OT: Earth Hour

While some of my neighbours foolishly turn their lights out and ignite
candles (which produce more CO2 than the lights they replace), I might
just disconnect myself from the grid for an hour, and fire up my petrol
generator instead.

Sylvia.

Re: OT: Earth Hour

Meh!

If you want to feel good, have a glass of wine, should have the same
effect :-)

Re: Earth Hour

And you can save a fortune by disconnecting from the grid completely. It now
costs me as much for "supply charge" as it does for the electricity I use
thanks to the power companies clever way to recoup some of the money lost to
those with solar panels.
58% increase this year alone! Strangely there has been hardly a murmur
though :-(
Thinking a gas generator may be the answer, I'd only pay one supply charge
then, and the excess heat could warm the house in winter.

Trevor.

Re: Earth Hour

It's a nice idea, but I'd be surprised if you could actually save money
that way, once you take into account the cost of the capital involved,
depreciation, and such regular (and other) maintenance as is required.

Even getting the generator to run efficiently is a challenge when you
have the kind of varying load represented by a house.

Sylvia.

Re: Earth Hour

You don't use the generator to directly power the house but rather to
generate electricity to store if you use it as a long term system long term.

Re: Earth Hour

That addresses the efficiency issue, but at the very non-trivial cost of
needing substantial storage capacity.

Sylvia.

Re: Earth Hour

To date, the mains has (mostly*some sites) always been cheaper, but
increasingly there are brackets where it isn't.

There is also the reliability issue, resultant losses and recovery
ability.

Due to the "RV" market, you can get into small storage systems cheaply
before moving onto the higher investment.

Re: Earth Hour

The short term power requirements for a house can be quite high. Turn on
a kettle, a toaster, a microwave and a hair dryer all at once (not so
unlikely), and you're at around 6kW. Want the clothes dryer running as
well? 8kW.

So unless you're willing to reorganise your life, you'll need a system
capable of supplying power at that kind of level, even if not for long
periods. That quickly gets expensive, and the point of this was to save
money.

Sylvia.

Re: Earth Hour

Not a problem

Which is what batteries can do. I run an off grid system at our holiday
house. The cost to convert to an off grid  system from an on grid system
would be not worth it especially as we are running Gel-Cells. However grid
connection in our case was astronomical so it was good value, we're running
a wind and solar array with petrol generator emergency back up

Re: Earth Hour

Which is fine where a grid connection costs too much. But this
sub-thread is premised on the idea that one has a grid connection
already, but decides to relinquish it in favour of on-site generation in
order to reduce the cost.

Sylvia.

Re: Earth Hour

Not worth it then.

Re: Earth Hour

The main breaker will trip by the time you get to 8kW. (less if they are on
the one circuit)  But franky anyone who uses a clothes dryer these days
given the cost of electricity has more money than sense, and is NOT likely
to be looking for solutions to reduce cost when the obvious one is staring
them in the face!

Trevor.

Re: Earth Hour

Who has main breaker smaller than 35A?

--
umop apisdn

Re: Earth Hour

Mine is 30A, (the inline supply fuse is 80A though I believe) and the 2 sub
circuits only 15A each. Never been a problem for me though, got rid of the
clothes dryer 30 years ago.

Trevor.

Re: Earth Hour

If you're silly enough to try and duplicate your mains lifestyle, then it
is going to be very expensive. Generally people who do it moderate/change
their life style to one less energy intensive.

So, the first trick is to lead a  less energy expensive lifestyle.

Re: Earth Hour

That is not what this sub-thread is about.

Sylvia.

Re: Earth Hour

Shrug, it is for me. If you want to talk about prolifigate energy, go for
it.

Re: Earth Hour

WTF does consumption time have to do with a size of feed charge?

Re: Earth Hour

I take it that you think it's obvious that it has nothing to do with it.
You're mistaken. I'll explain why, if you ask the question again in a
civilised way.

Sylvia.

Re: Earth Hour

FO, your argument. Make it or shut up.
You started this shite fight you cross posting troll.

Site Timeline