OT: It's WAR! EEVblog ripoff

Check it out:
http://www.warvideoblog.com /

Wow, déjà!

Good to know I'm popular enough to get blatantly copied in an attempt for ad
revenue

Dave.

Re: OT: It's WAR! EEVblog ripoff

http://www.netip.de/search?query20%9.151.224.237
Los Angeles USA is about all I can find out.

WOW! That is a blatant ripoff, but I think you already said something
like that Dave.

Getting revenue on your input.

What (if anything) to do about it?

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: OT: It's WAR! EEVblog ripoff

Whois:

Registrant:
   warvideoblog.com
   547 Skinner Hollow Road
   Haines, California 97833
   United States

   Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com )
   Domain Name: WARVIDEOBLOG.COM
      Created on: 16-Jul-08
      Expires on: 16-Jul-10
      Last Updated on: 10-Apr-09

   Administrative Contact:
      Bryant, Jerome K   snipped-for-privacy@warvideoblog.com
      warvideoblog.com
      547 Skinner Hollow Road
      Haines, California 97833
      United States
      +1.5418563392      Fax -- +1.5418563392

   Technical Contact:
      Bryant, Jerome K   snipped-for-privacy@warvideoblog.com
      warvideoblog.com
      547 Skinner Hollow Road
      Haines, California 97833
      United States
      +1.5418563392      Fax -- +1.5418563392

   Domain servers in listed order:
      NS33.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
      NS34.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

hosted here:

web04.lax1.pronethosting.net (209.151.224.237)

http://www.pronethosting.net /

send 'em an email!

i enjoy your blog dave, we can't have people blatantly ripping off your hard
work now, can we?

cheers,

tim.

Re: OT: It's WAR! EEVblog ripoff

Unfortunately the site is set up so it appears to be owned by
you and then cleverly links to your content so it's  going to
be almost impossible to stop it.

You should do a blog about it and discuss what you think of
such weasels as well as a short preface to all you videos:
"Unfortunately some opportunists have tried to hijack my content
for advertising purposes, so I am categorically denying all
involvement with any site other than my own site www.xxx.yyy.zzz and
YouTube where the videos are
hosted"

   It's not as bad as the site that blatantly plagiarises an
article about making PCB's including photo's and diagrams then
passes it off as their own content.

Re: It's WAR! EEVblog ripoff

Wow again, this gets even more impressive:
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic19%5.msg1871#msg1871

It looks like the site is doing a live mirror of my site, but automatically
replacing all references to "eevblog" with "war video blog", even in the
forum posts!

Dave.

Re: It's WAR! EEVblog ripoff

Shame there's no legal way of punishing people like this.

--
- Mike

Re: It's WAR! EEVblog ripoff

Yeah, could be anywhere on the planet really.
I've managed to block his IP address on my server, so the site is now down
completely. But I guess I'll have to re-anable it for a while so I can
actually prove to his host that he's scraping my site so I can get him shut
down.

Dave.

Re: It's WAR! EEVblog ripoff

I wonder if similar previous events ever have inspired hackers to add
optional "vengence" capability to Wordpress.    Allow certain selected
IPs
to see an alternate version of your blog!  (The all-goatse 2girls
graphic
channel?   The gigabyte-GIF interest blog?)

Re: It's WAR! EEVblog ripoff

I think there are legal ways, but the illegal methods are probably more
satisfying. So this was done to boost ad revenue? The only real "ad" on the
site seems to be Dontronics, and the URL seems legit. But perhaps he gets a
nickle if someone clicks through his site? The links to Digg, Reddit, and
StumbleUpon have warvideoblog in the URL, so maybe those clicks give him
some fast cash?

Hey, I just returned to warvideoblog and the account has been suspended! I
may have been the last one to view it (about 15 minutes ago) before it got
TOS'd.

Paul

Re: It's WAR! EEVblog ripoff

Yep, got him!
"This Account Has Been Suspended"
10 minutes after me sending the DMCA takedown notice to the web host!

That fight was just too easy, no fun at all!

Dave.

Re: It's WAR! EEVblog ripoff

Time to blog about it and what you think about these people.

Re: It's WAR! EEVblog ripoff

I was going to do that, but now it wouldn't hillariously show up on the fake
site, so there is less fun in blogging about it now!

Dave.

Re: It's WAR! EEVblog ripoff

David L. Jones Inscribed thus:

Hi Dave,
Its got to be worth a blog, if only as a warning to others that might
try the same trick.

Anyway keep up the good work.  I find your blogs quite enjoyable and
very entertaining.  :-)

--
Best Regards:
                Baron.

Re: It's WAR! EEVblog ripoff

egistrant:
   warvideoblog.com
   547 Skinner Hollow Road
   Haines, California 97833
   United States

   Domain Name: WARVIDEOBLOG.COM
      Created on: 16-Jul-08
      Expires on: 16-Jul-10
      Last Updated on: 10-Apr-09

   Administrative Contact:
      Bryant, Jerome K
      warvideoblog.com
      547 Skinner Hollow Road
      Haines, California 97833
      United States
      +1.5418563392      Fax -- +1.5418563392

   Technical Contact:
      Bryant, Jerome K
      warvideoblog.com
      547 Skinner Hollow Road
      Haines, California 97833
      United States
      +1.5418563392      Fax -- +1.5418563392

   Domain servers in listed order:
      NS33.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
      NS34.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

Re: It's WAR! EEVblog ripoff

  If someone on the east coast woke at 6:00 am and called him that would
be 3 am his time, think he would want to talk about it? Oh someone else
might
wake up at 6:30 and want to talk. If some call at 7am EST. the phone might
be
off the hook.
                 Mike

Re: It's WAR! EEVblog ripoff

  Google maps says we were not able to locate that address.

Re: It's WAR! EEVblog ripoff

A free t-shirt for the first pics of Jerome?

Re: It's WAR! EEVblog ripoff

Odd, the number is list to a family in Haines Oregon.
Area code 541 is in Oregon, not California.
Do you think he didn't want to be found?
                                       Mike :-)

Re: It's WAR! EEVblog ripoff

Likely was just a junior script kiddie.

Re: It's WAR! EEVblog ripoff

**'Account Suspended' is all I get. It seems you've been successful.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Site Timeline