OT:Earth tremor

Just felt an earth tremor in Melbourne SE suburbs. I'll take a
stab at magnitude 3.5

Went for about 10 secinds, good side-to-side shaking.

Re: OT:Earth tremor

Just heard that the epicentre was Korumburra, and magnitude 4.4

Re: OT:Earth tremor

Not a bad guess then with the 3.5

Re: OT:Earth tremor

Each numeric increase by 1 is ten times the shaking amplitude, so the
original guess was actually off by nearly a factor of ten :-)

Peter

Re: OT:Earth tremor

Yeah, I know that but still not a bad result considering he used a
seismo-wobbly-legometer to get to that value!

;)

Re: OT:Earth tremor

We had one Tues day too. 6.5 at Taupo - felt it in Wellington bigger than
anything I've ever felt before, and that was 200km away !

geoff (a different one).

Re: OT:Earth tremor

Maybe something to do with it being on the same tectonic plate?
I don't know what it feels like to esperience a 6.5. A workmate
was in Tokyo during the big one there this year and he said it
was scary at mag 5.x We have friends in Melbourne from
Chistchurch. They won't move back under any circumstances.

Re: OT:Earth tremor

So now they'll be moving on from Melbourne ?!!

geoff

Re: OT:Earth tremor

We get a 5.5 here every few years and they are an interesting thing to
plan for. Picture frames don't do too well. Had one while driving one
time and I thought a wheel was loose.

--
Brad Leyden
6 43.5816' S 146 59.3097' E  WGS84