OT: More Ebay !@#$

As if the upcoming forced PayPal thing isn't enough, I just tried to
leave some feedback for a buyer and got a lovely pop-up message
message telling me the feedback rules have changed and sellers no
longer have an option to leave negative or neutral feedback!, among
other things...
http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/feedback-changes.html

Luckily the alternative is growing:
http://www.oztion.com.au /
Time for me to give it a try I recon.

Dave.

Re: OT: More Ebay !@#$

Yes, I noticed that silly rubbish too yesterday, also the other
recently introduced methods are listed that are basically "sanitising"
feedback.  Ebay seems to do nothing about non-paying winning bidders,
and in some sections (ie CD's) in my experience there would be easily
a 40-50% "non payer" ratio on sales, costing you more and more in re-
listing fees

I signed up to oztion this week, just did the ID verification and will
start soon and see how it goes. Thinking of trying a store - the $5 a
month seems reasonable if it gets good results.

I certainly do NOT intend to put up with Ebay (via compulsory paypal)
ripping the cream (and more) out of any income I make from my sales
and unlike CC merchants in real shops - being unable to pass on the
fee to buyers. its really not worth the effort of listing many items.

Having been a seller on ebay for about 5 years now, I notice a trend n
recent weeks (especially since the controversy over "paypal only"
rules) the number of Ebay buyers is drying up and what is selling is
going for a lot less than it was. - however interest rates and lower
consumer spending could be the main reason for all I know.

This will lead to the bad situation of sellers putting minimum
starting prices for fear of "giving the item away" by starting at 99c

I (as a seller) always liked the .99 starting price with most things
it seems to attract a lot of interest, (competing bids), the activity
makes the item look "alive" and "wanted" , usually a results in fair
and accurate market price, and often would result in a sale at more
than expected price :)

What Ebay Australia doesn't seem to realise is that if sellers start
doing this, or just not listing/listing less/listing only rubbish they
are happy to get rid of even if its only $1, but nothing of real
value , it reduces the incentive for buyers to browse as often or at
all, as the range is reduced, or the buyer "perceives" something is
out of their price range or not good value.  Leads to less bidders,
and less sellers and the vicious circle continues downwards.

Re: OT: More Ebay !@#$

I'm a reasonably large eBay seller, but I can see a bright side to all
this. I've long resented the stranglehold eBay has had with online
'auctions', especially since Sold.com.au folded. I think these recent
changes will be the last straw for a significant amount of people, I too
have noticed the drop off and also notices how Oztion is really picking
up very recently. So this is all good I'm hoping :)

I'll wager eBay will back off and at least drop the Paypal bullshit
eventually... but hopefully enough momentum will be behind the
alternatives by then.

Re: OT: More Ebay !@#$

I can look at this from the other perspective as a buyer, and while I only
buy CD's  and music DVD's,  I really can't see any difference in  the buying
and selling under what will be a new  system.  From what I can see,  the big
sellers are still all there, ands still selling well.  plus  pay-pal suits
me, as it's quick, easy and probably as  safe as any other payment way  we
have. In fact I will soon see just how safe  pay-pal is  as I have a
non-delivery claim going at the moment.  But I do buy a large number of CD's
// DVD's  so I,m bound to strike a wrong-un, every so often.
 With regard to  E-bay and the way it treats it's clients, I think they will
always protect there sellers, as they generate more income  then the buyers
pay-pal  fee's  do.  And while the  buyer  can spend there money elsewhere
the sellers are stuck in one place.

 This is demonstrated by the  review of the negative / neutral / positive
feedback system,  and while you can no longer flag a negative purchase,
nothing's stopping you from reporting a bad deal.  I had one recently where
the seller  wanted  "direct deposit" but failed to supply  any banking
details,  When I e-mailed and asked  for details, she said I was rude for
asking and refused  to supply details.  She then logged a non-payment  claim
on me,  plus negative feedback.  E-bay backed her fully  and  I was told as
I was uncooperative the bad feedback could not be removed.  They once again
backed the seller, even though I had no way of  complying or completing the
deal.
Had  a Pay-pal only  provision been in place,  this would not and could not
have happened.

Oztion  play the same game  with  there relationship  with the sellers  and
the buyers  have no protection.  I find the  prices on Oztion in the CD /
DVD  sections to be higher,  except  one  SHONK who  should be  thrown out
seems to operate with impunity despite  numerous complaints.  he also offers
free postage, and seems to loose 50% of his  postal  packages.  failed to
deliver, lost in transit, unable to locate order,  Then he gets  a few
glowing  feedback reports, no doubt written by himself, then the shonky
deals start again.  and despite many complaints Oztion sit on there hands
and do bugger all

But like all things  Time will tell and judge  what works and who survives

                       bassett

Re: OT: More Ebay !@#$

I guess it all boils down to if you like paypal or not.
Personally, I don't, and prefer doing bank transfers.

I had to get a Paypal payment refunded this year - it took forever even
though there was no question where the problem lay (the seller)... I
eventually got the 'refund'... one small problem: Paypal's idea of a
'refund' is to credit your Paypal account - no true refund was available
according to them.

