OT: Musings on CFC afterimages

As I look at a CFC from my armchair, I observe that it is so bright that
I cannot see the spiral structure. Presumably the receptors in my eyes
are saturated.

Yet when I look away, I find that in the afterimage, the structure is
clearly evident. Apparently receptor saturation is not such a simple
process.

That is, something invisible in the image is visible in the afterimage.

Not sure what, if any, significance this has, but if there's a Nobel
prize in it, I could do with the cash.

Sylvia.

Re: OT: Musings on CFC afterimages

Do that long enough and you might go blind!

Re: OT: Musings on CFC afterimages

Given the definition of the word "enough", I'd have thought it was a
certain outcome, so why the weasel word "might"?

Sylvia.

Re: OT: Musings on CFC afterimages

Where's "WhySoSerious?" when you need him? (Probably still trying to come
up with a plausible reason for not handling high ohm resistors by their
leads...)

Re: OT: Musings on CFC afterimages

Or shaking his head at the number of people who don't seem to get his
style of humour.

Sylvia.

Re: OT: Musings on CFC afterimages

A sane person would figure out that it wasn't working.

Re: OT: Musings on CFC afterimages

Only that it's not working with a number of people.

Sylvia.

Re: OT: Musings on CFC afterimages

Where "a number" is the universal set.

Re: OT: Musings on CFC afterimages
On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 01:28:26 +1100, Sylvia Else

Try this some time:

Get a serious photoflash, 100 joules maybe. Get dark adapted, and look
at a newspaper or some other detailed object at short range. Flash it.
The sequence of afterimages is amazing.

1. Atomic whiteout

2. Crystal clear spooky image. You can't read much of the print
because you can't pan the image

3. Clear reversed image

4. Fadeout

John

Re: OT: Musings on CFC afterimages

Chlorinated Fluorocarbon????

http://www.coolopticalillusions.com/jesusillusion.htm

Cheers!
Rich

Re: OT: Musings on CFC afterimages

 Here's one I saw on another group today.
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Japanese-Eye-Test.html
                         Mike

Re: Musings on CFC afterimages

**Where do you find a CFC that has a spiral structure? All the ones I've
found are either folded tubes or helical structures.

I hate it when people confuse the helix (like a lighthouse staircase) with
the spiral (like an LP groove).

Pedant mode [OFF]

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Musings on CFC afterimages

However, the usage of "spiral" in the sense of a helix is one that is
included in the Macquarie Dictionary. You may not like it, but it is one
of the meanings that the word now has.

Sylvia.

Re: Musings on CFC afterimages

in the Macquarie Dictionary. You may not like it,

Traditional geometry describes a spiral as a flat figure (the Spiral of
Archimedes) and a helix as like the threads on a bolt. But common usage
has mixed them up, hence the spiral-bound notebook etc.

Re: Musings on CFC afterimages

Indeed.
Geometry, or any other discipline, can be stringent as to how any word is
used within that discipline.
In the world at large, anything goes.
It comes as a surprise to many people that a dictionary is not an manual of
instructions. It is an attempt to record what is common usage. As the great
unwashed misuderstand and mis-use the language, eventually dictionaries
reflect it.

Re: Musings on CFC afterimages

"T.T."

** Dictionaries have always been DESCRIPTIVE rather than PROSCRIPTIVE
publications.

Shame that few schools explain this to students or detail how one is created
or all would realise the fact.  Instead dictionaries are used solely as
references for correct spelling and meaning -  which leads to all the
trouble.

Plus, languages are living things -  new words arise all the time and old
ones acquire new or altered meanings. Hence the constant need for new and
updated dictionaries.

BTW:

Even the worst pedants will normally acknowledge a famous dictionary as
authoritative  -  but not our TW!!!

The monumental fool is way out on the lunatic fringe, even among pedants.

.....  Phil

Re: Musings on CFC afterimages

cannot see the spiral structure. Presumably the
evident. Apparently receptor saturation is not such
it, I could do with the cash.

I just tried that and I couldn't see the keyboard key labels for the
afterimage....

The colours reverse in afterimages, too.
http://www.moillusions.com/2010/06/american-psycho-in-color.html

Re: Musings on CFC afterimages

"Stupider than Anyone Else"

** CFC =  Collingwood Football Club ??

.... Phil

Re: Musings on CFC afterimages

**Like her mistaking a helix for a spiral, I believe she is talking about
CFLs.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Musings on CFC afterimages

"Trevor Wilson"

** Outside the narrow worlds of math and science  -  the correct word  IS
spiral.

 Makers all call their helical CFLs  " Spiral ".

 We have " spiral staircases "  and leaves "spiral down" as they fall from
trees.

 Bloody pedant.

.....  Phil

Site Timeline