OT: Detecting bounce in fuel injector

Hi,

A colleague is developing a new fuel injector system which may have broad application after some more research. Basically he is pulsing the injector and can vary the pulse width, when at lower pulsewidths the predicted mass flow does not appear to follow what it would assuming a trapezoidal waveform/motion as a standard type petrol injector does.

He thinks it may be bounce causing this. He wants to measure either/or sound and magnetic field via pickups. I said I thought that both are difficult measurements to interpret with a CRO. He hopes to pickup the harder sound of the injector seal hitting the metal seat. The motion is about 0.1mm p-p. The pulse drive supply is believed to be an open collector/drain driving the injector solenoid, with a reverse biased diode across the coil.

Just looking for ideas on detecting bounce. Apparently electrical detection is difficult because the whole assembly and spring are connected. Seems to me a distance measurement might be the best way, unless a microphone can detect the higher harmonic content of seal- plunger collision.

Reply to
geoffjunkster

[...]

If the injector solenoid actuates a valve it is the valve which is most likely bouncing, not the solenoid.

In a diesel engine valve bounce can excessively lengthen the period between pre-injection and main injection thus reducing the efficiency of fuel burn and producing poorer CO2 results. You didn't say whether you are talking about petrol or diesel injection but I assume that valve bounce is undesirable in both. Modern diesel engines are now using piezo injectors in preference to solenoid injectors. They are 3 times faster and the injection sequence can be more precisely controlled.

A search for patents pertaining to the problem may provide some clues for you

(you may have to register) I haven't studied the text in detail but you can do that. I don't know the equipment used to detect the valve bounce timing graphs but it is probably commercially available.

Essentially, the scheme appears to provide an initial energise pulse to the solenoid and then just prior to the valve reaching the fully open position, re-energising the solenoid again. This purportedly prevents the initial and subsequent bounces and thus reduces the lag between pre-injection and main injection fuel burns.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

You don't say what the duty cycle is. Also all rules for automotive use have now changed and I would suggest before going any further to get your mate to acquaint himself with CANbus technology. PWM Solenoids are now working on much higher frequencies/duty cycles.

IIRC most automotive PWM solenoids use the liquid they are metering as a "shock absorber" and so reducing the bounce/"hysteresis"

Cheers TT

Reply to
TT

you

may have to register)

Low viscosity fuel. Thats good info about the piezo and the patent, thanks.

Reply to
geoffjunkster

Not sure I understand the question, but the duty cycle will be much the same as for a petrol engine, maybe a bit higher due to a lower calorific value of the fuel. I know about the fuel damping the bounce. Maybe you are implying that high PWM frequencies are being used to effectively control the solenoid a bit more accurately so as to simulate a current source or whatever.

Reply to
geoffjunkster

: > IIRC most automotive PWM solenoids use the liquid they are metering as a : > "shock absorber" and so reducing the bounce/"hysteresis" : >

: > Cheers TT : : Not sure I understand the question, but the duty cycle will be much : the same as for a petrol engine,

Frequency = How many times per second it turns on and off. Duty Cycle = How long it is left on or off as a percentage, hence "pulse width"

maybe a bit higher due to a lower : calorific value of the fuel. : I know about the fuel damping the bounce. Maybe you are implying that : high PWM frequencies are being used to effectively control the : solenoid a bit more accurately so as to simulate a current source or : whatever.

Obviously the way to stop seat bounce is to raise the frequency as the idea is to not have the valve to continue to slam into the seat and thus cause wear but to have it in a controlled "float" position so it can vary an orifice size and thus meter the liquid. The only time you want the valve to contact the seat is when it has stopped metering.

I should add I am in no way an expert in the field I just fix the things when they are broken ;-)

Cheers TT

Reply to
TT