OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape - Page 2

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape

This "action" is being seriously discouraged and actively stopped in the US
by means of door-locking mechanism retrofits designed to make it impossible
to open the doors from the inside no matter how strong you are. For "your"
safety of course, apparently a few people die every year scaping from
elevators instead of waiting, they fall or are crushed while doing so. I
agree that people should wait inside until rescued, but in case of fire,
removing that option is someting i can't agree with. It should be a matter
of educating people. Anyway, here in my country elevators don't have escape
hatches...

Best Regards

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape

Education: The process of inserting abstract thoughts into concrete heads.

Cheers!
Rich

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape

Or nowadays, vice versa.  Should be, anyway.

Cheers,
James Arthur

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net says...>

Excellent point.

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape

probably scared the thing might start up again at any moment.

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape

Where did you pee?

Thanks,
Rich

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape

Simple.  Recycle the beer bottles.

Thanks,

Michael

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape
Wouldn't do much about reducing the weight. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape
snipped-for-privacy@example.net says...>
Someone got the shaft.

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape

Down the crack in front of the door ;-)

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape

Some friends toured a brewery in Bavaria, then found their rental
Mercedes' door lock had frozen shut, leaving them stuck out in the
cold.

Fortunately they realized they had large loads of warm fluid
available to defrost the stubborn lock, and they were drunk enough
not to care who watched.

Halfway through the defrosting operation, one of them noticed another,
identical Mercedes parked not far away.

"Hey, isn't that our car over there?"

Yep, it was.

Cheers,
James Arthur

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net says...>

I sure hope they didn't "lick the flag pole".

My FIL did that.  He broke the key off in someone else's car door
before noticing that the next car over looked a *lot* like his.

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape

When
hours

ER, didn't you just *relocate* the "overveigth" rather than actually reduce
it?
Unless you pissed it down the elevator shaft perhaps :-)

MrT.

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape
I assume you mean you poured it away because there's a serious flaw in
your logic if you don't (although there's a more serious flaw if you
*did* pour it away)
--
Clint Sharp

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape

snip---

Also strange, in Australia you are in a lift. In the US it becomes an
elevator.

In Australia if you walk straight in from ground level, and go up just
one level, you would be getting off at the first floor.

Not so in the states. You enter on the first floor, and get off at the
second. There is no 13th floor in the U.S. Or is that 12th?
:-) The modern lift was first used in NY, NY, so I guess it is an elevator.

I got stuck in the brand spanking new Victorian Motor Registration
Branch lift (elevator?)in the early 70s. Trip lasted 3 hours. No
additional charge.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape

I've been in buildings that have a 13th floor, probably designed by
someone who wasn't all that superstitious. (although, you do lose the
"secret floor" when you do that.)  ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape

Downtown Vancouver has a building, the address is:
666 Burrard St.
iirc..it has no 13th floor..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_the_Beast

Even when you count the floors from the ground
10..11..12...Arrrrrghhh.....14..15..

k..just joking.

D from BC
myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com
British Columbia
Canada

Re: OT(kinda): Die Hard style escape

   I've never seen that.  Most in the US start with a basement, 'B',
then the numbered floors, starting with '1'.  If there is no basement,
the first floor can be either the ground or first floor, and in some
buildings, both will be used, depending on when that part was built.

  You would be really confused in some large complexes built on rolling
land, where the 'Basement' is ground level in some parts.  The VA
hospital in Gainesville, Fl. is one of these places.  The MRI/Ultrasound
lab is near the middle of a tunnel that goes under the main road, and to
another hospital across the street, so it is about eight feet lower than
the basement.

   BTW, if there are several basement levels, the number goes up, the
deeper you go.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html