OT It's all a Bloody con......... - Page 4

Re: OT It's all a Bloody con.........

Not a bad idea, but what about the incandecant light on my Breville
sandwich maker?  It has a red light to tell me it is heating, and a
green light to tell me when it's cooked.  If I remove them (as
required by law after November) will the sandwich maker still work?
The same applies to my Kenwood electric jug, although it only has a
red light to say when the thing is still boiling water.  If I remove
that bulb (as required by law after November) will it still boil water
or do I have to resort to ice coffee?

An what law is that?? Please cite a reference.

The strongest proponent of this stupid idea was Malcolm Turnbull and he does
not have much of a say in anything anymore.

John G.

Re: OT It's all a Bloody con.........

bullshit, those are neons.

there's no law requiring removal of lamps.

it will still cook sandwitches without the lights, only you will have
to listen for the thermostat click, or guess when it's hot enough.

that's a neon too.

http://www.environment.gov.au/settlements/energyefficiency/lighting.html

Re: OT It's all a Bloody con.........

Er, he was not only agreeing with me, but he was also backing up what
I said with a reference.  So tell me, what are YOU here for if not
simply for trolling purposes?  If you aren't interested in debating
this serious issue, then go start your own thread somewhere else.
Preferably in another newsgroup dedicated to morons like you.

Re: OT It's all a Bloody con.........

You don't anyway the lamp goes out when the door is closed!

Re: OT It's all a Bloody con.........

That's a blanket statement that is not the case in MAY fridges -
including mine.

Re: OT It's all a Bloody con.........
How do you know you can't see through the door

Re: OT It's all a Bloody con.........

How bizzare!  You actually wish DEATH upon someone because they don't
want to change the bulb in their fridge?  Geez, you must have led a
protective life so far.

Re: OT It's all a Bloody con.........

Or far more cheaply, wire two in series.

MrT.

Re: OT It's all a Bloody con.........

I'm far from sure that will work properly. When an incandescent lamp is
turned on, its resistance rises as it heats up, over a period of a
fraction of a second. Put two in series, and a slight difference between
the initial resistances will cause one to heat up faster than the other.
The one that heats faster also sees its resistance rise faster, which in
turn means that its rate of heating relative to the other rises further
still.

It's easy to see that the end result of this is that one burns out
before the other can heat up enough to take its share of the load.

Christmas Tree lights are usually wired in series, but the fact that
there's a large number of them reduces this effect.

Sylvia.

Re: OT It's all a Bloody con.........

Christmas Tree lights are NOT wired in series.  If they were, once
just ONE bulb blew out, the whole lot wouldn't work.  Please think
BEFORE you post, in futurer.

Re: OT It's all a Bloody con.........

Seems to me that I have had to go round a set of Christmas Tree lights
to find out which one isn't screwed in properly, thus extinguishing the
entire set.

Sylvia.

Re: OT It's all a Bloody con.........

As soon as I pressed the send key I knew you'd backpedal with this
type of response.  Yes Sylvia, SOME older type christmas lights are
like you say, and every single light must work or none will work, but
since around 1989 they changed the way they made christmas lights and
these days it doesn't matter if you have a blown bulb or more - the
lights will still operate.  But hey, if you want to pick on some
obscure set of lights that you bought back some 3 decades or so from a
garage sale in Dubbo, then so be it.  I most certainly won't lose
sleep over it because I know that you were ONLY using the christmas
light scenario to try to "prove" that you couldn't put two (2) 120v
bulbs in series on a 240v circuit - and you were wrong.  Diverting the
facts doesn't make the facts any more wrongly.

Re: OT It's all a Bloody con.........

I was only observing that Christmas tree lights are not a
counter-example to my belief that putting two incandescent lights in
series is not a good idea.

Saying that Christmas tree lights are wired in series was never going to
be able to prove that two incandescent lights can't be wired in series.
That much should have been obvious even to you.

Sylvia.

Re: OT It's all a Bloody con.........

There are PLENTY of Christmas tree lights on the market (at the end of 2008)
which consist of one string of incandescent bulbs wired in series. There are
also many other types, ranging from LED's to short strings of series-connected
bulbs.

Re: OT It's all a Bloody con.........

but they're still wired in series. (unless they are low voltage with a
transformer) they just put something in each bulb that shorts it out if
it sees a high voltage.  try removing one of the bulbs.

Re: OT It's all a Bloody con.........

| > As soon as I pressed the send key I knew you'd backpedal with this
| > type of response.  Yes Sylvia, SOME older type christmas lights are
| > like you say, and every single light must work or none will work, but
| > since around 1989 they changed the way they made christmas lights and
| > these days it doesn't matter if you have a blown bulb or more - the
| > lights will still operate.
|
| but they're still wired in series. (unless they are low voltage with a
| transformer) they just put something in each bulb that shorts it out if
| it sees a high voltage.  try removing one of the bulbs.

nine in a row go out. (in all the lights I have)

Re: OT It's all a Bloody con.........

Her or YOU?

Yep, very common in the old days. Unfortunately it also means when one globe
blows, there is 240V across it's socket, and they were often not well
protected. But then standard BC or Edison screw lamps aren't either, but at
least are a bit more difficult to reach in most cases.

MrT.

Re: OT It's all a Bloody con.........
The older ones with bigger lamps (about 2" long ) were in series but had
something in the cap that that conducted when lamp blew and if too many
blew the others got brighter until in the end they all blew
You were supposed to change them as they went
The new tiny lamp strings have a combination of series and parallel.

Re: OT It's all a Bloody con.........
Addenda. They did not all have the devices in the cap
Depend on brand

Re: OT It's all a Bloody con.........

Whilst you are correct, and the life expectancy will be reduced to some
degree, in practice it will probably still work out cheaper than buying
240v:120v transformers for every lamp, unless the cost of the globes is much
more than current ones.
(Remember the current flow is the same for both lamps in series, so they
should both stabilise at roughly their expected operating temperatures.
Given normal mass production techniques, the filament resistance and
temperature characteristics will not vary much for similar globes. Probably
NOT a good idea to use dissimilar globes however :-)

However both those ideas are really sub-optimal IMO. And hopefully since
most countries are getting on the band wagon, there will now be an impetus
to improve alternative lamps, and increased production levels will hopefully
reduce their costs even further.

MrT.

Site Timeline