OT: Hard Drive LED

GDay All,

I've just installed an Intel D975XBX2 Motherboard but I'm having a problem
getting the Hard Drive LED to work correctly.

I have connected the LED according to the manual and the LED stays on
constantly.

There is no flickering of the LED at all. Reversing the connections of the
LED gives nothing at all, the LED does not light at any time.

At this point, I'm thinking that perhaps the LED is incorrect for this
application but I'm not sure. It is a 3mm Blue LED as supplied with the
Antec TX1088AMG case.

Anyone have any idea what is wrong??

What should I try next??

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Regards
Andy M

PS. All connections are clearly Marked, so that is NOT the problem.

Full Computer Specs:
Intel D975XBX2
Pentium D 840 EE 3.2ghz
2 Gig Corsair 667mhz DDR2 Ram
Gecube X850XT VIVO Graphics Card

4x Western Digital 250gig SATAII
1x Western Digital 80gig IDE
1x Pioneer DVD-RW  DVR-111D

Re: OT: Hard Drive LED

Andy-

That's a known problem in the older BIOSes.  I think you can fix it by
not disabling the Marvell SATA controller in the BIOS.  There are also
some newer BIOSes on Intel's site:
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID25%78
Note that the latest BIOSes blue-screen on Vista 64 and XP 64, and
don't seem to be as stable when overclocking.

Sean

Re: OT: Hard Drive LED

GDay All,

Sean, thank you very much for the info. It has solved the problem of the HD
LED staying on constantly. I did have the Marvel SATA controller disabled.
Re-enabling the Marvel controller resulted in a working HD LED :)

It seems that Intel have not fixed this problem in the latest BIOS either,
as I already had that installed. Version ...2431

Strangely enough, I had only just finished trying to install Vista 64 and
getting the dreaded BSOD, before jumping back into XP and reading your
reply. Now I know why I got the BSOD ..... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

This is not the sort of thing I expected when I decided to buy an Intel M/B.
I figured that they make the processors, so why not the M/B's to go with
them.

Oh well, you live and learn I guess .... lol

Regards
Andy M

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID25%78

Re: OT: Hard Drive LED

Andy-

I just read that the next BIOS will definitely include the HD LED fix.
It was supposed to be in 2431, but a programmer got pulled off at the
last minute.  I've been emailing them and MS to figure out a fix for
Vista 64, but no luck so far.

Sean