I also plain don't like that Paypal and eBay are owned by the same
company... and I especially have resented the increasingly overt way
they've been shoving it down our throats. EG, when checking out in eBay
to pay for an item, in recent months the Paypal option is large and
prominent, almost implying that is the only option - bank deposit is
down below in small type.

Anyway, thats just how it is I guess.

As for Oztion, I can recall soon after it started - whoever is running
that show would often go through the seller's feedback and remove all
the negative feedbacks... I remember that quite well.

What can you do - they all suck one way or the other, one just has to
make their choices I suppose. Ultimately, the online auction thing has
been a great thing.

Re: OT: More Ebay !@#$

I don't think so. It's all about Ebay just being plain evil and not giving
anyone any option any more.
Forever upping fees and now trying to screw everyone that one last time.
It's been going on for many years now, but this latest one is the mother of
all screwjobs.
I can't imagine what they will want to do next.

I actually like PayPal as a service, it's ridiculously convenient for both
buyer and seller, inside and outside of eBay. Much more convenient than bank
transfers. Fees aside of course.

That's what everyone hates. But it wasn't so bad until all this forced crap
started though.

There are many more examples like that too.
They are the masters of visual and interactive manipulation.

Dave.

Re: OT: More Ebay !@#$

(snip)

Not necessarily.  You are just as reliant on the seller providing their paypal
account info (address) as the direct deposit banking details.

Re: OT: More Ebay !@#$
How do work that out ???
If the seller (or buyer) does not give this info then they cannot get an
account and therefore no deal.

--
Laurie.
Registered Linux user # 468070

Re: OT: More Ebay !@#$

Yes, SAME IN BOTH CASES.

Read what he said, then read what I said.

Re: OT: More Ebay !@#$

Incorrect,  IF  your registered  with pay-pal,  it's simply a matter of
clicking  "pay now"  and everything's automatic,, Not only  don't you know
the  sellers  real name, you don't also have access to his banking details,
Where-as with DD, the seller is obliged to  provide BSB and account details
plus a name.

DD is just as easy if  you have E-bank,  but many maintain that electronic
transfer takes 3 days to register on there accounts, and they seem to use
this as an excuse  for late delivery.

            bassett

Re: OT: More Ebay !@#$

if you have a Commonwealth account, it easily takes 3 days for funds
to show up. ANZ its usually 2, but if its another anz customer doing
the transfer its pretty much instant.

Clearance times for non-cash payments seem about 4 days in practice.

Re: OT: More Ebay !@#$

PayPal makes international transaction much simpler, where DD is not a practical
option.

Re: OT: More Ebay !@#$

correct, and a big point.
DD usually attracts a $22AUD international bank fee. It will at CBA,
other banks may vary.

Western Union in many cases, costs more than the product.
So PP simplifies International transactions. A necessary evil if you
deal internationally.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: OT: More Ebay !@#$

 You really can't be series about using  Western Union,  for international
money exchanges.  there about as reliable as  a nine pound note.  Many
on-line auction houses [including flea-bay]  simply won't allow WU  to be
used  and have there services banned on there sites.  Places like AudiogoN,
use it for internal  [USA only] transactions.  or they allow pay-pal if your
prepared  to add the 3% commissions

                      bassett

Re: OT: More Ebay !@#$
On May 27, 8:32 am, swanny
practical

agree.  Unless the seller is a card merchant, I cant think of another
practical way of international buying for the average person.

Re: OT: More Ebay !@#$
practical

http://www.paymate.com.au /

Similar to Paypal in that you can make and receive payments, but
Australian owned (afaik) and they deposit the money straight into your
bank account.

Re: OT: More Ebay !@#$

Thanks for the link,  I must admit I haven't used  there service,   and as
Flea-bay own  pay-pal,  there not likely to allow another  banking service
into there organisation.
 But I think that Oztion, have it listed as a payment option

     bassett

Re: OT: More Ebay !@#$
practical

PayMate have been around for many years and are very good (and
Australian).  I used them when they first started because at the time
they allowed you to accept direct credit card payments on your website
or auction without the user having to sign up. That was pretty radical
in it's day.

Back then, to use PayPal the buyer had to have an existing PayPal
account. It's different now though, PayPal now allow the buyer to pay
direct without joining. But in the usual PayPal/eBay style, they make
that option less visually obvious to the buyer.

Dave.

Re: OT: More Ebay !@#$

Yep, that could be a factor. I'm a bricks and mortar type retailer and am
finding that business has declined. The mortgage belt is hurting.
Mortgage repayments plus increasing petrol costs plus rising food bills =
less money for other item.

Re: OT: More Ebay !@#$

I noticed my own feedback jumped overnight by about 10%  just recently.  It
seems they've also changed how they calculate that.

There are two widely discussed ways of addressing the paypal-only situation.
One is simply to build an extra amount into the P&H to cover feebay's paypal
ripoff fee i.e. directly pass it on to the buyer - and even say so in the
listing.  The other is cash on pickup (until they kill that off).  Of course
whether it is actually cash-on-pickup or nudge-wink-direct-deposit feebay
wouldn't know.

I wonder if it will actually get any amount of churn out of this fiasco.

Site Timeline