.

Bloody pedant.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Compact fluorescent lamp.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Here's one I saw on another group today.

Mike

Reply to
amdx

However, the usage of "spiral" in the sense of a helix is one that is included in the Macquarie Dictionary. You may not like it, but it is one of the meanings that the word now has.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Yes, I got it wrong. Others managed to figure out what I intended for themselves.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Given the definition of the word "enough", I'd have thought it was a certain outcome, so why the weasel word "might"?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

No, Combined Federal Campaign...

Reply to
Robert Baer

On a sunny day (Sat, 22 Jan 2011 00:03:04 -0800) it happened Robert Baer wrote in :

FYI google gave "Chinese Footbal Club" as the first link.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

themselves.

It was pretty obvious to anone with a brain what you meant. I thought it was just a typo.

Reply to
fritz

Mistaking ? Funny that you would think that. Have you ever seen a spiral-bound notebook ? The wire bit doesn't look like a spiders web.

Reply to
fritz

in the Macquarie Dictionary. You may not like it,

Traditional geometry describes a spiral as a flat figure (the Spiral of Archimedes) and a helix as like the threads on a bolt. But common usage has mixed them up, hence the spiral-bound notebook etc.

Reply to
fritz