OT It's all a Bloody con.........

> We are being conned rotten by these green bastards.............Sorry it's OT > > >

You're right !

This is an off topic post.

Conventional light bulbs are not efficient at producing light, they are miniture heaters.

The CFL are designed for maximum light, with reduced power wastage. Sure there is mercury in them, and they dont work with dimmers, but they save a whole lot of money on electricity!

Reply to
Anonymous

snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au...

's OT

b...

They might technically save money on electricity, but the unaffordable upfront cost and the fact that people will leave them on 24/7 because they take too long to warm up will negate any positives. I'm going back to candles and kerosene lamps.

Reply to
TG'sFM

Which is good in winter, not so good in summer if you don't have daylight savings.

Partly offset by the extra purchase cost, and the need to leave them on more. Frankly they both suck, standard FL Tubes and LED lamps are better.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

You seem to have all the answers How do you get rid of the stuffed lamps? The light out put is awful for house interiers. Is the magnesium oxide a danger when they break? They don't fit many existing fittings. And I beg to differ conventional lamps (not bulbs) do produce efficiecient light. Albeit you pay for what you get. Next thing they'll be banning Vegamite ..................

Reply to
Luke O'Zade

Put two of the bloody things in the garage. completely useless, unless you wait 20 seconds for them to fully glow.

Reply to
Sunny

If you were Springy you could root your mrs 4 or 5 times while waiting

Reply to
^Tems^

Not only that but if your power is from coal the conventional light bulb will probably end up putting out more mercury from the coal ash, its debatable how much of it 'gets out there' in eco systems etc.

What I HATE about this whole CFL thing is that people think they are actually making a difference. Last time i checked australia would save something like 800,000 tonnes per year by changing over. Our monthly INCREASE in coal burning is far beyond this. ie. we delayed global warming by about a week. Yets it's advertised that you should 'go green' by changing your lightbuls etc. yeah right... thanks for your insignificant contribution everyone.

Reply to
MisterE

It's an Illuminati thing...

HR

Reply to
HeadRush

By banning these old light globes, you can guarantee there will be a "black market" for them.

Instead of costing 60 UK Pence, they will not cost 5 UK POUNDS.

A good way to make money.

Reply to
Noodle

What will they cost then?

Reply to
=?iso-2022-kr?q?=1B=24=29C=0E=

Are we in the UK?? I had to look out the window to double check.

HR

Reply to
HeadRush

> We are being conned rotten by these green bastards.............Sorry it's OT > > >

You're right !

This is an off topic post.

Conventional light bulbs are not efficient at producing light, they are miniture heaters.

The CFL are designed for maximum light, with reduced power wastage. Sure there is mercury in them, and they dont work with dimmers, but they save a whole lot of money on electricity!

Reply to
Anonymous

some claim this... must have got crap ones.

It's used in bulk as an antacid and laxative.

Ban Vegemite, buy kiwi made Marmite.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au...

it's OT

t-b...

Possibly, yes. You are forgetting that ALL incandesent globes are going to be banned from November this year. This includes the brake light globes in your car. So instead of you instantly seeing red brake lights when the car in front hits the brake, you will only see it 20 seconds or so AFTER the brakes are applied. This WILL lead to more tail ender accidents, and as you suggested, it WILL cause many more road deaths. This isn't the trivial issue you first thought is it?

Reply to
TG'sFM

Possibly, yes. You are forgetting that ALL incandesent globes are going to be banned from November this year. This includes the brake light globes in your car. So instead of you instantly seeing red brake lights when the car in front hits the brake, you will only see it 20 seconds or so AFTER the brakes are applied. This WILL lead to more tail ender accidents, and as you suggested, it WILL cause many more road deaths. This isn't the trivial issue you first thought is it?

LOL. LEDs make fine indicator lights, many vehicles and traffic lights already use them. They're just as visible as incandescents, and less prone to failure.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

The value in it is probably more in training people to think green, which will have flow-on effects to public opinion on all matters green.

Reply to
DavidW

b...

From whom?

Reply to
=?iso-2022-kr?q?=1B=24=29C=0E=

When compact fluorescent light bulbs become conventional, will we call them conventional bulbs?

Reply to
=?iso-2022-kr?q?=1B=24=29C=0E=

They won't become conventional. The whole process will be a dud. Imagine traffic lights that neec 20 seconds to warm up? It simply won't work. It's false economy. Sure, you save a little on electricity, but then you waste electificity on other stuff like when you open the fridge. You have to wait 20 seconds or more before the fridge light warms up and you can see what you want in the fridge.

Reply to
TG'sFM

right-

Driving out to your home to replace the light bulbs enables EnviroSaver to "create" carbon credits, which it then sells to businesses to offset their emissions.

What a ridiculous scheme.

And why shouldn't individuals purchase carbon credits to offset their domestic emissions?

And what about people who run home businesses?

Reply to
=?iso-2022-kr?q?=1B=24=29C=0E=