OT:Earth tremor

Just felt an earth tremor in Melbourne SE suburbs. I'll take a stab at magnitude 3.5

Went for about 10 secinds, good side-to-side shaking.

Reply to
Geoff

Geoff wrote in news:Xns9F18E8C52198BGeoff@88.198.244.100:

Just heard that the epicentre was Korumburra, and magnitude 4.4

Reply to
Geoff

Not a bad guess then with the 3.5

Reply to
Dennis

Each numeric increase by 1 is ten times the shaking amplitude, so the original guess was actually off by nearly a factor of ten :-)

Peter

Reply to
Pete

Yeah, I know that but still not a bad result considering he used a seismo-wobbly-legometer to get to that value!

;)

Reply to
Dennis

We had one Tues day too. 6.5 at Taupo - felt it in Wellington bigger than anything I've ever felt before, and that was 200km away !

geoff (a different one).

Reply to
geoff

"geoff" wrote in news:ue-dnTSmXpV2j4nTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Maybe something to do with it being on the same tectonic plate? I don't know what it feels like to esperience a 6.5. A workmate was in Tokyo during the big one there this year and he said it was scary at mag 5.x We have friends in Melbourne from Chistchurch. They won't move back under any circumstances.

Reply to
Geoff

So now they'll be moving on from Melbourne ?!!

geoff

Reply to
geoff

We get a 5.5 here every few years and they are an interesting thing to plan for. Picture frames don't do too well. Had one while driving one time and I thought a wheel was loose.

--
Brad Leyden
6° 43.5816' S 146° 59.3097' E  WGS84